Laminated interior doors

Information about windows and doors.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Laminated interior doors

Postby basjke » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:15 pm

So the other day at Global House interior doors that were laminated with Oak.They were completely laminated also the top,bottom and side edges and was told that you could not cut it to size because the inside of the door was made of MDF.To proof he showed me one door that was cut at the bottom side.

The laminate was done with real Oak,I guess, and needed to be coloured.Doors looked awesome and cost 2500 Baht.They were also very heavy,I assume 20 kg or more.My question is if it could be trusted against termites and in humid areas like a bathroom.Since MDF is not really a friend of humidity,do you think the laminate will prevent it from absorbing the moisture?
basjke

Re: Laminated interior doors

Postby geordie » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:42 am

I cannot comment on the termite attack but assuming you are going to seal the doors humidity should not be too great a problem
An option would be to treat the doors to a few coats of tung oil (use the search at the top right of this page)
The oil is good as a repellant for termite,s and used to be used for chinese junks as a preservative so i am assuming pretty water resistant as well try and avoid chewing the door it can be toxic :wink: :wink:
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby gliffaes » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:20 am

I suspect they could be pre lacqured at the factory when made???
gliffaes

Postby basjke » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:37 am

The doors have no laquer applied from the factory.
basjke

Postby gliffaes » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:07 pm

you could get them sprayed, id be careful of ANY water on them at all especially door bottoms.
gliffaes

Postby basjke » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:07 pm

gliffaes wrote:you could get them sprayed, id be careful of ANY water on them at all especially door bottoms.

That was actually my question.The doors are veneered ( I think that is the correct word) at the bottom,top and sides as well.Other doors I have seen are not and I would never consider them.It is only because these are veneered on top and under the bottom that I would like to find out if they would be suitable for a bahtroom.
basjke

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:46 am

basje,
In answer to your question about using the MDF laminated doors for the bathroom, the answer is you can.......but don't. All it takes is a worn patch, scrape or crack in the veneer and the moisture will find a way in and bulge the door.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Jingler » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:35 am

As it sounds you are sealing the doors I would not think the humidity would be an issue. You can never be too careful. My builder has also mentioned tung oil to me so that could be good against any termites. I usually take all precautions on projects like these as it is always more difficult to fix than it is to prevent. Go with what the local builders say though IMO. They have lived in the environment so know best.
Jingler

Postby elgato » Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:50 am

Unless the door is a very loose fit, i.e. doesn't rub ANYWHERE in the frame, it might be ok for a bathroom. Otherwise, for reasons like Roger mentioned, the finish will rub off and moisture will swell your door creating more problems.

Don't use for the bathroom, IMO.
I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.
elgato

Return to windows and doors