Sweet Mango Village Land,wall and later house.

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

Sweet Mango Village Land,wall and later house.

Postby olavhome » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:59 pm

After studying other peoples treds with big interest i try to open my own.
Even if i presume it will be about 4 years until we make our own house, we will next year make house for wifes daughter/and my MIL on same land.
But since I like to keep tings ship-shape by myself, both me and my wife found it a good idea :wink: that the houses is separated by a wall.
The land is about 14 kilometer east of Satuk, Buriram and we bought it june 2008. Total 7.5 rai, just beside main road. On the other side is obator, a combined fire/ambulance, school and also a small medical senter.
Price for the land was THB 1.020.000,-, maybe expensive :? But was tinking neigbours on other side was ok, and look spacey.
When we boutht it I was back in Norway (no pension yet :( ) and my, at that time GF, called and described the land and area.
Coming on an extra holiday a mont later, we started planning ahead, talking about first had to do was to remove som trees and fill up dirt to a litte above road level on the area panning to make future house. This, "New land" was about 1 kilometer from where she stayed with her mother, sister and daughter.
Typically, within 2 hours a men having tractor, machine and trucks arrived at the scene :shock: :shock:
1 week later the land was cleared and about 250 trucks of dirt had been filled on about 2 rais.
Rest of the land is rice field where a neighour made rice, giving MIL 30% as rent for the land.
When I did return followin march we dod fill up at little extra, thinking ok that future house is about 50 cm above street level. It dons seems ( up to now :roll: )that we will have problem with flooding in rainy season.
Before my (now) wife came to Norway to stay with me she supervised building om perimeter wall aroung "main land" where plan to make our house/garden.
It is 32x52 meter and plan to have "in-walled" vegetable garden with a fish-dam behind for 30X32 meter. Had told her that i preferred "high quality" before low price the wall was made by some Kmeer people in the village. Made colums every 2 meter, did dig down 70/80 cm. Heigh in the back 1.80m. Also made doble foundation to neighbouring land which lay ca 1 m lower, so seems ok.
She had told the man in charge that we liked an extra small gate beside the big gate, but unfortuneately she was away buying extra steel one day, and by returning the builders had forgot all about it. :x .
Not sure what we will do about it, maybe we just cut away the concrete wall and make an extra gate, even if a little wider than usual.
olavhome

Re: Sweet Mango Village Land,wall and later house.

Postby olavhome » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:36 pm

Havde tried to put in some pics- no success yet :evil:
It is the typical - man versus machine = result machine 1 man ZERO :lol:
Have been trying to reduce size but my pictures then get very small.
But have decided to succeed-sooner or later-at the moment at least managed to get a few into an album.
olavhome

Postby olavhome » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:35 pm

Image0093.jpg
From "vegetable area" to land for house.Road/obator in back
Image0095.jpg
Looking north-east with local medical center in back. (and also sportfield where local ladies make arobic in evenings :-)
Image0096.jpg
Double foundation towards lower land (not mine)
Image0098.jpg
My wife had told boss to make small door at the left side. Unfortunately she was away and they "forgot". As said in Steven Segal movie: assumption is the mother of all f...ups. Think maybe just take away the blocks later and make a "little larger" second gate anyway.
Image0104.jpg
DSC00045.JPG
LOS and Jai di maak maak :-). My wife collectet all bottles in neigborhood. I was really shocket in beginning but now think as "very good idea"

Smart Man :? Did manage. But pictures was taken by mobile phone and not by camera :!:
Attachments
Image0109.jpg
olavhome

Postby geordie » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:02 am

Being useless with computer save drag reopen resize blah blah blah
I accidentaly discovered that from my photo.s you can choose to email your picture,s when you do select this one it will ask do you want to reduce the photo size so yes then e mail it
having no explorer account it will refuse to send the e mail so it asks what you want to do I usually :) ? i save the attachments (photo,s to desktop ) and load onto the forum from there already resized
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby elgato » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:03 am

Good looking wall. May I ask the price?
elgato

Postby Maseratimartin » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:30 am

Nice piece of land...

Approx. 1000000bath for 7.5rai land in the village ...that is not expensive....I would say very cheap.

It is a huge difference if it is farm land or within the village.

Example:
We paid 600000bath for 24 rai farm land, but for our 1rai 1 nan land inside the village (similar to your situation) we paid complete 350000bath.

Now there is another lot close to us...1rai = 350000bath

And we live in a small village...Kaosamsib....the city (big village) would be Sakeaw.

Wall:
Nice as well, but the broken glass on top...hmmm...a blanket over and it is disarmed....and it does not really looks nice.

If you intend to fill against the wall then construct under soil level 45degree reinforcement footings. The weight of the soil pushing against your wall does in the same time hold it back.

Keep us updated...
Maseratimartin

Postby olavhome » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:25 pm

geordie wrote:Being useless with computer save drag reopen resize blah blah blah
I accidentaly discovered that from my photo.s you can choose to email your picture,s when you do select this one it will ask do you want to reduce the photo size so yes then e mail it
having no explorer account it will refuse to send the e mail so it asks what you want to do I usually :) ? i save the attachments (photo,s to desktop ) and load onto the forum from there already resized

Thanks, I try that. Was afraid I had to use only my mobile and take photoes when I go for holiday nd october :?
olavhome

Postby olavhome » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:35 pm

elgato wrote:Good looking wall. May I ask the price?

We paid thb 750 for all work per meter. We did buy also the materials. Price changes and I dont remember exactly. However I will bring documents back from Thailand in november and can tell. We paid the same price for work of high and low wall. Of course i could have taken a discussion about that :?
This price of 750 (work only) is also the same as we paid this march when we finished wall in the backside (vegetables garden).
olavhome

Postby olavhome » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:24 am

Had early summer holiday this year in april and we desided to make the wall for the Fruit/vegetables garden. MIL had offered to plant some mango, banana etc in rainy season, so desided ok finish the perimeter wall first. Guess take a few years for the trees to have fruits, so hopefully ready waiting when i retire at 62 (LATEST). Needed also to fill a little extra in one corner, so decided to dig a dam to get needed dirt. MIL had talked to the kmer people and ask them start digging the holes for wall footings ahead of our arrival, so wall could be finishet during our stay.
But instead of having 6-7 people working, only 3-4 arrived. Guess the didnt like to spread the money on to many hands :? . Result - slow progress.
33DSCF2390.JPG
BIG BOSS checking progress on arrival on holiday from Norway.

We also liked to have a kind of pattern of opened blocks on top of the wall. (inspiration from this site :idea: ). We liked the top block to be closed, because think looked more nice. The builder was not to happy with our solution, finding it difficult :x . But luckily they startet with the open blocks one row below his plan, so result was as planned without arguing. Nice to look trough and also letting wind come into fruit garden. :P
b9DSCF2394.JPG
Young bilder- son of man in charge.

Boyfriend of wifes daughter "knew a friend" who could help digging the dam. He came, did look (and listen) to our plans , said he understood and knew how falangs liked dam made :?: (Anybody heard same before :roll: ). Said he could dig dam, level out nice, dam cqa 10X12 meter. He belived water ca 3-4 m down. Total price for his work in one day thb 13.000,-.
8cDSCF2467.JPG
Think look a little like Baileys :-)
76DSCF2488.JPG
Well, maybe with a dash of whiskey

When finished, with the slooping sidewalls the local spesialist, told "sure that sand will come into the dam as soon as rain started". Asked why they didnt tell in advance, I was told that the man with the machine surely needed the work :twisted: .
Desided to put some extra sand, about 30cm up, to stop the most. Hoping that during the next year some grass will grow and protect the sand from sliding to the bottom.
My wifes daughter, now 17 lives with MIL when me and my wife stay in Norway. She has BF and dont think of come to stay with us. We desided to make combined house/shop for them beside our house. Personally think it will be ok, then have lokal "police" look after our property during our periods (summer) in Norway. Plan to build this house next year from march, so we did fill up a little extra for this house, 40 small trucks each thb 250
bcDSCF2472.JPG
Not only small truck...

Had already decided where to place our house, I didnt want this house steal view. Being afraid they liked to make the house close to the road because of the shop, I told them it was very important to be modern and have good space in front for customers parking cars and motorbikes :idea: . But being told it was very jai-dee for me to let MIL stay more close to the road, I agreed on 1 extra meter closer than our own planned house. Also put sticks in the ground and told everbody what they mean :evil: . BUT I WILL SURELY BE VERY PRESENT WHEN WORK START... :wink:
b9DSCF1098.JPG
Land for future house for us. House/ shop for daughter will be to the left.
f9DSCF2494.JPG
Fill up dirt for combined house/shop. "Marking sticks" hardly visible..
olavhome

Postby pattayapope » Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:46 pm

Olav

That is a really deep hole and will need a second go with the macro later as the edges will wash in for sure. What is it intended for and is it inside the boundry wall or just outside. Normally a 30 degree bank should hold once it has grass on but in the case of soft sandy soil it will always wash away as the water comes up and the soil becomes soft. If you step it and plant water loving plants it will help to stabilize the land but unless it is sealed somehow it will always dry up in the dry season. If you check this site there are some good info on sealing the pond, I would try growing rice as I have been told this helps to seal the ground.
pattayapope

Postby geordie » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:35 pm

Robert k used bentonite with some success i believe although it took a while to work he broadcast the bentonite onto the sides giving them a coating of clay ( Bentonite is powdered volcanic clay ?? i think :lol: ) Back to what i do know its commonly used for wells for sealing as when the stuff gets wet it becomes difficult for water to pass through it and also it swells creating a tight seal to stop groundwater penitrating your well maybe a layer of clay,ey soil and some bentonite ???
geordie

Postby olavhome » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:28 pm

The dam is inside the wall in the area for fruit trees and salad. The locals (family) had an idea that it could be smart to make a dam and later have fish.
The area is now closed so no childen (or animals) can go into the dam. Also water level did increase a few days later.
3dDSCF2492.JPG
Land for rice and buildings. Dam behind wall not rendered in the back.

Fish not so important to me as having access to water for watering trees and garden.
But i clearly see somthing had to be done about the side walls for some kind of permanent solution.

But have a question about future electric supply to the land. There are electric poles ending 50 meters from my land on my side of the road. On the other side there is eletric passing by my land. Also on the other side is the school, otator fire station and hospital. Im sure there also is internet cables.
I will be more happy to connect my electric/internet on the "obator-side", thinking it will be repaired earlier after a power failure. I would like to dig down cables across the road, could be done leu-leu. Put the cables inside 4 inch pipes, so could be a "once in lifetime happening". But family think "not easy". :?: Do you know somthing about tasks like this, if asked "obator" politely?
Attachments
edDSCF2479.JPG
Making "suay"
olavhome

Postby olavhome » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:40 pm

Plan start building shop/house for daughter/MIL mars -12. Last time in Thailand did meet 2 thai builders and this one looked the best. Had been building houses for more than 10 years in Buriram area, small ones as well as larger. He also told that his people was builders, they used other people for electric, and plumming. (He was also a kind of distant relative :wink: ) He had heard in advance about our plans, so he had brought a complete set of drawings.
After a few changes the directly involved people (Wife, daughter MIL) seemed happy.
Personally I like have living room with windows, but that didnt seem to be very important. Also i did point out that driveway into garage had not a good access. Drawings show a sloope about 50cm, but i have asket if lower the garage floor it will be more easy to drive car inside. Then can put 3 steps at the door inside garage to get indoor level. Hopefully they will agree with me before it is to late :idea: .
Otherwise it seems ok. One one floor, and total area included shop, garage and living area is about 156m2. Price THB 1.150.000,- include water, electric (in cable to the house, but not internet) and ceramics on floor. We have to pay extra for doors (in and outside) kitchen and toilet.
My wife is building this house with her own money. She stay in Norway with me and "save maak maak". She have a savings account where (she tells me) "money cant be withdrawn" :wink: .
But Im impressed, she has been working hard in a place for retarded people, a fish factory, and also together with another Thai lady selling Thai food take-away. Have now been saving about THB 800.000 within a year, so thing budget will be ok until March when starting the build.
Builder say process will take about 3-4 months. We plan to stay in the beginning, myself only holiday max 4 weeks but my wife maybe a little longer.
Since she has been working hard for the money I guess they will all have close cost/quality control.
(But I have promised daughter parket instead of tiles on her bedroom floor :wink: and will also get asfalt between house and road)

I will pay when we make our own house later, plan a house for about 110m2 but "falang quality".
The builder know about that, so hopefully that also will help for quality work on first house.

9fDSCF2985.JPG
Overall plan. Shop left, Garage right, entrance to house in medium.
07DSCF2991.JPG
Front toward road/obator. Shop to left and garage to right. I would like to take down floor in garage to close ground level and have steps in back garage.
9bDSCF2993.JPG
Side of bulding coming towards where we plan make house: Distance to our perimeter wall about 3 meter.
6dDSCF2994.JPG
66DSCF2992.JPG
Back of house with kitchen. Plan med sitting place in close connection to back endtrance where can eat etc.
olavhome

Postby geordie » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:26 pm

olavhome wrote:
geordie wrote:Being useless with computer save drag reopen resize blah blah blah

Thanks, I try that. Was afraid I had to use only my mobile and take photoes when I go for holiday nd october :?

give it a try now any camera picture will do it does not work on windows 7 as i have found out so now i have to use my old laptop if i want to load pictures
geordie

Postby olavhome » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:37 pm

Made some (hopefully) improvements to the plans.
1. Drive directly into garage and have 3 steps inside by the internal door into the living room. Think access for car will be more easy :) .
2.Made shop area a litte larger on expence of living room. Guess living room not so important, sit outside in evenings in the back.
3. Made 4 meter roofed terrace in the back. Can have outside "kitchen. Alsom slooping roof take away sunshine on bedroom in the morning.
Height of roof will be from 1.80 and up, thing that will preven me for to much "brain damage" for my 1.85 :wink:

W plan to have 3 meters between our perimeter wall and the shop/house. Planing to have a gate /entrance at this side. Door has to go in when opened, so the dogs cant run away easy :idea: . They really "take good care" and are feared in the neighbourhood :evil:
b4DSCF3024.JPG
Shop increased by 1 meter in the side to living room. Also plan have 4 meter roofed terrace in the back.
2eDSCF3026.JPG
Made roof in the back larger to cover the new terrace. Locals worry where I can sit to enjoy sunshine, but they can be sure I will fin a spot :-)
c3DSCF3032.JPG
Plan to have the terrace elevated 50 cm from dirt, so need 3 steps. Also plan roof overhang 1 meter to take away "windy rain".
cfDSCF3031.JPG
c7DSCF3029.JPG
See door for garage on level with ground. Also plan have access by door the the back close to our perimeter wall. Make cement for walk into the back and let it sloope away from house. Increase wall/land on other side to 4 meters. Colums in our perimeter wall is 2 meter, so think make more matching.
fbDSCF3033.JPG
:D
olavhome

Next

Return to Your Building Story