AIN'T LIFE GRAND?

Observations, thoughts and your stories about living in Thailand, share them here. 'My life in Thailand' or 'Observations on Living in Thailand'.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: AIN'T LIFE GRAND?

Postby elgato » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:18 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:I thought I might just throw in the useful bit of information for all you beer drinkers who like the odd drop: If you want to circumvent the stupid hours you can buy beer at, just go and buy in bulk...over 9 litres and you can buy it at anytime of day. I used to buy a few bottles of wine at a time and if it didn't hit the 9 litre mark I'd just throw in a tin cask or two of beer....I think they hold up to 5 litres. I'll certainly be buying a few of them for the house christening.....I wonder what the monks will think?

Good info Roger but it doesn't apply to after hours beer runs, or should have I said "outside" of hours?
I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.
elgato

Postby elgato » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:33 pm

Saw this on the return trip from up north - for those with the wanderlust.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
elgato

Postby Ians » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:58 pm

elgato wrote:Saw this on the return trip from up north - for those with the wanderlust.

Phitsanulok ? Indo-China intersection.
Ians

Postby elgato » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:54 pm

Ians wrote:Phitsanulok ? Indo-China intersection.

Right you are! Don't know how many times I've sat there whiling away the hours waiting for a green light and never noticed the sign.
elgato

Postby Ians » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:34 pm

elgato wrote:

Right you are! Don't know how many times I've sat there whiling away the hours waiting for a green light and never noticed the sign.

Let me know next time you are passing thru - maybe a beer or something might be in order.
Ians

Postby elgato » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:44 pm

Ians wrote:
elgato wrote:

Let me know next time you are passing thru - maybe a beer or something might be in order.

Will do! :D
elgato

Postby elgato » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:41 pm

Was at the farm relaxing when my night watchman showed up.

Nightwatchman.JPG

For the elder's eyes (no names :lol: ), that's a bottle of lao khao in his hand.

Now, Ain't Life Grand? :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
elgato

Postby geordie » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:49 am

Isnt that the stuff that makes you go blind drinking it ???

hope he did not have more stashed ??
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby elgato » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:36 pm

geordie wrote:Isnt that the stuff that makes you go blind drinking it ???

I watched a program on tv about five years ago that showed how "commercial" lao khao is made using a large rectangular concrete vat. After the "whiskey" is distilled they poured in 5-gallon buckets of stuff with a LARGE RED skull and crossbones on it! The wife told me it was rat poison :shock: It's supposed to give it an extra kick. :roll:
elgato

Postby MGV12 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:54 pm

elgato wrote:
geordie wrote:Isnt that the stuff that makes you go blind drinking it ???

I watched a program on tv about five years ago that showed how "commercial" lao khao is made using a large rectangular concrete vat. After the "whiskey" is distilled they poured in 5-gallon buckets of stuff with a LARGE RED skull and crossbones on it! The wife told me it was rat poison :shock: It's supposed to give it an extra kick. :roll:

My father used to take Warfarin for his Angina [heart condition] maybe he could have drunk Lao Khao instead [different side effects!] but it's not readily available in the UK :mrgreen:

"Warfarin or Coumadin is one of the most popular anticoagulant prescribed by doctors for patients who may have embolism or thrombosis. Furthermore, this compound was also used as rat poison. The use of Warfarin as a rat poison has declined, however, due to the fact that rats have developed resistance to it."

Rats have developed a resistance but Thai workers apparently not :lol:

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby geordie » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:06 pm

The way the workers are performing over there i am swiftly becoming convinced they are in the same family rats and thai builders seem to have a lot in common
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby elgato » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:48 pm

I prefer beer to warfarin as a blood thinner :wink:
elgato

Postby payebacs » Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:23 am

Went up Do Sutep in November. Caught tuk tuk to the zoo then hung about for saewngthew. Bit embarrassing at times other falangs because the woman who got on first with 3 or 4 in her party kept an empty space beside her.. mai mai she said when others were told to move up. Too many.. no space! And she kept at it. Only 3..! she insisted. Of course in the end they shoved the obligatory 4th person in, plus two on the back standing for luck.! I started off looking eagerly out the window at flaura and fauna, halfway up had both eyes shut and was bracing myself not to get sick! The one chap standing on the back threw up into a bucket! Whether it was there for that reason I don't know! Haha! Aint Life Grand! :)
1.JPG

2.JPG
Saving for my next holiday. And for my build.
payebacs

Postby elgato » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:56 am

Found this while trying to organize the hundred's of pics my wife has taken of our barn build

welder.JPG

Ain't Life Grand :D
elgato

Postby elgato » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:33 pm

Crew was a no-show yesterday and the word quickly went around the village that I was not occupied. The wife asked if I could drive one of her aunts to Suphan Buri to the "doctor". Next thing I know I have a truckload of aunts and cousins along for the ride! :lol: The plus is there is a large HomePro there and I was able to get the proper electrical pieces for the barn.

Ain't Life Grand?
elgato

PreviousNext

Return to Life in Thailand