Secret to Youth: Elderly Bees?

Observations, thoughts and your stories about living in Thailand, share them here. 'My life in Thailand' or 'Observations on Living in Thailand'.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Postby MGV12 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:24 pm

Maybe retiring to Thailand and having a baby doesn't just make you feel younger:

Elderly bees.jpg

Could observations of bee behavior help us develop new, non-drug treatments for age-related dementia?

A new study from Arizona State University, published in the journal Experimental Gerontology, suggests that might be possible. Researchers from Arizona State University and the Norwegian University of Life Sciences, led by Dr. Gro Amdam, conducted an experiment in which they altered older bees’ daily routines. The scientists found that, given an unusual change of nest responsibilities, older honey bees can functionally reverse brain aging.

Normally, honey bees start their lives working as nurse bees, feeding the larvae and cleaning their colony’s nest. As long as they work inside the hive, they remain mentally competent. However, as they grow older, their primary responsibility shifts to foraging. Amdam describes the effect this job has on bees, and how it led to his team’s hypothesis:

“After just two weeks, foraging bees have worn wings, hairless bodies, and more importantly, lose brain function – basically measured as the ability to learn new things. We wanted to find out if there was plasticity in this aging pattern so we asked the question, ‘What would happen if we asked the foraging bees to take care of larval babies again?’”

In order to explore this issue, the scientists guided the bees into performing more social tasks (working as nurse bees). First, they removed all the younger nurse bees from the nest, leaving the larvae and queen unattended. When the older, foraging bees returned home, they lessened their activity for a few days, and then adjusted their duties to account for the young nurse bees’ absence. Some of the older bees remained foragers, while others took up the task of caring for the larvae and nest. ASU News reports that “after 10 days, about 50 percent of the older bees caring for the nest and larvae had significantly improved their ability to learn new things.”

The researchers also compared the brains of the improved bees to the brains of the unchanged bees. They discovered a noticeable increase in two key proteins in the improved bees’ brains: Prx6 (which is also found in humans and can help against dementia) and a special “chaperone” protein (which helps protect other proteins from damage during stress).

Although further studies would be required before these results could be generalized to humans, Amdam concludes, “Maybe social interventions – changing how you deal with your surroundings – is something we can do today to help our brains stay younger. [...] Since the proteins being researched in people are the same proteins bees have, these proteins may be able to spontaneously respond to specific social experiences.”

Source: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/secret ... z21EP1f7Kr
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Re: Secret to Youth: Elderly Bees?

Postby sirineou » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:21 pm

Ohh Buzz off.
How the hell will I be able to squeeze in to a bee hive and take care of larva, even if i wanted to do it,
to improve my brain function?
and wouldn't all the bee stings kill me?
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby MGV12 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:12 pm

sirineou wrote:Ohh Buzz off.
How the hell will I be able to squeeze in to a bee hive and take care of larva, even if i wanted to do it,

I have little doubt that they would single you out ... apparently bees are very good at recognising paranoia :)

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby sirineou » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:55 pm

MGV12 wrote:
sirineou wrote:Ohh Buzz off.

I have little doubt that they would single you out ... apparently bees are very good at recognising paranoia :)

Not paranoid, just cautious .. Just the other day I was in a building waiting for the elevator, and there by the elevator door was a sign with a map and an x on it, that said "You are here"
If I am not constantly watched by the Evil alien warlord Xenu, who has taken over our government, Then how did they know where I was.!! :evil:
Huuaaa answer that.
sirineou

Postby MGV12 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:34 pm

sirineou wrote:If I am not constantly watched by the Evil alien warlord Xenu, who has taken over our government, Then how did they know where I was.!! :evil:
Huuaaa answer that.

Oh him .... the dictator of the "Galactic Confederacy" .... bit of a twerp isn't he?

MGV12

Postby sirineou » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:08 pm

MGV12 wrote:
sirineou wrote:If I am not constantly watched by the Evil alien warlord Xenu, who has taken over our government, Then how did they know where I was.!! :evil:
Huuaaa answer that.

Oh him .... the dictator of the "Galactic Confederacy" .... bit of a twerp isn't he?

He might be a twerp but he is a snappy Dresser.
I just wish he would not have me followed everywhere I go, and would stop trying to read my thoughts
oh the voices, ohhhh the voices. Stop trying to tell me what to do.!!!
Daisy Daisy ......
sirineou

Return to Life in Thailand