5 A/C unites to prepare!

Air conditioning, fans, and anything related to keeping it cool, such as insulation. This would include any posts generally discussing how to keep it cool, such as which types of blocks are better insulators.... ideal wall thickness for keeping an A/C house cool, etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: 5 A/C unites to prepare!

Postby 116ahcops » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:57 am

Im a former HVAC contractor in southern California, 30 years exp. Recommend you have 10 amp circuit ( or 10 amp per 10,000 BTU) per system if its a 24,000 BTU you may need 20 AMPS. This should be a larger gauge wire making power available at the condensing unit area. Here we install a service disconnect switch ( service disconnect) so that repairs can be done safely.

The price of the installation labor in Thailand :D makes me cry, I could never run a competitive business over there.
116ahcops

Postby Shastadad » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:33 am

You are probably going to have to fight tooth and nail to get your builder to prepare for your eventual A/C install. Usually the most they will do is to include the A/C wiring and separate circuit into the electrical plan that the electrician will follow

Like most "add ons" their attitude is to let the installer deal with it, since that is his job :evil:

I am currently spending over 10,000 THB to install a plastic pipe for my stove vent to the outside because they would not break the hole into the wall during the build, before the ceiling was installed, even though they knew all along where the vent pipe was going to be located :roll:
Shastadad

Postby geordie » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:58 pm

Shastadad wrote:You are probably going to have to fight tooth and nail to get your builder to prepare for your eventual A/C install. Usually the most they will do is to include the A/C wiring and separate circuit into the electrical plan that the electrician will follow

Like most "add ons" their attitude is to let the installer deal with it, since that is his job :evil:

I am currently spending over 10,000 THB to install a plastic pipe for my stove vent to the outside because they would not break the hole into the wall during the build, before the ceiling was installed, even though they knew all along where the vent pipe was going to be located :roll:

The unfortunate truth on how stupid and selfish they can be even if they did not know an exact location the pipe could have been fitted and left for extending later
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby Shastadad » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:53 am

geordie wrote:The unfortunate truth on how stupid and selfish they can be even if they did not know an exact location the pipe could have been fitted and left for extending later

What is even worse is that based upon the shape of the kitchen there was no need to know the exact location, there was only one location where it could go through to the outside, that is what is so frustrating
Shastadad

Postby Ajax » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:54 pm

Hello gentlemen.

I am not a cheap charlie when comes to pay my electrician. He is proberly one of the best in Thailand, and he has left low prices for everything he has done.
But I dont realy understand the price of the last job he did some days ago.
He and his helper installed 2 air-conditions in 2 bedrooms I have not taken in use yet.
The electric installations where prepaired for and there where very short distance from outside unit to the ones inside the rooms.
They used a normal 1 days work to do the job. Everything for the installation was allready payd for.

To be honest I find it a litle expensive to pay 5000 bath for just work when knowing dayrates for work is not that high.

Any comments?
Ajax

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:41 pm

Ajax,
Did that include all wiring to the mains box, tripper switches, outside cover/insulation from the compressor? It normally costs about 2,000 baht per air conditioner unit, but if they weren't new units he might have had to add things, or if they were new units it would depend on what they cost you.
Roger Ramjet

Postby MRL » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:45 pm

Ajax wrote:Hello gentlemen.

I am not a cheap charlie when comes to pay my electrician. He is proberly one of the best in Thailand, and he has left low prices for everything he has done.
But I dont realy understand the price of the last job he did some days ago.
He and his helper installed 2 air-conditions in 2 bedrooms I have not taken in use yet.
The electric installations where prepaired for and there where very short distance from outside unit to the ones inside the rooms.
They used a normal 1 days work to do the job. Everything for the installation was allready payd for.

To be honest I find it a litle expensive to pay 5000 bath for just work when knowing dayrates for work is not that high.

Any comments?

2,500 Baht/unit is the standard quoted rate all over Thailand, and it's what practically every contractor will start off quoting you.

That doesn't mean you have to pay it though - the last 2 units I fitted ended up costing 1,000 Baht each after a little negotiation ;)
MRL

Postby pipoz » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:31 pm

I bought a A/C Samsung split unit, for my TGs bedroom, 3 months back.

It is 18,000 BTU (the larger one), which will comfortably do a bedroom of about 5m x 4m x 2.3 ceiling height.

I paid TB 17,500 for that A/C unit from Big C in Udon Thani and another TB 2,500 to have it installed.

Phil
pipoz

Postby Makmak456 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:44 am

not a bad price ! Here in the USA, it is cost of unit, and install cost is 100% of the unit cost.
Makmak456

Previous

Return to cooling systems