Read this...! (ionization & oxidation)

Any thing to do with swimming pools, fish ponds, or other man made structures which hold water (but not wells for drinking water).

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: Read this...! (ionization & oxidation)

Postby grant » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:57 am

I've been using an ionization/oxidation system by eClear for the past 2 years. I used a saltwater chlorinator in a previous house I owned for 7 years. From my experience, I would never use any type of chlorination system again. The eClear system has worked well for me and there is nothing like swimming in a pool with no salt or chlorine.
grant

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:38 am

Grant,
Can it be purchased in Thailand, the cost and running cost?
After reading this thread......http://www.troublefreepool.com/e-clear- ... 16628.html I'll stick with the salt water chlorinator I think.
Roger Ramjet

Postby grant » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:20 am

An update on the system I've been using. The eClear system I purchased was simply not strong enough to keep the required copper levels in my pool. It was replaced with a system from Purapool in Samui that worked fine until the dry season when the salinity in my pool increased due to the lack of rainfall and salt content in my well water. Low and behold I was informed the Purapool system was not designed for salinity and so my warranty was considered void by the supplier even though they never supplied any information or instruction manuals on what the unit's operating limits were when they installed it. They offered to upgrade it for a hefty fee to their "new" system that is both untested and unproven. I've now sourced another system now available in Thailand that has a long track record of success in other countries http://www.enviroswimasia.com/Enviroswim/Home.html
grant

Postby Maseratimartin » Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:18 pm

Can you keep us updated?
Please PM me the contact in Thailand and if you know more about costs....

Thanks
Martin
Maseratimartin

Postby brianks » Fri May 25, 2012 8:08 pm

I had the PuraPool system installed on my pool in January. Was never told that water TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) was an issue with the system. Also no instructions on the use of the system. First load of water had to be drained because TDS was too high. Then had pool company do ALL the arranging and work thereafter so I could hold someone accountable. Worked great for a while then algae began to grow. Control boxes were thought to not be working properly so it was replaced more times than I can remember and 1/2 of water drained and replaced several times. Still did not work properly. Installers from Pukett came by and told me that I had to monitor everything constantly to insure the system was working properly along with giving me conflicting information (over what I had been told by the system installer) on the various chemical levels required. Of course my cheap TDS meter was just not up to their fancy unit that cost 20 times more even though I had calibrated mine with a calibration solution). Also TDS level was too high (but my installer said it would work anyway) and pool now needed to be completely cleaned as the grout had become stained badly. Drained and had grout dug out and replaced and pool refilled again three weeks ago and everything was suppose to be in proper working order. Went away for a week and algae was on bottom of pool when we returned. I finally requested the system be removed and replaced with a salt system (which I had previously had for a year and a half and it worked). One week on now at the end of May my pool is clean and algae free.

My pool is one of 4 in our complex to have the PuraPool system installed. Three have now gone to salt systems and the 4th is green and waiting for a promised (they have given pool company until end of month to deliver) upgraded system that is suppose to work.

Anyone else had any experience with the PuraPool system?
brianks

Re: ZODIAC salt water chlorinators - info correction.

Postby jazzman » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:51 am

Maseratimartin wrote:
-> Short: The Zodiac TRi-Pro (with automatic ph control) system + an additional Nature 2 cartridge should be the high end solution!

The Zodiac Tri-Ph with automatic acid control is an excellent piece of equipment, and is backed up by superb after-sales service. In my opinion, the best on the market. There a re much cheaper salt water chlorinators available, but made in Chine, getting them serviced or obtaining replacement parts may prove to be extremely difficult.

Zodiac chlorinators with built-in pH control are available from fully accredited retail dealers from:
For pools up to 70 m3: from around ฿65,000.00
For pools up to 70 m3: from around ฿72,000.00
For pools up to 200 m3: from around ฿79,000.00
- Other retail outlets may offer lower prices but may not be able to provide an adequate guarantee and/or after-sales service.
- Other retail outlets may be offering this equipment for sale at excessively high prices.
For larger pools, a combination of standard units and a pH model is required; however, a fully commercial 'large-pool' system with separate digital controller and acid pump may be an appreciable economy - such as those manufactured by Hayward or Hanna. Units are available in Thailand, and again, generally only from accredited dealers and probably not from run-of-the-mill pool shops, and they really need to be installed by a professional who has the necessary expensive testing equipment.

AFAIK, Zodiac is the only company to manufacture a saltwater chlorinator with pH control as a built-in feature. Other Zodiac TRi series chlorinators can be up-graded with the addition of the internal pH module which includes a peristaltic pump, a sensor and a feed line with one-way valve for the acid tank to plumb into the pipework.

The Zodicac TRi-Pro, on the other hand, also has an additional sensor that detects the active chlorine level in your pool water. which allows the electrolytic cell to operate only when needed, based o the actual chlorine level, thus avoiding over chlorination and extending product life. Most saltwater chlorinators only produce chlorine after a period of trial-and-error setting-up to find and set the required automatic operation of the electrolysis cell.
AKAIK, the Zodiac TRi pH PRO is not yet available for the Thai market.

Also now available in Thailand are handy digital pH testers and other water testers. From only around ฿2,500.00 each, they are more expensive than the traditional 'blue box' test kits, but they are extremely accurate and will quickly outweigh the cost of constantly replacing the test kits (or buying refill dropper bottles) which are all the same but are being offered by pool retail outlets at any price between ฿ 250 and ฿ 650!
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby pattayapope » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:41 am

jazzman wrote:Also now available in Thailand are handy digital pH testers and other water testers. From only around ฿2,500.00 each

I would be interested to know more about and where to buy one of these here in Thailand, if anyone knows where or how to get PM me the details.

Regards

PP
pattayapope

Postby jazzman » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:27 pm

We are not allowed to make recommendations either in posts or by personal messages. I am surprised that Pattayapope, as a privileged moderator, would be making such a suggestion. However there is a thing called Google, and another one called Yahoo; a few well chosen keywords, plus 'Thailand' should turn up several suppliers. At least, I found it works quite well.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
jazzman

Postby dozer » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:40 pm

We are not allowed to make recommendations either in posts or by personal messages

Here is the actual FAQ section:
Can I post a referral to a company when I will get some kind of gain if people follow the referral?
No. You can talk to me about becoming a sponsor of the site and paid advertising, which is clearly identified. You can not sneak in referrals to a business you have some financial interest in, or will get some gain from. This is a bannable offense if uncovered. I don't want this turning into a self serving spam board

The idea is that you are free to recommend products, sites or services as long as you stay clear of self promoting commercial enterprises on the web site, which is a fairly common policy across several forums; intended to prevent the forums from turning into spam boards.
dozer
Site Admin

Postby Mike Judd » Sat May 31, 2014 11:32 am

This is one for Jazzman I guess, I have been reading about a product called Bioniser which is some sort of alternative to chlorine or salt water pools. All sounds good and if you believed all their claims ,no one would use anything else.The cell itself has to be changed completely every 2 or 3 years, so what's the verdict.?
Mike Judd

Postby jazzman » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:12 am

I was once in contact with the manufacturer with a view to distributing these. The reason was because a farang owner of a resort in Nakhon Si Thammarat province has one in their pool. Farang communities being fairly close-knit, the word got around, and the system certainly does work, and I received several enquiries from that region. In order to obtain trade discount, the manufacturer insists on a minimum order quantity. However, already expensive in comparison with other sanitation systems, such as for example salt water chlorination, our company declined to take stock of a product quantity that may stay on the shelves a long time - as everyone knows, money tied up in warehouse stock does not earn interest. That said, anyone can order one direct from the manufacturer at his local retail price, plus of course shipping and the horrendous import duty we have to pay on pool products in Thailand. Buy one there and bring it back on the plane? Well, that is a solution that some people resort too, but they have to forgo on any local product and customer support here.

My opinion was therefore that the cost outweighs the benefits, especially taking into account the fairly regular replacement of the self-sacrificial annodes.

Anyone really needing to avoid chlorine or bromine based sanitation and has a budget to spare, may like to buy one through some route or another.
jazzman

Postby Mike Judd » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:34 pm

Thanks for that Jazzman. ! you have probably already seen the videos on the Bioniser on the Web and it did have all the comparisons cost wise with other systems, but as you said having one lost your local support. I do have the time so I will investigate the product further.
Mike Judd

Postby Mike Judd » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:27 am

Another one for Jazzman ! Sorry if I'am a pain. But with all the time in the world I'am looking at everything to do with pools before jumping in the deep end. The latest info from a local Pool shop here in Oz was to have the concrete shell lined with Fibreglass instead of tiles. Nice smooth finish in any colour ,no grout to fall out , sealing any future leaks etc; etc;. So I looked it up on the web and found it was a common method available to fix old pools with problems ,apart from lining new pools. Next step was to get a quote clearly saying it was for a pool in Thailand and saying it would be a D.I.Y. but they must have got it wrong because back came a quote the next day saying they would be glad to line my pool , for $10,000 ?( About equal to the total cost of a small pool there D.I.Y. ) The question therefore is ,are there any pools in Thailand being finished that way, or are the materials alone more expensive than tiles.?
Mike Judd

Postby jazzman » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:41 am

I've seen fibreglass used to line small new ponds but never heard of it being used to coat a new pool. Fibreglass pools are sold ready-made in various shapes and sizes or made to order in the factory,
There are other ways of finishing concrete pools, all basically similar to Beadcrete, which are either shot or trowelled on, and which IMHO are more expensive than they are worth; far more expensive than most tiles.

I always consider tiles to be the best way to finish a pool and laying them is not rocket science and does not need special equipment. However, finding a good tiler for any job, be it a pool or a house, outside the very big cities with large farang populations is not easy and pool tiles need to be laid a special way, with special adhesive and special grout, none of which most Thai tilers have ever heard of - not to mention plenty of wannabe pool firms (it't difficult enough even for Western managed pool companies who train their own staff - the moment you turn your back they are back doing it the Thai way. Having a Western supervisor sitting in a deck chair watching the workers all the time is not viable - except for the largest and/or most luxurious projects it would price a standard domestic pool out of the market.
jazzman

Previous

Return to swimming pool