Land of the smile..... my ass.

Observations, thoughts and your stories about living in Thailand, share them here. 'My life in Thailand' or 'Observations on Living in Thailand'.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: Land of the smile..... my ass.

Postby fredlk » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:15 pm

BKKBILL wrote: :roll: :roll: Thank goodness the innocent Thai women will finally be protected. :roll: :roll:

Law prohibiting marriage to foreigners over the age of 50 proposed to Thai Cabinet

April Fool !!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
fredlk

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:18 pm

BKKBILL wrote::roll: :roll: Thank goodness the innocent Thai women will finally be protected. :roll: :roll:

Law prohibiting marriage to foreigners over the age of 50 proposed to Thai Cabinet

Oh no, there goes the major supply of foreign money into Thailand.... Isaan province will be devastated....
Please check out our YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/KiddieToysReview
"Toys & Fun with Ely & Ela"
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby Mike Judd » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:29 am

Well that was an interesting read ! I do hope Maarten is happy now in S.A. But as said ,the perfect place would be rather crowded. It really is about your expectations , plus things change in your life, especially as you get older. At the age I am now coming on 82yrs, I think I have seen the life style of most countries on my dozens of trips around the world. But it was my early life of working from the age of 13yrs in England ,broken by National Service in the Army (East Africa 1 yr) then 2 yrs in Oz that at the age of 30 yrs with a wife and 4 kids I decided that Oz was the only place for me with limited skills or qualifications ,to get anywhere and out of the constant grind that was my lot in England. Oz in 1960 was the greatest country in the world ,you could work in 3 jobs at once if needed, and plenty did. The great thing was, you kept the money you earnt. Now in 2012 Oz is still the greatest country in the world, but the Politicians and Bureaucrats are doing their level best to ruin it. Max ! if you thought Oz had changed when you went back for a visit, you should see it now. Talk about a Nanny State ! every day there are new restrictions / Laws and regulations that take away one's freedom, and it cost you more to just survive in that restrictive environment. You couldn't believe there could be any more to come, but the last little Gem on Building sites is , you MUST wear long sleeve shirts and trousers ,incase you sue your Employer for sun burn.? Never mind the 100's of other things that were allowed 30 odd yrs ago, that are now against the law. No Max give me the freedom of Thailand with all it's faults, if you must, send your kids over to Oz for their education when the time comes, but be prepared for a drop in their discipline when you see them. I don't think the schools in Thailand would put up with their Teachers being told to F--- off by their Pupils with out some harsh punishment. The greatest punishment in Oz is 2 or 3 weeks suspension from GOING to school, can you believe that ? I didn't make that up, I had an unruly Grand-daughter who received that.
Maybe I'am just too old for all this modern day Nanny State living?
Mike Judd

Postby Nawty » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:36 am

Have not been back to Oz for 8 years.....sure it has changed.....driving will be an issue for sure.
conwood is not real wood.....break it down 'con' to deceive...'wood'
Nawty

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:54 pm

Mike Judd wrote: Max ! if you thought Oz had changed when you went back for a visit, you should see it now.

Ye I know Oz is getting really expensive and controlled to live in - but for education it cannot be beat. I like the freedom of thought and expression we are taught there, and the freedom to make up you own mind about religion, state and other affairs. The educational system there teaches creativity, expanding your mind, and owning up to your mistakes. Not so here. Thailand does not strike me as an "education destination" at all - just see how many Thais try to send their kids to Oz, UK, US for education, compared to how many from there come here - hardly any. Thai is a great beach and fun destination, especially for the single or recently so, but to educate the kids and give them a good future and prospects of a good career, I have to suck up the nanny state and go back to live there when its time for school. The cost of living is more expensive, but some of my mates are pulling $120-180k a year in IT, so expecting something similar, the bills are relatively cheap.
Please check out our YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/KiddieToysReview
"Toys & Fun with Ely & Ela"
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby Mike Judd » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:31 am

Max ! you may be right about education in Thailand and there thousands of Asians over here studying. They mostly seem to do well and out perform the Aussie kids by all reports. Once again it's the discipline thing I believe, which starts in the home . So keep a tight rein on them, although kids are allowed to divorce their parents here now I understand. ? As an" Oldie " I just thing Australia has gone down the wrong road in lots of ways, but then that was always what our parents said at times. ! By the way, I don't know how old you are , but once you are over 50yrs old here, there seems to be a reluctance to employ you, especially in the I.T. industry or ministration type jobs, you would think they would go for experience, but they seem to only want the young ones apparently, but" Good luck" you seem to have done everything else pretty right so far. Mike.
Mike Judd

Postby Makmak456 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:20 pm

Reminds me of the twits who visit Pattaya, and then complain about the lack of sidewalks, or just the maintince of them. The winging and moaning in the bars of the cheap charlis expats used to really wind me up.
I usually last about 1 minute of it then tell them in the falang way......Shut the f*ck up and go away !!!!! If YOU don't like it here LEAVE.

Is Thailand perfect, h*ll no, that said I am also a 1/2 glass full person. Heck there aren't even paved roads where I have chosen to live and build a house.

Not my problem, and I refuse to let your problems bother me.
Makmak456

Postby Mike Judd » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:16 pm

After just reading through this Post I just had to belatedly add my 2 cents worth. The last month here in Oz has ended up driving me mad with frustration, I can't wait to get back to the freedom of life in L.O.S. Talk about a Nanny State (N.S,W.) The traffic laws for one are enough to drive one over the edge. I drive my Ford Ute which is registered in my company name for obvious tax reasons. Because I am in the process of winding up my Scaffolding Co, I just do a few small deliveries to an old customer every week , This entails driving quite a few hours around the suburbs on those days, but it doesn't seem to matter how careful I am, with my Navman on most times to warn me of changing traffic conditions, I have ended up with 4 traffic infringements , 1 for parking on the wrong side of the road in a local dead end road while I loaded some scaffold onto my Ute,O.K. $185 pay up. Then 5min into the time for School zone ,doing 50 instead of 40, once again pay up! Next,this is where I start to get cranky, taking a mate back to his legally angle parked Ute to drop him off with a load of tools, I was about to turn into the vacant spot next to his Ute ,when a motor cycle cop who was stopped behind my mate's Ute ,waved me on, I just thought "what ever" and let my mate get out and take his tools , then drove on. But ! it was a no stopping zone in that part of the road,,so another $185 fine 's in the post. (I'am going to court on that one) Then today I got the latest one, turning left on a red arrow (Camera) I remember that one ,standing there waiting ,no-one crossing, so I go,Silly me.? But the point is they will not even let me pay the fine because it's a company Ute and loss of points are involved, so I have to fill in a declaration ,get it signed by a J.P. as to who the driver was (Me) or pay the fine on the notice. $1985 This is the latest bureaucratic idea to establish who is going to lose points. Mind you it still doesn't stop one from getting a friend to put his name down if you are getting near the 12 points max to losing your licence. And some people don't like driving or living in Thailand. ? Enjoy it while it lasts is all I can say.
Mike Judd

Postby jazzman » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:30 pm

You wanna try living in Germany!
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby sirineou » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:53 pm

or try living in the US and work in Manhattan. :(
For me being out of LOS is doing time, I do it because I have to.
When I hear people complain about this and that about Thailand it get's my goat.
I would give my right arm to be able to live in Thailand full time.
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby BKKBILL » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:43 pm

Thank you Gentlemen again you have made my day. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby sirineou » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:30 pm

I have being thinking about this.
I like to Think of Thailand as a tool. Like any other tool, if you don't know how to use it you will get poor results.
I mean I love it in Thailand, when ever I am there I am Happy, relaxed and content,
are there problems? sure, show me a place where there are no problems,
and should we not get frustrated by this problems? of course we will, after all we are only human.
but to take these problems out of context, and let them negatively affect your whole Thai experience is to say the least, unfortunate.
Many of the problems are unintended consequences of situations that for the most part have positive aspects to it, by focusing on the negative unintended consequences you lose touch of the broader, positive, Thai picture.
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby BKKBILL » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:15 pm

Have to agree sirineou, we have at least one who shared his building story who took it all negatively that ended up being a put down of all things Thai.

Now that is a shame.

Was outside just before sunset with it reflecting of one of my ponds thinking how fortunate to be here in the land of smiles warts and all.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby Mike Judd » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:09 am

Well it is Heart warming to hear that other's feel the same way about one's freedom, that unfortunately is being slowly eroded in most western nations. Thailand has it's own problems of course but I just hope they don't go down the same road as the so called west as they try to solve them. I have visited the U.S. many times but haven't lived there, but have listened to the likes of Ron Paul and Jessy Ventura go on about how the peoples Bill of Rights is being eroded from under them by both parties. They seem to make a lot of sense to me but the Big Corporations will see to it that they are ignored. I could be wrong as only former citizens would really know.
Mike Judd

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:02 am

I totally agree with everyone, let's have another coup, its been so/too long since the last one and all those 3,768 generals need something to do with their time other than that pesky little foray down south. Thailand needs a strong military, after all, it may be invaded any minute and those Cambodians have nothing better to do and neither does the Malaysians. I say invade, invade, invade and let's not worry about elections and what the majority of Thai people want.
I believe that was Max's point.
Roger Ramjet

PreviousNext

Return to Life in Thailand