traditional teak wood house

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Re: traditional teak wood house

Postby lazylanna » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:19 pm

Roof was a huge condsideration, and the wood framing and batons meant higher price but was in keepng with the ethos of using only wood and no compromises. However new wood was used so that it would fit the tiles, although the extra cost it was worth it. It is straight and machined unlike old wood which can be more of a hassle to get a perfect fit.

The original idea was to have exposed ceilings with clay tiles or wood shingle, however the budget was so tight, at double the price of concrete tiles there was really no way we could afford it. We went through many permatations, including cpac. We finally rested on the concrete tile after seeing it on a resort and was convinced that out of all the pro`s and cons this was the best of the bunch.

With the house in full swing is was great to see the detail being applied to the house, not over the top but subtle simple shapes.

And so the order was placed and promptly delivered, and so.........

A side shot from the road parrallel about 30m away, in total the roof costs were alot less then thought, i think in total for tiles it came to 44,000. This covered the main house, and the sala, but nothing was ordered for the extension. That we still have to do.....

A look up internally through to the top. Below a look to the sala at the front covering the walkway up to the first floor.

Here below is the stair to the front of the house and the split level for seating, first the seating for guests, and then upstairs the seating for family lounging.

And so we are left with a front view of this......

lazylanna

Postby lazylanna » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:27 pm

geordie wrote:Its given me an idea :?: might flog the mum in laws old house its shiplap the board are horizontal rather than vertical but it is in good nick although about half a dozen floor joists are in trouble they were made with a different wood to the floors/walls roof which are all perfect when they moved the house and relocated it further back on the plot they cut the legs and replaced them with concrete to much noise transmission for me to want to live in it especially in the village

Hi Geordie

Strange isnt it, lucklily for us the people who had replaced the posts with concrete?... For some stange reason, had kept them, because they had gone into the ground the bottoms were a bit upset, but harder then rock. We bougt them all for 20,000 badt they have a lvely shape whilst still being mostly straight. Trying to find posts tall and thick is now a chore for a decent price. I hope you like the posts being erected in the extension they are very nice. Vertical boarding is just a different style more traditional than horizontal it is normally bound by a trim piece to make it look continuous. Hope the pics give you a change of heart to live in it.
lazylanna

Postby lazylanna » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:17 pm

The back of the house is going to be the same level raised by concrete pillars ona floating concrete floor, with no soil underneath. This will be a consideration later in the build and the builders are concentrating on the main house for now. You can see a little flooding around the pillars, this is in the heaviest if rain and soon drains below the land, it is about 1.9 - 2 m lower then the soil in the raised section and more to the floor level.

The back of the house first floor level is split on the left will be an inside terrace raised from the walkway, and to the far right the ensuite and walk in wardrobe for the 2nd bedroom.

Redwood floorboards going down in the sala, these are routed to ake them connect better without gaps and to keep them from splitting. These are very old boards and shouldnt move much if at all, unlike new wood.

More boards completed on the sala and internally into the house, the wood has been plained by hand and the end result look amazing.

The house is showing the wood floors complete and the concrete slab on the ground floor poured. So now we have the floors the wall can start to be erected.

A look at the ground floor through from back to the front, the floor space is 88m2. The original plan was to keep it open but we might close part of it up to make into a ground floor bedroom ensuite, as i think most of our living will be kitchen, lounge upstairs and bedroom.

Internal shots of the floor and the starting of the walls all teak wood, these will be double clad and have electrics, wired ethernet and plumbing contained within the gaps. No insulation, as this will not be needed we hope to use cross ventilation and not air con, plus netting for beds.

The first view of the front of the land from above, on the newly laid floor. The layout is more clear from this perspective, you can see the wider entance about 17m then the shortening to about 11m.

The look to the back with the great big tree, about 35m to the back fence, obscured by the tree.
lazylanna

Postby geordie » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:38 am

I love the look and feel of wood but as said previously it has its drawback the main being the high maintainance over there not too bad as its affordable to get someone in to do it but the lack of privacy aspect also i find a bit off puting we used to stay with her parents regularly and becoming celibate was not why i married :roll: Added to the vilage being a farming comunity so all night dogs chickens motorbikes it got me to thinking soundproofing was as important as insulation cross ventilating to avoid air con can be designed into any building so the use of aircon can be avoided all stuff i will be able to play with soon :) :) Just got to find the right land in the right place for the right price really :? hopefully will not take too long
in the meanwhile its interesting to see a traditional style being reincarnated and that timber has cleaned up extremely well
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby lazylanna » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:37 am

geordie wrote:I love the look and feel of wood but as said previously it has its drawback the main being the high maintainance over there not too bad as its affordable to get someone in to do it but the lack of privacy aspect also i find a bit off puting we used to stay with her parents regularly and becoming celibate was not why i married :roll: Added to the vilage being a farming comunity so all night dogs chickens motorbikes it got me to thinking soundproofing was as important as insulation cross ventilating to avoid air con can be designed into any building so the use of aircon can be avoided all stuff i will be able to play with soon :) :) Just got to find the right land in the right place for the right price really :? hopefully will not take too long
in the meanwhile its interesting to see a traditional style being reincarnated and that timber has cleaned up extremely well

Yes, I dont think there is any difference to maintenance than to concrete or brick, just differs in what you maintain. I dont need to repaint for example, and being teak and old there really isnt a need for much apart from its first sand and seal.
Every house has a compromise, concrete is not what i would choose for those specfics though. I might use a thick wall of adobe/cob has all the benefits you talk about. insulation sound proofing is built in, better yet rammed earth is an ideal facilitater of those aspects you takk about. Baan Din is gaining merits and there are finally people doing it properly.
I agree that wood houses are very creaky and transmit sound, but my solution dont live with anyone but the wife. Put the MIL in an outside exterior building then the wolf crying can commence all night.
Thanks for checking out the thread andci hope you like the rest to come.
lazylanna

Postby sunliner » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:01 am

hi lazylanna,
be rest assured, more money is spent taking care of a normal bricks/mortar build, then your wonderful build

as for the vibrations bit,

why not?
good vibrations :lol:

great thread, keep the good work up :D
sunliner

Postby lazylanna » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:08 pm

Hi sunliner

Youre right, vibrations can be a problem, but its the charm of the house and nothing is perfect. However there is nothing that could change my mind, once you are inside and see the detail and warmth, i get blown away. Good vibrations indeed, at least some of you are on my wavelength! Hope you like the rest of the thread. :D
lazylanna

Postby lazylanna » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:50 pm

Ok, so now have the posts, frame, roof, tiles and floor boards(almost), so lets get on with the building. Here we have a shot looking at the split level from walkway to inside terrace lounge outside the bedroom. This runs 8m x 2.25(3.50 with walkway). The wood is teak on the cladding outside, weatherboarded, hand plained and gunned to the frame.

Here you can see the outer wall of the 2nd bedroom being erected, this room is 6m x 4.5m, was originalky intended to be split into 2 but we really liked the space as it was so kept it. This like all the walls, will be double clad with teak, with the inside being connected like floorboards. This is all routed by the builder, and gives a nice finish(pics coming).

This gives the view to the back with the back wall of the main house still to built, and showing the frame and door space about to be created for the 2nd bathroom.

Looking to the front of the house yiu can see what is effectively the front door for upstairs, and the terrace it leads with stairwell. The walkway and raised levels and terrace, the end wall will house an led tv networking cables for connecting everything inwall and some hifi.

Nice picture of a large horse blocking the nice view of the windows in teak from old house and teak cladding. This is the bedroom wall from the terrace.

Close up of the weather boarding teak routed to have a nice finish on the overlap. Teak has this very bright golden colour when plained or beautiful grey when aged by water and sun, i like both so am not bothered to keeping it either way.

Gable end at the front of the house, the old teak from the house has been used to cover all the small details, and make up the over all detail across the house. You can see the salla roof extending to the lower seating place, and incorrectly placed flashing. This will be covered by mdf, albeit teak with a nice grain i think 4mm with no paper added. The roof spaces will have rattan mat, the stuff all the resorts use for the ceilings in case you wondered.

We now have steps leading up to the top floor, these were made from new wood mai daeng, old wood is quite har to find at the right thickness width and depth. It is neccessary when buikding a thai house to follow some simple rules for good luck, and why not? Steps must in total sum to an odd number, so the bottom steps wil have to be an even amount to get the good vibrations continuing in the house.

Here you can see the bottom seating sala for guests, it will have lighting, nice pot plants and a water vessel. The wood above is hsaped to block out the morning sun and add a nice simple design as well. You will see this theme continue up on the first floor also.

Detail all is important in a wood house, and this combinations shows the very intricate under eave detail by the sala, and the simple curves of the arm holding the roof, it puts a smile on my face. The ligt has been modded from a candle hanger to a elec light to keep this simple theme flowing.
lazylanna

Postby lazylanna » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:35 pm

When we started builing and had an architect do drawings, they werent quite enough to see the ins and out of everything, so downloading sketchup i tried my hand at replicating as accurately as possiblemthe house. Here is what followed

Placed on google maps this is eapxactly sited on the land and is roughly the same size and proportiins with all gradients.

The house as it is on split levels with every bit of wood as used as accurate as i can remember. The only thing not replicated are the tiles for obvious reasons.

The house from the back showing the extension, the precast concrete was not known at this point and so was not replicated, all joists posts are though. You cann see the kand levels and hiw the extensions juts out over without the need for soil filling.

Front of the house, steps detail. Roofing and terrace.

Looking over the land, with wall details and extension making some additions and getting a good idea of space.
lazylanna

Postby payebacs » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:46 pm

I'm a great fan of wooden furniture and try to pack in as much as possible so as to have rooms with interiors looking like the gulley of a wooden sailing ship which takes quite some doing so to have an interior made already in itself of all wood and I must say I am quite astonished by the nice look of the wood, I had thought it would look quite rough perhaps painted with layers of creosote, but at this stage anyway it looks most wonderful even to the touch. The details are spectacular in their simplicity, the lamp and sala seat. Does the total number of steps in your whole house need to be odd, or the total on any one visibly continous staircase.. and if the staircase has as in your case two tiers does the floorboard connecting the two tiers count as a step in itself albeit larger and with a sala seat on it or is that definitely not a step. And I wonder who is the actual authority on this matter or is it very common knowledge to all Thais?
payebacs

Postby geordie » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:02 am

payebacs wrote:painted with layers of creosote,

Being toxic creosote is not something you would want anywhere on your house it has actually caused death already which is why its so dificult to get hold of these days so unless you have a wish to fall asleep permanently forget this stuff you can for sheds and fences knock up a good presevative with old engine oil and thin it with diesel but again i would not want it on or too near the house it takes a while for to settle down smell wise but unlike creosote it does not emit odurs when it warms up
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby sunliner » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:21 am

lazylanna wrote:Hi sunliner
Hope you like the rest of the thread. :D

hi lazylanna

keep ,em pixs coming
your telling of the story is a treat( short and sweet and no drivel) :D :D

as for the wave length bit,been tinkering around teak houses for ages, actually had lunch yesterday in one approx 40 yrs old,the ambience was overwhelming, enuff of my drivel, :lol: bye for now
sunliner

Postby lazylanna » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:01 pm

Lets starts off with the front door.....

With the door open from sitting down you can see doi sutheop and wat doi suthep throug the doors. With the walls going up we started to get the electician and plumber in to install the neccessaries. We didnt want a white plastic switch to ruin the wood, so went with haco's t&j charcoal matt switch. Lights will be a combination of wood and brass lanterns fixed with electrical bulb fitting.

Another shot of the door, we have bought all our doors from the same wood door and window place in samkampaeng, on the way to mae on, great service and units for sale. This is a tall door and sets the front terrace off well.

Looking from the inside at the back to the front of the main house, we have used a consistent colour code for cables, we have also run cat5e and coax tv cable to keep everything neat. It is imoortant not to run ethernet and coax close to the av cables as interference and damage to live electric cable could be dangerous. We are going to be running a full home cinema, internet tv and hifi from the terrace albeit a second discrete system.

Doors in, to the left the door to the master bedroom, and the right out to the extension terrace. The inside panels will be replaced with glass, the terrace doors are rougly my head height [186cm], but this is a step down to a lower level for outside.

This is a close up of the wiring used and colours, this feeds the outside terrace and internal bedroom.

Looking at the double cladding, you can see the doors for both ensuite on the left and walk in wardrobe on the right. Both are about 2.25 x 2.75 but feel reasonable in size, as it will be for our son when he is older i think its fine.

The bathroom for the 2nd bedroom will have a shower with its own concrete tray and glass shower to fit the corner, we have a thermostatcic valve shower that will be fed by a water heater from AEG 6.5kw multipoint. Ultimtaley it didnt have its own elcb fuse etc and i will use my own rcbo breaker from the box. Copper pipe was chosen instead of the ppr green pipe, purely because it is what i know.

Door into the bathroom is also a tiddler, its smaller than me @ 175 cm, but is a step down to a step inside and isnt a problem. The reason is all thai people i know can fit underneath, they were a matching pair for the bedroom, we like the wood and we want that cootage look mixed in with thai wood house.

Double clad teak makes an expensive feature for a house but i wouldnt have anything else now i really feel at home. We all do and enjoy the warm feel and look of wood. Looking out of the bedroom to terrace.

More views from the bedroom.

The terrace now finished for electrics is started to be clad, the window on the right hand wall is a picture frame to doi suthep when all lit up, its a nice little accent of the house in its surroundings.

A delivery from the very hard to find decent wood posts for a good price fairy, mai daeng straight and very nice. We bought 20 in total but only need 11, the rest will be used for the rice barn terrace and another rice barn studio.
lazylanna

Postby payebacs » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:42 am

:arrow: You own a lot of wood lazy!!!
Saving for my next holiday. And for my build.
payebacs

Postby lazylanna » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:23 am

payebacs wrote::arrow: You own a lot of wood lazy!!!

You should see whats on the land at the moment, i look like a wood yard, we both like going to look for wood so we cant help but stockpile.

We have 2 further small projects after the house, a rice barn that is over 100 years old, for use a guesthouse. A rice barn for use as a studio for our business and my work, and to store the pump, tanks and pssibly solar heater. We have the wood, we just need a roof for the studio and we are in business.

There is a company who can build teak wood houses in and around northern thailand, there costs are about 25,000 badt m2. When we have finished we hope to be at about 10,000 m2 for floor space(310m2). This has been due to the huge effort of my wife, and we have better and more luxurious fittings and featurs that wouldnt be available at this cost. We have made mistakes and errors, but thankfully in the thousands of badt not the ten or hundreds of thousand. What we have found has helped is ordering exactly to the space, the size and length of wood. Inspecting every piece and getting all costs down by maximising the wood into the area its being fitted without much waste. Ie cutting down bigger boards to fit smaller bay space, happened a lot buying the rigt lengths has saved big time, for this you need to understand the house measurements very well.
If we had done this first of all and be more hands on, there is no doubt the price would have been different, but this was a first time for both me and my wife, we have learnt quickly and im happy with what it looks like we are getting.

Thanks for your interest, hope to see the tree house come to fruition.
lazylanna

PreviousNext

Return to Your Building Story