Best Air Conditioner brand for reliability

Air conditioning, fans, and anything related to keeping it cool, such as insulation. This would include any posts generally discussing how to keep it cool, such as which types of blocks are better insulators.... ideal wall thickness for keeping an A/C house cool, etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Best Air Conditioner brand for reliability

Postby thailazer » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:26 pm

I was all set to get a 9000 BTU Samsung AC until I talked to a buddy that has had to have his worked on often. His AC technician claims that the newer Samsung units break down the most. Well, that is one data point so I thought it time to regroup and ask this forum. Mitsubishi units are second on my list and the technician claims they are pretty good.

I am not interested in the added complexity of inverter units and am looking for the most reliable 9000 BTU solution we can find. We have no direct sun on our bedroom and just looking for a bit of cool in the mid afternoon. All inputs appreciated.
thailazer

Re: Best Air Conditioner brand for reliability

Postby MGV12 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:50 pm

We only have one AC unit and that's a Samsung; which to be honest we only bought as it was on sale.

I will happily buy their TV's again but on this experience never again an AC unit, and certainly wouldn't recommend them to others.

When it was installed two years ago it was okay but not overly impressive nor quiet. As time has gone by it has got noisier and noisier and less efficient. Possibly the efficiency would be boosted by a service but that's unlikely to affect the noise level as it's been progressive so probably wear and tear. Considering it only gets used maybe 20 to max 30 times a year, and then only for an hour at a time to lower the bedroom temp on the hottest of days, that's poor.

Low usage doesn't justify the cost of the real premium brands but from the experiences of others I will likely replace this unit with Panasonic.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Rick B » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:42 pm

I've bought several Mitsubishi units, mostly the "Mr. Slim" model, and have nothing but praise for them. I have one unit in our apartment where we rent rooms to students that has a Samsung (bought because it was significantly on sale) and have had a few problems with it. I don't think I'd buy another Samsung.
Rick B

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:02 pm

I've been through a whole range of air conditioners from Amena (made in Thailand) to LG to Mitsubishi. The Mitsubishi "Mr Slim" is by far the best, whisper quiet, great after sales service for the first 12 months as well as silent start. Both Amena's were nothing but trouble and their computer boards and wiring harnesses have been replaced umpteen times. The LG was noisy when it started at the compressor and noisy running. I'll stick with the Mitsubishi's.
Roger Ramjet

Postby jazzman » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:29 am

I have a Samsung 9,000 BTU in the room I spend most of my time in. It works perfectly and both inside and outside units are very quiet. I would buy Samsung again without any hesitation. I also have several Samsung TVs, and a Samsung laser colour photocopier, and (touch wood) no problems with them.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby thailazer » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:43 pm

Thank You all for the inputs. I love Samsung electronic products but I think I am going with the advice of the technician to get a Mitsubishi AC. We bought a large Samsung refrigerator last month and it doesn't seem to work as well as an equivalent Sharp unit we had in a rental house. Macro has the Mitsubishi Slim units on sale with free installation so looks like a trip to the big house tomorrow as the weather is not getting any cooler!
thailazer

Postby otis-a » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:18 am

have 2 samsungs
ditto jazzy recc
no problems
wall fan makes more noise than ac
wall fans assist circ to get better perform as room is 4m x8m
where to park dog when in town? A barking lot... :-)))
otis-a

Postby unclezillion » Thu May 03, 2012 7:15 pm

As a professional in this trade i will give you the only two makes i would consider.
1. Daikin
2. Trane
unclezillion

Postby thailazer » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:09 am

We met another technician at a funeral last week and he spoke fluent English as he had done HVAC work in the middle east for a decade. I asked him for his recommendations and he recommended Hitachi or Mitsubishi. (He has Hitachi units in his house.) I asked him about inverter units and he said that they are fine but that the controllers are difficult to diagnose and replace when they go bad. We ended up buying a Hitachi 12,000 BTU unit as it was about 3000 baht less than an equivalent Mitsubishi. Thing works great and is very quiet. Have to say though that we stayed at a guest house with a new Mitsubishi last week and it was even quieter than the Hitachi. The control on the Hitachi is much easier to use than the Mitsubishi though.
thailazer

Postby jazzman » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:45 am

thailazer wrote:We met another technician...

You would probably need to do a market survey over several thousand consumers/installers to obtain a truly representative amount of feedback. There's probably nothing much wrong with the products of any of the internationally well known brands, but one does need to be especially careful with lesser known brands of vague provenance and which may not be supported by their own genuine service facilities in Thailand.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby geordie » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:51 pm

I went with two misubishi,s the choice was simple he had them ready for installation imediately had them two months conplicated a bit on the remotes no instructions given at all which is a bit of a pain but cannot fault them so far quiet enout to sleep so the fans are ok hear a slight hum through the wall when the compressor kicks in but can hear next doors daiken better bloody noisy if the window is open it hast to be closed or no sleep
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:40 pm

Mitsubishi must be doing something right, the three I have ordered are so quiet they record 0 DB with the fan on low. In a few months I'll let you know what my electricity bill is.
Roger Ramjet

Postby peter_l » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:50 pm

I just moved to Bangkok and want to but an air conditioner for my new condo. Back in England I just to buy Trane for our office. Here in Thailand Mitsubishi and Daikin seem to be quite popular. I compared the brands on http://www.aircheck24.com and from the features I think Mitsubishi is the best. Unfortunately electricity is quite expensive here so in the end higher energy efficiency is more important I think. Does anyone know which brand in Thailand is the best for high energy efficiency???
peter_l

Postby oil » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:01 pm

all questions answered by google already
oil

Postby Makmak456 » Thu May 01, 2014 9:56 pm

well post it here for us non-google types :)
Makmak456

Next

Return to cooling systems