Estimating Beam Material Cost

Anything to do with prices. Raw material prices or prices for finished material (or labor such as well drilling). Project prices (how much will it cost??), etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Estimating Beam Material Cost

Postby thailazer » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:45 pm

Our two story house will end up having quite a few beams, both in the ground and supporting the second floor. Does my estimation below sound reasonable:

Assumptions:

Cubic meter of concrete delivered = 2000 baht
Rebar cost will equal concrete material cost. *
Beam size is 20 by 40 cm.

12.5 meter of the beam run will cost 4000 baht. (I.E. one cubic meter of concrete and equivalent cost of rebar.)

100 meters of beam will cost 32,000 baht.

*I make this assumption from Max and Bee's spread sheet of costs, and it seems to make sense based on the cost of steel.

Am I missing something here?
thailazer

Re: Estimating Beam Material Cost

Postby geordie » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:04 pm

It never make sense :mrgreen:
Allow for inflation / farrang taxation and importantly for the shuttering which if you cannot hire it in the area will come to a good few baht the other thing to watch is all beams are not equal some will have a lot more cost on the steel so give it worst case scenario on the costs and end up happy if you save some
Take a look at RR nonthaburi he has some great beam shots whilst naked (the beams not RR :mrgreen: ) his steelworkers were top notch and it definately shows on the install
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby thailazer » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:10 pm

Naked shots? Okay, off I go to look! Well, we can buy our own CPAC and the steel for our build is a bit on the expensive side as the designer was out to impress either us or the approving engineer. Nothing wrong with that and he succeeded in a design that looks good to me. I gather though that I am not too far off?

By the shuttering I assume you mean the forms? That is a good point as we'll probably have to rent those and they are not material or labor..... But... If shuttering means something else I am all ears.
thailazer

Postby geordie » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:18 pm

shuttering =formwork probably a english term ? but yes if you have based it on the prioces you have available you should be in the ballpark
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby thailazer » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:07 pm

ESTIMATING AMOUNT OF CEMENT PER METER OF BEAM:

I thought I would post some findings from our second floor beam pour yesterday. We have 108 meters of 20 by 40 cm beam, with reinforcing rod in the forms. At the end of the day, we had used up 40 bags of cement which theoretically could have made as much as ten cubic meters of concrete, assuming 4 bags per cubic meter. We decided to mix our own as the crew is extremely consistent with how they put together each batch, and their work is less wet than what CPAC delivers, plus we know exactly what is in each batch.

A 12.5 meter run of beam should use up about 1 cubic meter of concrete. Our 108 meters of beam divided by 12.5 meters shows that we should have used 8.64 cubic meters of concrete. (Excludes the small volume taken up by the steel.)

If you are using 20 by 40 cm beams, I think you can use 40 bags / 108 meters or
about .4 bag of cement per meter of beam run. Simply add up the total length of your beams and multiply by .4 to estimate the number of bags of cement you will need. You will of course want to have adequate gravel and washed sand on hand as well.

It was an amazing day watching ten of the hardest workers in the world. They hardly stopped all day hoisting up the pails and pouring them in the forms. I was the mud grunt below vibrating the forms. We bought them whiskey, chicken, and mixers at the end of the day and they stayed long into the evening having a bit of a party. Great people that love to work and love the land.
thailazer

Postby farang no good » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:06 pm

geordie wrote:It never make sense :mrgreen:
Take a look at RR nonthaburi he has some great beam shots whilst naked (the beams not RR :mrgreen: ) his steelworkers were top notch and it definately shows on the install

Trying to search the forum but can't find anything by this author. Would love to look at it. Please help.
farang no good

Postby pattayapope » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:57 pm

RR = Roger Ramjet

Check his build story

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1864
pattayapope

Return to material prices & building costs