perlite

Air conditioning, fans, and anything related to keeping it cool, such as insulation. This would include any posts generally discussing how to keep it cool, such as which types of blocks are better insulators.... ideal wall thickness for keeping an A/C house cool, etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

perlite

Postby whatamut » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:38 am

has anyone any knowledge of perlite being available in korot?
whatamut

Re: perlite

Postby whatamut » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:15 pm

Because of perlite's outstanding insulating characteristics and light weight, it is widely used as a loose-fill insulation in masonry construction. In this application, free-flowing perlite loose-fill masonry insulation is poured into the cavities of concrete block where it completely fills all cores, crevices, mortar areas and ear holes. In addition to providing thermal insulation, perlite enhances fire ratings, reduces noise transmission and it is rot, vermin and termite resistant. Perlite is also ideal for insulating low temperature and cryogenic vessels. When perlite is used as an aggregate in concrete, a lightweight, fire resistant, insulating concrete is produced that is ideal for roof decks and other applications. Perlite can also be used as an aggregate in Portland cement and gypsum plasters for exterior applications and for the fire protection of beams and columns. Other construction applications include under-floor insulation, chimney linings, paint texturing, gypsum boards, ceiling tiles, and roof insulation boards.
whatamut

Postby geordie » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:27 am

Whatamutt i think you can use the rice husks in cavity walls to good effect or AAC blocks with millions of air bubbles for the actual walls i seem to remember some stuff called vermiculite ??? or very similar from some 30 years ago like shredded cork little granules free flowing not seen anything like for years though or fiberglass can also be used inside the cavity The AAC aerated concrete can be manufactured for use as lintel,s or beams although i am not sure of the span,s available
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby whatamut » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:59 am

rice husk in korot would be a plentiful commodity but what about critters both 4 and six legged answering the dinner bell.
whatamut

Postby MGV12 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:53 am

whatamut wrote:rice husk in korot would be a plentiful commodity but what about critters both 4 and six legged answering the dinner bell.

There are mixed opinions on the use of rice husk but one thing for sure if you go that route ... burnt rice husk otherwise you will have a multitude of problems. The charring process not only kills off the germs and live seeds, it also removes any nutritional value thereby the 'dinner bell' attraction. Which is not to say that if you leave any access it won't become a nice cosy home to who-knows-what! But then so would Perlite or Vermiculite or any similar particle filler that hasn't been treated with a repellant .... I've even seen bees nesting in Rock-wool and cellulose batts.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Return to cooling systems