Land of the smile..... my ass.

Observations, thoughts and your stories about living in Thailand, share them here. 'My life in Thailand' or 'Observations on Living in Thailand'.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Land of the smile..... my ass.

Postby Maarten » Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:02 pm

I have now been living in Thailand for almost two years.
I came here since my girlfriend (now my wife) is Thai.
I am sorry to say that Thailand is the most disgusting, disgraceful and horrible place in the entire world.
I can say this because I have been in just about the entire world (approx. 100 country's) and not "just had a stop-over" No, I actually have spend at least a month, but mostly more, in every country.

Needless to say my wife and I are leaving this shit-hole and we will settle down in South America.
We are not sure about the country yet, but most country's will accept our "residency" with courtesy and respect. They make you feel welcome.
After month's of immigration-hassle, show-interviews and a clear viewpoint about residency (forget it, you will never ever get it) this is such a nice treatment.

What surprises me so much is that 75 % of the farrangs that I speak feel the same way.... But most of them are "to stuck" financially to leave.
I will loose some money to. Actually a lot, but that does not keep me in this silk-prison. I rather lose half my money then the enjoyment of the rest of my life. (I am 43)

I know most of you know excactly what I am talking about, the constant lying, cheating, stealing and the total absence of any kind of responsibility once actions.

I am not interested to have a complete discusion about this subject. i am sure some farrangs will act "all surprised". They have met only nice people etc. I am sure they are happy, or think they are and that is the same.
But many are not.

To those I would just like to say: Don't trough away the rest of your life. Accept the loss, leave, start over. It is not you, it's not that you don't fit in. The rest of the world will treath you as a human being and not as a ATM or a mop (squeeze it until the last drop, then trough it away).
Ofcourse there are also "bad things" in the rest of the world.... but the good things outweigh them just as much as the farrang price outweighs the thai price.
Do you think Thailand is cheap, and is this why you put up with it? Think and count again..... Thailand is not cheap. Most country's in South America are half price of thailand....

Good luck to you all.
Maarten :(
Maarten

Postby Pluma » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:59 pm

Maarten

Your description could very well be the Philippines also.

I know most of you know excactly what I am talking about, the constant lying, cheating, stealing and the total absence of any kind of responsibility once actions.

The same goes on here. Seems that it is honed to a fine art.

I wish you well wherever you settle down.

Sometimes I wonder why I live in the Philippines, but it is only for
6 months of the year, the rest is spent in the USA.
Pluma

Postby jazzman » Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:34 pm

Then you have never tried living in France!*
I gave up after 12 years of it and came to Thailand where I at least expect things to be different.

*The best food, the best cheese, the best wine, the best climate, the best landscape in Europe. But that's all. And I'm European.
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Postby Tallskipper » Sun May 06, 2007 10:40 am

I think your comments on LOS are on the harsh side. I have also spent my whole adult life overseas, so have a somewhat broadbase to compare LOS with. The Thais are not perfect and nobody in this world is. It might just be that your expectations were too high, quite a common mistake among foreigners living here.
You seem to indicate that you do not know well the country you are planning to move to, whatever the outcome is, lowering expectations would be the way I approach it.
Among the 100 countries you travelled to, was it not at least one you liked?
Tallskipper

Postby jazzman » Sun May 06, 2007 11:57 am

Hi Tallskipper

I'm not quite sure whose post you are replying to, but after my native UK, I have lived in Germany for 18 years and France for 12 with very long stays in a multitude of very different countries, and I have now been in Thailand for nearly 8 years. In the LOS I was under no illusion that things would be very different - espescially after having lived in Africa in darkest, pre-internet times :) and the years in France.

Thailand is a wonderful place to be as long as people who have not ventured far from home before are aware of what to expect and do their homework.
After marrying and building a house here, at my age I will not be moving on again :D
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
jazzman

Postby Tallskipper » Wed May 09, 2007 7:15 pm

Hi Jazzman,

Sorry for the confusion, I was actually replying to Maarten's original post, I have to admit it wasn't obvious.

Have a nice day, watch the rain for the next few days.
Tallskipper

Postby Nawty » Sun May 13, 2007 12:00 pm

There are problems living here, I have them, everyone has them, each of us to different degrees than others, each have different expectations to others.

I do not speak the language very well, so even though I get frustrated and annoyed attimes, I also appreciate that a lot of it is my fault because I cannot converse what I want or need.

I should state i have been as close as married (not actual) for 10 years, in Los for 5 years and have 2 kids. The lack of language is a combination of my own laziness, bad memory and tone deaf and the missus speaks good australian.

3 friends of mine that speak fluent or close to it thai, do not have these problems as much.

A friend who has been here for jst over 2 years and decided to spend the last year full time in Chula learning thai, can now have long conversations in thai and also read and write. This experience from nothing a year ago, to this now has shown him and me that speaking the lingo simply opens up a lot more for him.

I have a 5 yo I take everywhere with me and he is my designated interpreter.

Problems and difficulties with visas are very annoying, considring the converse for my missus in Oz is that she almost has as many rights as I do now being the mother of Australian children.

But then again, I just got my O visa renewal last week, after shitting bricks that it would be denied after I made 2 rather large mistake with is, but it was renewed and all went well. Other peoples visa's in the same category i have read are being refused, mine was not.

Anyway, it aint all roses, there are better places to live and far worse, if you think there are none worse, then go live in India or iraq or Afghanistan or Siberia...maybe even Tasmania.

I like it here for now, maybe not later, thingschange and when they do, we may just move on. But with kids things change so much more.
Nawty

Postby jazzman » Wed May 16, 2007 7:32 pm

A nice, well balanced piece of prose. Thank you Nawty.

I'm sure this is how most of us feel who have got past the two-year point. (2 years is the the psychological maximum which most embassies and consulates expect their staff to stay on a foreign posting in one country).

Maybe those whose opinions differ greatly have another axe to grind. Life is very much what you make it, whatever country you live in.
jazzman

Postby Tallskipper » Sat May 19, 2007 7:58 pm

Let's see if I can post a reply without the connection dropping off this time :( .

Indeed Nawty, speaking the language makes a huge difference. As any foreign languages there are endless levels of communication. Certainly Thai is a very frustrating language to learn, because of the remotness with western languages. Beside very few Thai are willing to help, moreover some thais do not like foreigners speaking he lingo. Formal training is certainly helpful for those with a brain tune to classroom, a good immersion with only Thai speakers around, a dictionary and a couple of good language books work well for others.

Now back to the original point, there are much worse places than LOS. I am always amused when coming across someone bitterly complaining about LOS and its inhabitant; when I ask what place would be better it is always followed with silence and eventually with a diversion on a different subject.

If there was a perfect place on earth, it would most likely be rather crowded 8)
Tallskipper

Postby danblack » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:31 am

Hey Maarten, what country do you plan to move to in SA
danblack

Re: Land of the smile..... my ass.

Postby jazzman » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:01 pm

You'll not get an answer:
Maarten wrote:I am not interested to have a complete discusion about this subject.

One can only wonder why he didn't do his homework and listen to people in the first place. Plenty of forums, books and magazines warn about the possible disadvantages of living here, just as his own posting is a further caveat for anyone who hasn't tried living here yet.

Like the advice we give about building houses too - some people never listen... :P

Tallskipper wrote:If there was a perfect place on earth, it would most likely be rather crowded Cool

Er... Heaven?
Na, more like Pattaya (for most people) :twisted:
jazzman

Postby Nawty » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:20 am

Anybody else having a hoot of a time here like the OP ?
conwood is not real wood.....break it down 'con' to deceive...'wood'
Nawty

Postby MGV12 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:29 pm

We are an adaptive species if we give ourselves the chance ... after all, we are not talking about comparing the different needs of a Zebra, a Pelican, a Polar Bear, a snake et al .... we are all the same species only brought up in a different environment and culture.

Often those who choose to live in a different country, especially in their retirement years when adapting to new things is not always so easy, don't research and consider the important implications and possible challenges enough. It's more about getting away from where they are currently living ...... then can we afford it ...... then will the weather be better .... but that's far from the whole story and so the 'Two Year Itch' as it's been described; the 'itch' came two years two late ... should have thought of that before you came to a country where there are no guarantees, you are not made as welcome by officialdom as in some countries and having brought your money in you then find it's a darn site harder [maybe impossible] to get it out again.

I have only been here a little over that two years mentioned and admit to some of the frustrations expressed, knowing the language can help in some ways but in many areas it's best not to know the content of the discussion as it probably takes an unimaginably different course to the one you would take and may end up with no conclusion or as much misunderstanding as there was at the beginning; or even more. Ever asked for directions from a Thai? :lol:

If you live in a country where the front door opens inwards [as I did] and you couldn't possibly adjust to one where the front door usually open outwards you may well be better off looking elsewhere or staying put :(

Me? Very much here to stay and, irrespective of the laws that work against us, my new root system is growing strong and healthy. You need to be a 'glass half full' person not a 'glass half empty' person ..... could ramble on some more but I had better get back to trying to find why the water level is dropping slightly in the new fish pond I filled for the first time this morning :|

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby BKKBILL » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:48 pm

Well I guess things can’t be all that bad if we have to dig up a four year old thread just to find out someone is leaving because they "just don’t feel at home".

It’s not too surprising problems occur since most of us are expatriates living in a foreign country with a very different language and customs.

Most of us would not be here if if wasn’t for a marriage which is in it’s self is fought with problems. Mine you after twenty-one years with eleven here guess I can't complain too much.

I find it really is something we all get along as well as we do. What with all the planning, building and such. Think there is more freedom here than back in Canada, less rules to follow anyway.

MGV12 has it right it's all about what half of the glass your looking at.

As for the OP in November 05 he posted

“After riding my bike arround the world (and meeting my wife in Thailand on the way) I decided to spend the rest of my life here in LOS (Land of smile?).

Kanchanaburi seemed to be the ideal place. It has mountains (excuse me; hills), rivers and lots of tree,s.
:D :D :D

To November 06

“I am sorry to say that Thailand is the most disgusting, disgraceful and horrible place in the entire world.
I can say this because I have been in just about the entire world (approx. 100 country's) and not "just had a stop-over" No, I actually have spend at least a month, but mostly more, in every country.”
:( :x :(

Must have been a tough year.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby fredlk » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:22 pm

BKKBILL wrote:Most of us would not be here if if wasn’t for a marriage which is in it’s self is fought with problems.

That rules me out then. :D
BKKBILL wrote:I find it really is something we all get along as well as we do. What with all the planning, building and such. Think there is more freedom here than back in Canada, less rules to follow anyway.

And that is one of the many reasons I am here. I love the country, its people, the climate, the food and the lack of rules.
The rules and regulations, taxes and fines in the nanny states of Europe were driving me insane. And the weather. And much much more.

Every morning when I wake up here, see the cloudless sky, don't have to put on a shirt to feel warm and see leaves on the trees and flowers ALWAYS, I thank my lucky stars.
I've lived many years in now 3 countries and travelled extensively but there is nothing like Thailand. Well not for me anyway and that's why I'm building my aged home here. :wink:
fredlk

Next

Return to Life in Thailand