animal life at my house in Sattahip

Observations, thoughts and your stories about living in Thailand, share them here. 'My life in Thailand' or 'Observations on Living in Thailand'.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

animal life at my house in Sattahip

Postby fredlk » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:28 am

Tree frogs have adopted this house as home. After the one left my dressing-room to lay eggs in a Lotus plant pot last night, this morning she wanted to go back to her room:
IMG_3835.JPG

I decided I needed to block her pathway with makeshift curtains. She was not happy:
IMG_3833.JPG

fredlk wrote:Song (Gromit) now wears a collar and I've been practising walkies-with-a-lead in preparation for her visit to the vet for sterilisation this week.

geordie wrote:you know its for her own good i know its for her own good but does she know its for her own good better get her a couple of treats for later fred my lot know and hate the vets getting cranky soon as they get in the place

I went to a pet shop yesterday to buy a collar and a leash and the 2 sweet ladies are onto getting us 2 Jack Russells. They know of a farm in Rayong as well as one in Pattaya. There I bought Song a fake chewy bone, but as with all things, due to her maltreatment as a puppy she takes everything and hides it. I've stopped her taking shoes and sandals, washing-up sponges and t-shirts, but this bone she took and hid most probably somewhere under the house.
Here she is with new collar - the red they had was too small - on the white brick road Nong and Pet have created as a pathway to their now rebuilt home:
IMG_3837.JPG

IMG_3838.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fredlk

Re: animal life at my house in Sattahip

Postby otis-a » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:15 am

cool dog.
I understand that native thai dogs are naturals at killing snakes. Jon related how his dogs double team snakes - one distracts while other moves in to bite neck. Fortunately they just hunt snakes around their home patch. Likely to protect their boss..
where to park dog when in town? A barking lot... :-)))
otis-a

Postby fredlk » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:31 am

otis-a wrote:cool dog.
I understand that native thai dogs are naturals at killing snakes. Jon related how his dogs double team snakes - one distracts while other moves in to bite neck. Fortunately they just hunt snakes around their home patch. Likely to protect their boss..

Yeah, she's really nice. And she loves me to bits ..... because she gets a can of dog food from me. :D
Jack Russells are good snake hunters. This dog goes after small lizards and tiny grasshoppers for fun. In that way she's more like a cat.
And she barks at the policemen when they come to sign the book in the red box. She's scared of most people, but doesn't like the Police.
fredlk

Postby geordie » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:14 pm

Barks at policemen ??? to easy
I was fixing a camera at 3pm outside a station in kent where the taxis que when a fox appeared it watched the taxis and went across to them putting two feet on the door and looking at the drivers scrounging food this went on for about 30 mins
as it would check out a few cars and retire to a safe distance if it had been succesful then a police car appeared parking between the taxis the fox disapeared
only to reapear when the police drove off doing the exact same thing when the police reapeared the fox bolted into hiding again ? coincidence ? some dumb animals are not as dumb as we think
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby fredlk » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:18 pm

Everything's happening far too quickly. The ladies from the pet shop phoned just now and said that I can come and collect my Jack Russell puppies this evening. :shock: :D
A male and a female from different families, about 50 days old, no pedigree, a thoroughbred father, short-haired, short-legged and the male is white, brown and black.
It sounds too good to be true and so I'm a little wary. 6,000 Baht for the one and 7,500 Baht for the other. We'll see this evening. (I'm running out of money. :oops: )
fredlk

Postby geordie » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:12 pm

damm it lost the post :evil: my fault this time new keyboard ? hit wrong key

Fred as you know i have five jacks and wish to congratulate you on getting a couple The reason i have five is i could not bring myself to get rid of them :(
Any way the one pup i did rehome was thoroughly vetted a freind of mine who had a jack for 18 years but his son was having this one and it was a great choice we saw him a few days ago and he is as well balanced as my lot (a nut case) but the strange thing is his habbits are a duplicate of his brothers his likes are the same his dislikes are the same he is now a year old and has lived with bradley and family for 9 months so the similar behavior pattern (identical) came as a suprise
because no two others are the same in fact they are like children each with their own character

Tell the shop you will have the dogs but not untill they are three month old you want them to stay with their parents untill then This will allow the dogs to learn a lot of survival skills and behavior patterns some may not be good you have to take a chance on that even agree you will supply food for the dogs untill they are ready to leave their parents That is what Bradley did with me Dave his father telephoned The batersea Dogs Home and spoke with an animal phycologist who recommended the 3 month period as being optimum for the puppy although most breeders will try to get rid of them at six weeks its not so good for the dog and make,s it harder for you to train him/her
During the transition we had brad visit with wife and son making a fuss specifically
of him and a couple of days before he left us an old t shirt of brads was put overnight in his sons bed then brought over here for the pup to sleep on also when he left he took his mums blanket with him and his favourite toys He settled imediatly with brad no pining no upsets at all i think i was most upset at losing one of my kids? But the interesting thing is the character similarities between him and his brother A lot more dificult over there you could not replicate the effort we went to but you could give them the chance to learn needed skills Give them a deposit and tell them to wait a few more weeks better for your finances and a lot better for the dogs Hopefully gromet will take to them ok and not getmoody/teritorial with them other than she will probably adopt them as her own
or give them a beating to show who is boss :D but she will pay when they are older
they have great memories and will work as a pack so in six to eight months the pups will be the boss try and get some pictures up :D
geordie

Postby fredlk » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:32 pm

geordie wrote:Tell the shop you will have the dogs but not untill they are three month old you want them to stay with their parents untill then

I made the mistake of saying I wanted puppies "no younger than 6 weeks" and so, wishing to earn money, they are of course pushing these dogs. They might be 8 weeks, but I'm being told 7 weeks old. I'll have to have a good look at them. The training will be difficult I know as I've never had dogs and even training the one we have now is not easy.
geordie wrote: Hopefully gromet will take to them ok and not get moody/teritorial with them other than she will probably adopt them as her own

Gromit / Song has been spoiled a little today in preparation for the possible arrival of the puppies. The way she is I know she'll want to mother them, but I'll keep a close eye.
The general discipline will be a problem, but without a special Jack Russell bootcamp I think they will end up being wilful, naughty dogs and that's okay with me. I want them to keep their personality and not be too servile. Song will do anything to please me and I know it's what dogs do, but it doesn't make me especially happy seeing her grovel.
fredlk

Postby fredlk » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:43 pm

Meet Eddy and Patsy.
Eddy is male and was born 17th May which makes him 6 and a half weeks old.
Patsy is female and was born 20th May which makes her 6 weeks old.
To me they seem a little younger, but try and argue with a Thai who is selling you something.
Anyway, they're so cute I couldn't refuse. The problem is though that Eddy keeps wanting to have sex with Patsy and I think she's still missing her mommy.
Song barked, growled, sniffed but I didn't let them get too close in case Song bit one of them.

Eddy:
IMG_3862.JPG

Patsy:
IMG_3864.JPG

It was an exhausting first hour:
IMG_3869.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fredlk

Postby geordie » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:45 pm

Thanks fred beautiful littles things they are your best bet is get song to look after them asap she will teach them to behave and forage ? Don,t not worry about the humping he cannot do any damage :) :) she will get the "hump " with him doing it and likely return the service in between boxing each other
They look like they are indoors fred ?? if you are having them as YARD DOGS they
need to be put outside now harsh as it seems tell the couple to take them down to the cottage at night until a little house can be built specifically for them over here you can buy puppy milk which at that age we gave ours only about 3 eggcups full each per day just to boost them ; in fact i think the mum stole more of it :?
I would leave songs op a little while longer untill her maternal instincts kick in and get them together as soon as possible or she will feel ousted especially if they are living in the house and she is outside it would be highly unusual for her to do any damage to them although a show of force is on the cards with a lot of noise to let the pups know who is boss Things will reverse :lol: quickly when they get to know each other and you have daily free for alls with the pups attacking her it will make her more social as well and less scared to be around people when she realises she has freinds to back her up i really am chuffed fred you have two dependants for 14-18 years well actually three :oops: :wink:
geordie

Postby fredlk » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:09 pm

It's difficult typing with a dog sleeping on my lap and in my arm. Eddy doesn't want to leave my side now while poor Patsy is trying to catch up on lost sleep in the bed I bought them. Eddy's eaten, drank and shat and Patsy's only had a few gulps of water. I'll buy puppy milk tomorrow.
geordie wrote:your best bet is get song to look after them asap she will teach them to behave and forage

I plan to do that. I allowed them to sniff each other, but when Song growled I pulled her away. I am giving her a lot of attention to let her know she's still the boss.
geordie wrote:They look like they are indoors fred ?? if you are having them as YARD DOGS

No I've decided that these dogs are allowed indoors and while Song never comes inside if she comes in with them later on then it's okay. I can't discriminate and these 2 are too tiny to leave out in the cold and in the garden. I also don't want Pet and Nong to bring them up because as we all know the average Thai has a very different relationship to dogs than us Farang. They're so small they'll get lost in the undergrowth or taken by snakes. I really have to protect them well for a month or more.
geordie wrote:i really am chuffed fred you have two dependants for 14-18 years well actually three :oops: :wink:

Yes I know. :( And then there's the staff, the nephew, the builders and I forget who all else. At least it'll keep me off the streets. :D
IMG_3871.JPG
fredlk

Postby fredlk » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:07 am

What a night! I hardly slept. The puppies were in the entrance corridor, but didn't like to be left alone and so I let them come up onto the bed with me. There they were happy for about an hour and then they needed to pee or poop, eat or drink or play. Each one of those was done just on or just off the bed. I then managed another short nap.

By 5 a.m. Song was agitating for me to appear and so I fed her and then slowly introduced her to the puppies through the glass and then through a small gap in the glass wall. When she growled I pulled her back but within half an hour she was sniffing Eddy, licking him clean and after an hour they were playing outside on the patio together and nobody was snarling or growling. Poor Patsy was terrified of this huge dog but she was also very curious to sniff this one out and take care of her complexion. It was too much for Patsy and she wanted to escape and so I put her on top of the table with a t-shirt of mine and she's gone to sleep.

Everyone's co-habiting well so far and now I just need some help to look after them so that I can go and buy some puppy food. They've only had some dry food from me.
fredlk

Postby geordie » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:14 am

The perfect dad up all night with the kids :lol:
Allowed on the bed ? I have to fight four of the buggers to get in my bed ; The good news is the bed is always warm when i get in it not so good when we have had a hot day The youngest one known as monster dog as he is so naughty has just had his first birthday but he,s daddy,s boy will not go to sleep until i am tucked in and he has to have contact even if it,s a paw on me or his head using my leg as a pillow or back to back with me The others have a tickle and fuss then after each one has their fuss tell them go to bed and they disapear to their selected point of sleep
sam the old boy sleeps a couple of hours in the evening with me but nightime he stays downstairs on guard
Be careful fred and make sure they have no little freinds living on them we have to treat her mums dogs and even the neighbours dogs every time we go there
If the rules are to be relaxed let song into the house to take care of them she will mummy them and give you a nights sleep :) they eat and eat at that age but tiny amounts i supose out there you will have to be careful as to the other wildlife wanting to share the grub but dry food at night with a bowl of water should keep them going ok although mine prefer wet grub like chicken pork beef ?and not out of a tin either so you may have to start cooking :lol: :lol:
geordie

Postby Sunpax » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:39 am

Fred..you'r daddy now..!

on the 3 April i have pick up a baby dog from the street and to bring him home put him in my bag 20 cms x 25 hight..he was 2.5 kg and around 7 weeks old... 3 months after he is 28 kg and 65 cms tall :(

when I look at him I cannot see where is the small baby dog i bring home ..lolll.. need a lot of time and energy to teach him what are the rules at home..!....and to live together in peace and harmony with 4 cats..

I cook 1 kilos fish by day + rice + extra crokette in the morning and extra bones or whatever mamy cook for her...!

he eat almost everything ! sometimes I give him a frozen fish for his dessert..lolll He love it !

I wish I can have more time to school him but...!....
Sunpax

Postby fredlk » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:10 pm

geordie wrote:Allowed on the bed ?

I had to help them up even though it's only a mattress on the floor.
geordie wrote: make sure they have no little freinds living on them

On Monday everybody is going to see the vet. I haven't noticed fleas and their ears seem clean as well.
geordie wrote:let song into the house to take care of them she will mummy them

Yes that has already happened. I couldn't keep her out and she's fine and happy as long as she's near them and as long as we acknowledge her position. I think she's happier than ever. When Eddy did a smelly one she was even ready to clean it up but I got in there first. They're too small to use the 3 stairs and so they're going to have to do their business on the patio for now. And we don't have any newspaper left.
geordie wrote:they eat and eat at that age but tiny amounts

So far Eddy has eaten a lot of the dry stuff and Patsy has eaten a tiny amount. She was watching him how to do it and the same with water. She enjoyed some milk on the finger this morning and then drank it herself. Since about 8 they've been sleeping and I have special puppy tinned food ready for them. I will give them 3 meals a day and dry food will be available all the time. The only problem is keeping Song out of their food. Having been brought up on scraps of rice and frogs she might have caught, she wolfs down anything she finds.
geordie wrote:mine prefer wet grub like chicken pork beef ?and not out of a tin either so you may have to start cooking

That is an impossibility and so it's tins or what the housekeeper can come up with.
Sunpax wrote:..you'r daddy now..!

I never wanted children, but I suppose I've gone straight into being a grandfather.
Sunpax wrote:on the 3 April i have pick up a baby dog from the street and to bring him home put him in my bag 20 cms x 25 hight..he was 2.5 kg and around 7 weeks old... 3 months after he is 28 kg and 65 cms tall

Seems like our Song. We farang cannot help but feel sorry for all the soi dogs. The Thai think we're crazy.
Sunpax wrote:I cook 1 kilos fish by day + rice + extra crokette in the morning and extra bones or whatever mamy cook for her...!

Maybe I will have to order food from you. You can send it by EMS. :lol:
fredlk

Postby otis-a » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:54 pm

good on u dog story. Think u will find em pretty easy to house train. Once they know ur hse = they hse is very simple: dog's #1 rule - never poo in u own house. They usually will wimper or lick u face or stand by door to inform u of the appointed time. Is much quicker process if u take them on regular walkabouts on u land. There they gladly mark their territory to warn other dogs no-go.
where to park dog when in town? A barking lot... :-)))
otis-a

Next

Return to Life in Thailand