Geordie: Retiring in Thailand

Observations, thoughts and your stories about living in Thailand, share them here. 'My life in Thailand' or 'Observations on Living in Thailand'.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Geordie: Retiring in Thailand

Postby geordie » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:31 am

split from here: Building in Nontharburi/Pak Kret
Tell your forman thank you for his small contribution toward my happiness Rodger i spend most days admittedly feeling a bit down and a bit disheartened with life on hold as it is
People visiting the house and complaining the layout is not quite right or the location is not quite right or they don,t like the vine on the front of the house They would like a second bathroom I sometimes wonder if they go out veiwing on a weekend especially just to pass time ??? If your foreman would like to make a huge contribution to my happiness ask him does he wish to buy a house in England :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Re: Building in Nontharburi/Pak Kret

Postby gliffaes » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:24 am

geordie wrote:Tell your forman thank you for his small contribution toward my happiness Rodger i spend most days admittedly feeling a bit down and a bit disheartened with life on hold as it is
People visiting the house and complaining the layout is not quite right or the location is not quite right or they don,t like the vine on the front of the house They would like a second bathroom I sometimes wonder if they go out veiwing on a weekend especially just to pass time ??? If your foreman would like to make a huge contribution to my happiness ask him does he wish to buy a house in England :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Friend recently sold his UK house, the only current solution is 1. whats your lowest acceptable price then 2 Knock another 10K off and you might sell it , the market is dire whatever agents tell you.
Fortunately for me I sold one of my UK houses right at the peak in 2006-7 paid "40k for it in 2000, gutted and refurbed it myself and sold on for £179k.
You're gonna take a hit now whatever happens and there will be no improvement for a long time....... 10years+ I reckon.
Im thankful now to be over here fulltime after 5 years of being part time every 5 months staying for 3 months + we almost have enough to start the house, our only other problem will be time to do it.
gliffaes

Postby geordie » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:49 am

marketing began 20k below valuation then took another 15k hit for a quick sale so £35k below valuation :( :( followed by 8 weeks of excuses and no progress so not quick bye bye new offer in anyway up £8000 took new offer got screwed totally with a 7months piss about
several fees for indemnity,s and solicitors ect still paying bills :? :? then told sorry its off :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: !! no reason off just off ??
now back on the market some weeks up to 7 veiwings = no offers currently being marketed for £60,000 below the original valuation at £350 000 not the £410 000+ it was the question is how big a hit to take or hang it out = £10,000 a year to stay here ? so feel like i am going backwards
Sorry for the deviation Rodger Just remember those lost souls in the UK
geordie

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:22 pm

geordie,
You don't have to apologise to me, if you recall, I was also screwed around by a certain Real Estate "manager" who did nothing for 6 months except resign when he was caught doing nothing.
If it hadn't been for running out of space in this townhouse and needing parking for two cars and finding the wonderful stories at this forum, I'd probably have a lot of money, a Jaguar and be nearly dead with boredom.
I've said it many times, I don't mind the off topic stories, I think they add flavour to a build that is going too smoothly for some.
Roger Ramjet

Postby geordie » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:37 pm

Thanks Rodger you are also part of the reason as to why i will not consider rental :wink:
But i also sit here and think how nice a house over there for Bht 3 million And the boredom sound interesting ? at least its warm boredom even if its wet :lol:
geordie

Postby gliffaes » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:21 pm

geordie wrote:marketing began 20k below valuation then took another 15k hit for a quick sale so £35k below valuation :( :( followed by 8 weeks of excuses and no progress so not quick bye bye new offer in anyway up £8000 took new offer got screwed totally with a 7months piss about
several fees for indemnity,s and solicitors ect still paying bills :? :? then told sorry its off :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: !! no reason off just off ??
now back on the market some weeks up to 7 veiwings = no offers currently being marketed for £60,000 below the original valuation at £350 000 not the £410 000+ it was the question is how big a hit to take or hang it out = £10,000 a year to stay here ? so feel like i am going backwards
Sorry for the deviation Rodger Just remember those lost souls in the UK

eeeek the problem is its nowhere near first time buyer territory either, not that there's many of those about either.
gliffaes

Postby geordie » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:54 pm

The way the pound is being devalued it may well suit a first time buyer soon what i find really gutting is if i do sell for 3millon baht less now !
Because of the crap exchage rate compared to ten years ago 74bht - £1
now 47-50 bht -£1 !! so i lose another third hoorah for retirement :cry: :cry: :cry: I am having doubts if i can afford to retire on the other hand without work i cannot afford to stay :?
geordie

Postby nanbuilder » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:41 am

geordie wrote:The way the pound is being devalued it may well suit a first time buyer soon what i find really gutting is if i do sell for 3millon baht less now !
Because of the crap exchage rate compared to ten years ago 74bht - £1
now 47-50 bht -£1 !! so i lose another third hoorah for retirement :cry: :cry: :cry: I am having doubts if i can afford to retire on the other hand without work i cannot afford to stay :?

I think that is the nub of it - the cost of actually staying in the Land of Misery and No Smiles. For me the associated costs of living in UK where the Tax Man is nobody's favourite topic all adds up to depression and no hope..... and don't get me started on our euro, middle eastern and african neighbours who are all too well aware that the UK Govt will welcome them with open arms ready to issue numerous keys to the treasury!

By comparison to Geordie my wealth is modest but I am fortunate to have a GBP pension from 23 years service. I took the decision to retire at 50 in the full knowledge that I will never be rich and I have to accept the unforeseen baht v GBP cunundrum. If it all goes the wrong way at least I will have fruit and veggies - chickens, pigs, goats and fishes - and enough cash to pay the modest home bills with no debt.

Cannot advise you on what to do Geordie, but if it was me (in my circumstances) I would take the hit and get out of there soonest and save on those living costs and bills - I would wager your costs are substantially more than your estimated 10k a year....... take time to add up ALL your housekeeping expenditure and factor in the differences in cost of living. Leaving UK was the best thing I ever did - though I do miss my grown up children so so very much and that is the one that hurts. Hoping they will get rich soon and airfares come down to earth!
nanbuilder

Postby geordie » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:09 pm

nanbuilder wrote:
Cannot advise you on what to do Geordie, but if it was me (in my circumstances) I would take the hit and get out of there soonest and save on those living costs and bills - I would wager your costs are substantially more than your estimated 10k a year....... take time to add up ALL your housekeeping expenditure and factor in the differences in cost of living. Leaving UK was the best thing I ever did - though I do miss my grown up children so so very much and that is the one that hurts. Hoping they will get rich soon and airfares come down to earth!

The thing is at the moment i am trying to take the hit anything from four to eight veiwings a week all telling me how much they love the place and at £60,000 below market it,s a bargain but no offers ? on it ??
Thats why i wondered if people are so bored they spend their weekends wandering around peoples houses as a form of entertainment then whinge they would like a second bathroom
They don,t like the coulour of the walls the vine on the front will cause bugs in the house
The would prefer a door between the living room & kitchen diner the stupidity that comes out of people is astonishing They have a sixty grand saving to change what they want ??
Really who would not buy a house at a sixty grand discount and tell the agent its because ther is no door on the kitchen
Really who would tell the agent i loved the house but i will not buy it because it has a vine growing on the wall
The real story is they are dreaming of moving house but cannot get a morgage to do so but that will not stop the pratts looking When the banks start bragging 12,000 morgages were issued last month its not hard to see why its not sold 12,000 morgages accross the uk is a drop in the ocean as to what is applied for so i am stuck here with the clock ticking aginst failing body parts likely to put me in a wheelchair so it would be nice to have a few years of lesure beforehand As for missing my kids 3-4 times a year they visit i used to miss them but not any more and one son has announced he is moving away a couple of hundred miles another is spending 3-4 days a week in geneva the third works weekends so that his excuse
Staying here for them is no benifit to me or them the £!0,000 expenses was £10,000 a year more than i would be spending if i were resident over there
geordie

Re: Geordie: Retiring in Thailand

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:48 am

Geordie,
If you had any brains you would shoot the foxes, skin them and sell the skins for squillions. A good fox pelt in Australia was worth $75 about 20 years ago, so I wonder what it is worth now? I paid for all the kids Christmas presents one year just by culling foxes and one present was a motorbike costing $700 at the time. If you were smart you would have enough money to start your new build....here!
Roger Ramjet

Postby geordie » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:23 am

That was then Rodger back in the day :lol: :lol: :lol:
Now fur is not fashionable :(
I could advertise the house comes with live stock :D
geordie

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:18 pm

Geordie,
I just looked at the price people are getting for good quality fox pelts and you could make a thousand pound a week (tax free) if you were serious about "migrating" to the warmer climate. I take it 52 thousand pounds a year is not enough for you? I'd be going shooting tonight if I were in your position. http://www.furs.com/price.html and after taking into consideration you'd only get 1/3rd that price, you'd still get 52 thousand pounds a year........tax free.
Roger Ramjet

Postby geordie » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:41 pm

Thats fine but how do you skin a fox and keep it preserved
And joking aside half a dozen live traps would net 10-20 foxes a night every night i live in london the five i dispose of are shot out of a bedroom window on private property with consideration for British law :roll: :roll: basically to get the first five i do not have to leave the house within a week or two the area will have five replacements There are that many of them
after 11pm if you drive one mile from the house you will spot another 5-6 wandering looking for dinner
Ideally leave it untill after 12 deposit the traps with say a nice chicken in them for bait and tour around till 4 am collecting the foxes the first problem you run into is you have to kill them humanely now you caught them you cannot just shoot them However a transit van with a hosepipe from the exhaust (carbon monoxide) into it will kill them humanely then you woul have to find a way of disposing of the meaty bits (the area is packed ! (and i mean packed with Koreans) do they eat dog ? and will fox taste the same :lol: because it seems a shame to waste it then i have to dispose of the guts and gore an ocasional trip to landfill you can get away with b :lol: t they would get suspicios if you turned up there with a half ton of fox guts
in black bin liners Then i would imagine you have to do something with the pelts to preserve them and stop them rotting ? Iv,e no idea what then i would have to ship them off somewhere for to sell them because one thing for sure if they were worth anything at all in the uk i would not have the oportunity to shoot 5 a week
But i like the idea so what i may do is start skinning the mice as they are easier to deal with
and practice with them while i do more research but i will need a lot of mice pelts to make a coat
geordie

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:13 pm

Geordie,
Stop making excuses. Fox pelts only need to nailed to a door to dry (you do have doors don't you) for a couple of weeks. I used to use the sheering shed door (both sides) and that way the ants used to clean them up pretty well. The tails are the hardest to remove, but if you have two round bits of metal, you just clamp them together (I'm sure you'll work out how) and pull. Complete fox tails are worth a bit too because they make them into fur stoles ($800 +).
You can salt them down, but you won't get any more for them, it just keeps them supple.
Just look at Fur Dealers GB in Google... hundreds of them.
Be nature minded Geordie and recycle. Just dump the carcasses where the hawks and eagles can get at them.... between fat lamb's guts, roo and fox carcasses, I kept the Wedge Tailed eagle population fed, their chicks fed and all the hawks fed (after the Wedgies had left) and what they didn't eat a couple of wild pigs did (which was good for hunting later). Call me Mr. Consevation, the Green Party would have loved me.... Parks and Wildlife rangers did and so did the Australian National University who were always down our way doing "studies" into Wedgies and platypus and kookaburras, and I had more Wedgies flying around at my end of the valley than anywhere else.
For this consultation the Shonky Builders will take just 30% commission.
Roger Ramjet

Postby geordie » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:37 pm

well brace yourselves i have accepted an offer of £350,000 the current asking price :(down £29000 in 12 months
But what the hell it gets me out of here maybe before christmass :lol: :lol:
Not banking on it too much as i have been here twice before and lost a lot of money in the process but hopefully it will happen this time please god (i know fred you don,t speak to him)
but those wh o do ? have a word :lol: :lol: :lol: i am sure i must have pee,d him off
geordie

Next

Return to Life in Thailand