motosai

Observations, thoughts and your stories about living in Thailand, share them here. 'My life in Thailand' or 'Observations on Living in Thailand'.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Re: motosai

Postby fredlk » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:29 pm

geordie wrote:now you own one will you learn to ride ??

In the mid-nineties I took lessons as I decided I needed a bike, a big one, to get around Dutch traffic jams. During lesson number 6 or 7 I was cruising along the motorway at about 120 (kph) or so when it dawned on me how vulnerable I was. I parked it and never rode a bike again. I'm scared of the things because they only have 2 wheels.
geordie wrote:Make it policy on sat morning the bike is washed and give it an inspection

I'm not the bossy type. If you like, when you visit, if it's dirty you can tell them you think so. Okay? :lol:
geordie wrote:i bought my niece here a scooter new £1500 insurance £500 helmet ect £200 compulsory training and licence £100 within a month it was bumped knocked chipped and bruised

To my mind she seems to need quite a bit more discipline than just lessons in how to take care of a scooter. :D
fredlk

Postby geordie » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:13 pm

fred it was 160 mph that slowed me down the damm thing did it so easily and so comfortable but it ocurred to me that at that speed hitting a car travelling in front of me at 80 mph was the equivilant of me hitting a stationary car at 80 mph it would take the emergency services a couple of days to find the bits and most of me would need to be washed out of the road so i happily sold the only bike i ever owned with a fairing and returned to custom bikes and cafe racers but even now i cannot ride a big bike easily (it hurts) i still have a 125 for nipping out to the town both there and here its so much easier to park (abandon) that it actually make,s a trip out feasable where normally trafic & parking would make it impossible so it does get you out more and you see a lot more around you from a bike than you do from a car
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby fredlk » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:50 pm

geordie wrote:it does get you out more and you see a lot more around you from a bike than you do from a car

And I'm sure it gives you sunstroke too. I would want one with air-conditioning. :D

Anyway, I lied. I just bought a Honda Scoopyi. My nephew was convinced it was better than the Suzuki and it was a little cheaper at 43,900 Baht,
but I didn't like the blue and yellow colour so the clever saleslady showed me one in white and it was a deal. It can be collected tomorrow at 8 a.m.
IMG_0091.jpg

IMG_0089.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fredlk

Postby geordie » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:23 pm

Not a bad buy fred 8) listen unless you are kitted up with full safety togs how much air do you want ? :lol: :lol: ok its warm but it definately feels cooler with a 20mph wind as you trundle along the couple may be disapointed with the carrying capacity you can squeeze 5=6 on the normal step thru also the wheels are a lot bigger for rough road conditions which is better than european specs the headlight seems low enogh to miss the basket :) and white will show every mark so you will spot any abuse easily :evil: :evil:
geordie

Postby fredlk » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:36 am

geordie wrote:the couple may be disapointed with the carrying capacity

It has a big foot-well and there are no baskets or racks for it. There are saddle bags but they are leather and too small and so I won't get them. The little bit Nong and Pet eat should fit easily enough between them in a few carrier bags. I've seen lesser bikes with more people plus animals and 25-litre water bottles being carried so that too is possible.
It's just the 2 of them and the daughter is small if and when she visits.

For a different topic is that Song (Gromit) now wears a collar and I've been practising walkies-with-a-lead in preparation for her visit to the vet for sterilisation this week.
fredlk

Postby geordie » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:04 am

you know its for her own good i know its for her own good but does she know its for her own good better get her a couple of treats for later fred my lot know and hate the vets getting cranky soon as they get in the place
geordie

Postby fredlk » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:54 am

After all this talk of cleaning and nieces, I have to report that after each trip out the motorbike gets cleaned with a damp cloth.
Then it goes under its cover until the next trip. That is not my doing, but the natural instinct of the custodians. :wink:
fredlk

Postby geordie » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:07 am

Briliant and a first a Thai with respect for the property of others (these two might work out fred )
geordie

Postby fredlk » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:28 am

geordie wrote:(these two might work out fred )

I think so too. Now only to find some good workmen to get this house finished and to the standard we all want. :lol:
I've heard from Num the builder that hens' teeth are more plentiful at the moment.
fredlk

Postby Maseratimartin » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:44 am

Nice motosai...

I agree with you Fred that a motosai is not really a safe place with so many thais on the road in Thailand... :wink:

But I tell you where I love the motosai...before our lovely daughter was born my wife and me always took the mud roads through the rice feelds to come to the next town (Kaochakhan) and it was great...better than with the pick up on the road.
Unfortunately the motosai was already overload with my wife and me...she has only 49kg...how this can be?...so to make the trip now also in thai style...the whole family ...is not really possible... :mrgreen:

Does somebody has an idea of where to get Quads?
Then a small hanger...not for the family...for shopping!

Damn I really have to get my garage done. As I work in Hong Kong I need a safe place to look the things up. My wifes family are nice people, but no sence for value and run it till it stops...
Maseratimartin

Postby BKKBILL » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:58 am

geordie wrote:Briliant and a first a Thai with respect for the property of others

No geordie not a first, many have consideration for not only their own property but others. There are readers that have never been here but are thinking about it so lets not get to flippant.

Most Thai's that work part time is construction are now busy planting paddies making for a limited pool of labour to draw from. Rice planting should be completed by the end of the month.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby fredlk » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:20 am

Maseratimartin wrote:Does somebody has an idea of where to get Quads?

I've seen them around here and in Pattaya so they must be for sale. In Europe they are not legal, but here I suppose they are.
I would like one, but only if they have one with a roof to keep my head from getting burnt. :lol:
fredlk

Postby BKKBILL » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:07 am

BKKBILL

Postby geordie » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:32 pm

BKKBILL wrote:No geordie not a first, many have consideration for not only their own property but others. There are readers that have never been here but are thinking about it so lets not get to flippant.
Bill i was not being flipant merely a statement of fact based on my experience with the wife,s family over ten year of abuse so far two motorbike,s a scooter and a car? Now the vehichles are left in BKK between visits and the keys are in uk The last Bike cost around £250 / 12500bht to repair i put it in the shop and said make new
they did :D and yes it would have been cheaper to part ex but why?? it was left with 700 km on the clock i returned to 8500km and not a straight panel/pedal/or lever on it i had left specific instructions do not use my bike but use the wife,s bike (she wanted to replace it anyway) ohh the excuse was her bike would not start ? and the buffalo did the damage to my bike?? but they could not explain who gave the buffalo the keys I simply stopped the repair bill out of mum in laws alowance which did not go down well but enough is enough the wife did not get her new bike and i gave the old one to her brother in bkk then here in the uk we had our Thai neice with us for four years she treats stuff the same??? so what conclusion do i draw from the admittedly limited experience i have had
geordie

Postby BKKBILL » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:07 pm

Geordie the comment you made was

“:Briliant and a first a Thai with respect for the property of others”

Now it is your wife's family not all Thai’s. Quite a different kettle of fish IMHO.

Just get tired of posters coming here for a limited time and think Thai bashing is fair game.

All I’m saying is not all Thai’s are like your in-laws. :roll:
BKKBILL

PreviousNext

Return to Life in Thailand