PVC Windows and Doors

Information about windows and doors.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Postby cruzing » Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:32 pm

whosyourdaddy wrote:Installed a uPVC double glazed, double pain window mainly to block out sound. Does an OK job. The window is a Thyssen brand and on paper is very good. My problem was with the company on sukumvit 101/1. The window was not installed properly, the bottom lock does not work properly and it the gap between the window and frame is too large. So due to Thai workers, they wrecked an expensive and good product. They have been back 2x to "fix" it but really dont do anything but realign it. Too bad as I would have outfitted the entire house with the product.

BTW costs were about B7500 sq meter.

Yes, I would say that installation is just as important as the quality of the window itself. That is one of the problems when buying anything of high value and good quality....... a poor installation job can ruin it and waste the money you've spent. The attitude here (at least in our area outside Pattaya) is that I didn't pay for it so it doesn't matter....opposite of what we are used to.

cruzing
cruzing

PVC doors and windows

Postby jazzman » Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:36 pm

post deleted: see new one below.
Jazzman
Last edited by jazzman on Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jazzman

PVC doors and windows

Postby jazzman » Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:36 pm

Here is a link to PVC doors and windows available in Thailand at HomeMart. http://www.windsor.co.th/. The doors and windows look very nice and the PVC has a metal core.
Windsor also make soffit (the stuff you cover the gap under your eaves with), fencing and rainwater guttering. It is all very expensive - at least it was well outside my budget. I settled for doors and windows with 1.5mm thick, white epoxy covered, extruded aluminium frames at half the cost with 5mm light green UV glass.(see my other posting about doors and windows)

Their guttering looks nice, but see my other posting about guttering. Their PVC fencing looks a bit kitchy, but I suppose it's all a matter of taste - for the same money (about 1,000 baht per metre including posts and fixtures) I would do something of my own design in metal and concrete/brickwork.

And here: http://www.wrvinyl.com is the ultimate information on uPVC doors and windows - and of particular interest for all of you who are based, or going to be based in Pattaya, Jomtien or anywhere else in Chonburi. I have seen the stuff in a friend's hous, and it is VERY nice. Sadly, I live 1,000 Kms away :cry:

Jazzman
jazzman

Postby jazzman » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:22 am

Peter Wunderer at http://www.wrinyl.com can now also do PVC installations up country (North, Northeast, etc).
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby prufrock » Tue May 08, 2007 12:06 pm

'GLOBAL House' at http://www.globalhouse.co.th/, a recently opened chain of DIY-style warehouses offers uPVC windows at excellent prices. I have compared costs in CMai on everything from spray paint to flooring and windows at all small and large distributors such as HomePro and HomeMart and Global is the most competitive in almost all fields. Even their solar water heaters are less than half a local Aussie distributor. Check out their home page to see if there is one handy you.
Also check out what other Chiangmai farangs are saying in this regard at:
http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php ... pic=118298
Cheers...
prufrock

Postby rosegate » Tue May 08, 2007 12:30 pm

prufrock wrote:'GLOBAL House' at http://www.globalhouse.co.th/, a recently opened chain of DIY-style warehouses offers uPVC windows at excellent prices. I have compared costs in CMai on everything from spray paint to flooring and windows at all small and large distributors such as HomePro and HomeMart and Global is the most competitive in almost all fields. Even their solar water heaters are less than half a local Aussie distributor. Check out their home page to see if there is one handy you.
Also check out what other Chiangmai farangs are saying in this regard at:
http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php ... pic=118298
Cheers...

Looked up the global Thai house web site above, but all appears to be in Thai?

We had Windsor windows do our UPVC windows in our house & there great, there offices are all over Thailand

A new firm doing UPVC windows & doors In Pattaya is:

http://www.europvcwindows.com

Run by a British guy great quality, but not sure of any prices
rosegate

Postby jazzman » Tue May 08, 2007 3:58 pm

The Chinese solar hot water collectors have recently undergone a comparison study with models made with German technology. Design and performance was found to extremely inferior. The German designed modelds are half the size, half the weight,more than doubly performant using a high-tech, Tinox coated copper fine-bore labyrinth, are guaranteed for 20 years with genuine in-your-home customer service by English speaking German or British technicians. They cost only a fraction more, which of course represents the enormous difference in quality.
Search this site in the appropriate forums for precise details.

Windsor PVC doors and windows are heavily overpriced compared with the excellent quality of Thyssen imports from Germany which are custom built to order from imported stock in Pattay, again by a highly reputable German company. Search this site in the appropriate forums for precise details.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
jazzman

Postby rosegate » Wed May 09, 2007 6:33 am

jazzman wrote:The Chinese solar hot water collectors have recently undergone a comparison study with models made with German technology. Design and performance was found to extremely inferior. The German designed modelds are half the size, half the weight,more than doubly performant using a high-tech, Tinox coated copper fine-bore labyrinth, are guaranteed for 20 years with genuine in-your-home customer service by English speaking German or British technicians. They cost only a fraction more, which of course represents the enormous difference in quality.

Windsor PVC doors and windows are heavily overpriced compared with the excellent quality of Thyssen imports from Germany which are custom built to order from imported stock in Pattay, again by a highly reputable German company. Search this site in the appropriate forums for precise details.

Jazzman as you can see on a post of page 1 of this forum, some guy was not totally happy with the way the german Thyssen company fiited there windows, Europvc windows & Windsor windows both make on site as I know both of there factories & showroom in Ptty, Windsor windows are about the cheapest around here thats for sure, although I don't know anything about the German company you mention?
Another nice alternative is to get alloy windows White powder coated, we have done this on a couple of jobs & it looks real nice, from a distance looks like upvc!!!!
rosegate

Postby jazzman » Wed May 09, 2007 7:56 pm

Here is a link to the uPVC vinyl doors and windows in Pattaya which several members of this board recommend.
http://www.wrvinyl.com

The picture on the front page of the site is that of the window of the king's private office in his home in Hua Hin, which was supplied by this small but extremely efficient German firm in Pattaya. You may not get through security to see the window for yourself, but if you send Attila a PM, I'm sure he would be happy to give a guided tour of his very large house in Jomtien which is equipped with a great number of these windows and many patio and balcony doors. They all fit and work perfectly.

For reasons of budget, I used high quality epoxy powder coated high density extruded aluminium frames for my windows and all the patio doors. These are of local manufacture, the quality of materials and installation is excellent, and they are guaranteed for 10 years. For more information see my previous posts on windows and doors and/or visit my pics here:
http://coolthaihouse.com/cthpics/thumbnails.php?album=6&page=3
jazzman

Postby Attila » Sat May 12, 2007 1:57 pm

rosegate wrote:
jazzman wrote:The Chinese solar hot water collectors have recently undergone a comparison study with models made with German technology. Design and performance was found to extremely inferior. The German designed modelds are half the size, half the weight,more than doubly performant using a high-tech, Tinox coated copper fine-bore labyrinth, are guaranteed for 20 years with genuine in-your-home customer service by English speaking German or British technicians. They cost only a fraction more, which of course represents the enormous difference in quality.

Jazzman as you can see on a post of page 1 of this forum, some guy was not totally happy with the way the german Thyssen company fiited there windows, Europvc windows & Windsor windows both make on site as I know both of there factories & showroom in Ptty, Windsor windows are about the cheapest around here thats for sure, although I don't know anything about the German company you mention?
Another nice alternative is to get alloy windows White powder coated, we have done this on a couple of jobs & it looks real nice, from a distance looks like upvc!!!!

Well, Mr. Rosegate, despite searching, I didn't see the post on page one, which you mention. If there is indeed one, please quote it.

I have windows and doors installed from WRVinyl (http://wrvinyl.com), and I watched them measuring, building and installing them. If you say that "Europvc windows & Windsor windows both made on site" then I can only say that I'm happy that wrvinyl.com does NOT do it, they come to measure, but then they cut the frames and weld them together in their own factory, using their specialized and professional tools and jigs, and not in my house, and not with amateur tools.

About Windsor, well, my neighbor almost bought Windsor windows, but then he got a better offer from wrvinyl, which he accepted. so I have some doubt if you say that "Windsor windows are about the cheapest around here thats for sure", except if you refer to the quality. My neighbor compared the wrvinyl offer directly with the Windsor offer. And even after the Wrvinyl windows had been installed, he continued to say that he got the better windows for the lower price.

About the Europvc windows I cannot comment, I don't know them.

If you buy PVC windows from China you can get the same quality as Thyssen, but you can also get PVC frames which warp, discolor, and go yellow.
Attila

Re: PVC windows

Postby jazzman » Sat May 12, 2007 2:37 pm

cruzing wrote:I like the doors and windows that Attila has in his house, very much. They work easily and look really good. I can't remember if he had to pay extra for the screens or if they came with, but the point is that they are available.
Cruzing

Say no more... 8)
jazzman

Postby rosegate » Sat May 12, 2007 4:31 pm

Attila wrote:
rosegate wrote:

Well, Mr. Rosegate, despite searching, I didn't see the post on page one, which you mention. If there is indeed one, please quote it.

I have windows and doors installed from WRVinyl (http://wrvinyl.com), and I watched them measuring, building and installing them. If you say that "Europvc windows & Windsor windows both made on site" then I can only say that I'm happy that wrvinyl.com does NOT do it, they come to measure, but then they cut the frames and weld them together in their own factory, using their specialized and professional tools and jigs, and not in my house, and not with amateur tools.

About Windsor, well, my neighbor almost bought Windsor windows, but then he got a better offer from wrvinyl, which he accepted. so I have some doubt if you say that "Windsor windows are about the cheapest around here thats for sure", except if you refer to the quality. My neighbor compared the wrvinyl offer directly with the Windsor offer. And even after the Wrvinyl windows had been installed, he continued to say that he got the better windows for the lower price.

About the Europvc windows I cannot comment, I don't know them.

If you buy PVC windows from China you can get the same quality as Thyssen, but you can also get PVC frames which warp, discolor, and go yellow.

You obviusly did not see my quote above that said I did not know anything about the German company wrvinyl
You also misunderstood what I was saying about the other companies I mentioned, they come out & measure up & build there frames in there factories in Ptty & install on site.
Look at Whosdadday remarks on the first page & you clearly see that he was unhappy the way his windows were installed
Cheap is not always best believe me!!!
rosegate

Postby songkran » Sun May 13, 2007 12:05 am

Seems to me that between them, Attila and Jazzman are in perfect command of this thread. Nobody is suggesting that the Thyssen doors and windows are cheap. They may be slightly less expensive than the American Windsor brand, but uPVC doors and windows work out at almost double the cost of best quality solution in aluminium alloy.

Much of the the quality depends not only on the materials but on the competency with which they are installed and Whosdaddy's complaint was with the local labour and not with the quality of the materials.

I have never had any problems whatsoever with the doors and windows I purchased from WrVinyl, which, by the way is Austrian owned, not German, although in hindsight I rather wish I has opted for a slightly cheaper solution,like Jazzman did, and spend the saving on some other desperately needed feature for my house.
songkran

Re: PVC Windows and Doors

Postby tung » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:07 am

I am considering using PVC windows when I start the new house build.

As this thread seems to be quite old I was wondering if anyone has any recent experience with UPVC windows.

National Suppliers?

New Suppliers?
tung

Re: PVC Windows and Doors

Postby jazzman » Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:39 pm

Yes, the thread's a bit old, Tung, but I can assure you that WRvinyl are still, IMHO, one of the best and most professional of the suppliers in the Pattaya area; their prices are highly competitive when compared with other brands and for a job lot for a complete house they will install anywhere in the country. They are fully accredited and licenced by Thyssen and honour all their guarantee commitments.
jazzman

PreviousNext

Return to windows and doors