AIN'T LIFE GRAND?

Observations, thoughts and your stories about living in Thailand, share them here. 'My life in Thailand' or 'Observations on Living in Thailand'.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Mad Fish Disease

Postby MGV12 » Mon May 07, 2012 10:39 am

Mad fish.jpg

The latest case of mad cow disease in California is bringing to light some unsavory feeding practices that the meat industry doesn’t want us to find out about. Most cows don’t just eat grass anymore; they’re fed slaughterhouse waste, blood, and manure, providing a route for mad cow disease to spread.

In Mad Cow California: Stop Weaning Calves on Cattle Blood I explored one such practice, in which dairy calves are weaned on milk “replacer” made with cow blood as a cheap source of protein (after all, their mother’s milk is reserved for grocery store shelves). We know blood can be infectious with mad cow disease—that’s why if you lived in Europe over the last few decades you may be banned from donating blood here in the U.S. for fear you may be incubating the human form of mad cow disease. Yet we continue the cannibalistic feeding practice of allowing dairy calves to suckle on cow blood products.

In Stop Feeding Cows Chicken Manure I related the meat industry’s fear that people will find out they’ve been cutting corners by feeding American cows tons of chicken feces every year. Just like school lunch officials willing to feed pink-slime-burgers to shave off 3 cents per pound, the livestock industry is willing to feed their wards crap, even when the public is placed at risk.

While cow blood can still be fed to cows, cow brains cannot be. So what happens to your average bovine brain? It gets fed to pigs, pets, poultry, and fish. What are the public health implications of feeding cow brains to fish?

Read more: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/mad-fi ... z1u9R6VUtv

Footnote: No dodgy animal parts ever knowingly fed to my Koi, dogs or cat .... but who knows these days? AIN'T LIFE GRAND?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Re: AIN'T LIFE GRAND?

Postby MGV12 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:08 pm

Uncanny that this clip should arrive in my mailbox just as I was thinking about another attempt at base jumping!

And this one ....

Or even this one ...

Okay ... I'll stop now :)

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:05 pm

MGV12,
Amazing camera work in many. who says cameras don't lie?..pity about the phony ones thrown in for good measure. A little like the .50 Calibre rifle round returning.
Let me know when you do the base jump, I'll join you.
Roger Ramjet

Postby payebacs » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:28 am

This year, Kanchanaburi, 28 Nov, Loi Kratong coincides with The River Kwai Festival. Excellent!
Saving for my next holiday. And for my build.
payebacs

Postby pipoz » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:38 pm

Hi and "aint life grand'.

I am sitting here surfing the internet and getting paid for it, but thought I would share a picture of the locals driving down the road in their new vehicles.

A brand new crusier, or it was several minutes beforehand, when he rolled it at the round about. But yes, he will keep driving it for most of today or even longer
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pipoz

Previous

Return to Life in Thailand