Why cant I find insulation in LOS?

Air conditioning, fans, and anything related to keeping it cool, such as insulation. This would include any posts generally discussing how to keep it cool, such as which types of blocks are better insulators.... ideal wall thickness for keeping an A/C house cool, etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Why cant I find insulation in LOS?

Postby krisb » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:28 pm

Ive tried and cant find it anywhere. Its everyday ordinary insulation for roof spaces. I know I can get that silver stuff in rolls but its just not the same. A reputable hardware store in LOS told me its to hot in Thailand for insulation!! What the!! Im from Australia, its hotter here in 80% of this country than Thailand and we have insulation in all sorts of types thicknesses and prices. Its considered stock standard here in Aussie homes and buildings. So please help me understand the Thai logic of why no insulation is sold and why they consider it not necessary? :?
krisb

Re: Why cant I find insulation in LOS?

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:50 pm

krisb,
You can get insulation in Thailand. I think what you are referring to is what we used to call "pink bats" in Australia.
If you have a HopePro near you they will have a sample of the types they have (normally at least a roll of each type) and they'll get you a full order within a few days. It's fairly cheap too. If you want to go for the highest, I think it's called R factor, they'll have a catalogue you can choose from if they haven't got it in stock.
I'm going to line the gyprock ceiling with it and the cost for over 150 sq mts is less than 20,000, even for the most expensive.
Roger Ramjet

Postby krisb » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:01 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:krisb,
You can get insulation in Thailand. I think what you are referring to is what we used to call "pink bats" in Australia.
If you have a HopePro near you they will have a sample of the types they have (normally at least a roll of each type) and they'll get you a full order within a few days. It's fairly cheap too. If you want to go for the highest, I think it's called R factor, they'll have a catalogue you can choose from if they haven't got it in stock.
I'm going to line the gyprock ceiling with it and the cost for over 150 sq mts is less than 20,000, even for the most expensive.

Ah ok then. I must be looking in the wrong hardware stores. Im up in Chumphae and I have visited I think every building supplier/hardware and they havnt got any. Yes its the pink batt or yellow batts we have in Australia. Im a gyprocker by trade and we often install insulation as part of the job on commercial sites. The best quality is called tontine. Its the same stuff inside pillows and doonas. The old pink/yellow batts have now been banned on commercial sites following the footsteps of the USA and replaced with tontine. The price you have seems expensive by Thai prices I think? 20,000baht is approx $700aus and thats Aussie prices for the 150m you state. Least you have a properly insulated ceiling though! Gotta love that. :D ....just remember to leave a nice gap near any lights or other electical spots.
krisb

Postby krisb » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:27 pm

How do I say insulation in Thai?
krisb

Postby otis-a » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:09 am

thai word for insulation:
see below
was real stumpper for wify
nokia n97 thai english dictionary may help you.
Attachments
Scr000807.jpg
Scr000808.jpg
Scr000809.jpg
Scr000810.jpg
where to park dog when in town? A barking lot... :-)))
otis-a

Postby otis-a » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:16 am

ps
if you have a nokia n97mini it will text to speech
i had loads o laughs will gps directions when set tele to speech: telling driver how much smarter the phone was than dumb farang.
Perhaps try one of those xlator boxes seen in bigC or tesco, they likely have text to speech and cheap v. A smart phone.
otis-a

Postby krisb » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:20 am

Cool thanks mate! Im gonna have to ask Dozer to give me the pronounciation, his Thai seems good to me alot better than mine. Im a grasshopper at reading :lol: Im in Australia at the moment and the wifes in Thailand shes my site foreman :D :idea:
krisb

Postby otis-a » Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:46 am

kris,
is possible to download pic's + email or mms? Goodluck on build. =:o)-
otis-a

Postby Maseratimartin » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:15 am

"Stay Cool" is usually written on the isolation rolls you were talking about.
Maseratimartin

Postby whatamut » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:24 am

i just installed some in the overhead of the bed room as a matter of fact. RF 27 was the best home pro at THE MALL in korot had in stock, but i know they carry at least a 32, for about 350 baht a roll. covering

off the top my head aprox 12 foot x 3 inch each
whatamut

Postby whatamut » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:25 am

sorry thats 12 f00t x 30 inch
whatamut

Postby Richard » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:31 pm

I sometimes find that a picture downloaded (or stored on your phone) and shown to the staff at whatever store works far better than my attempts at Thai
Richard

Return to cooling systems