motosai

Observations, thoughts and your stories about living in Thailand, share them here. 'My life in Thailand' or 'Observations on Living in Thailand'.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

motosai

Postby fredlk » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:39 pm

I know nothing about motorbikes and they scare me, but for the new staff I need to buy one so that they can at least go down to the shops or market if they want. I can't expect them to walk the 2 kilometres there and then back up the hill and so I will buy a new motorbike. Used might give too many problems and I think there are motorbikes from 20,000 or 25,000 Baht on up. Correct me if I'm wrong. I think I once saw one at Carrefour for 18,000 Baht.

If anyone can help with advice on what not to buy or what to do and how cheap, expensive, etc. I would appreciate the information. I would like an automatic as it's easier for everybody and I will be buying 2 helmets in their size to go with the bike. No helmets, no keys. :D
I would prefer to buy a pickup, but on that I want to spend at least 300,000 Baht and so that will have to wait a while because the building gets priority.
fredlk

Re: motosai

Postby otis-a » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:56 pm

water cooled & 125cc or +cc
air cooled burn out too fast & <125cc no power
brand up to u any major they all seem same 2me
jan got a suzy for 13k tb repo'd @ 2k km
new as u say 4price
his repo came outa bkk so no prob 4u
where to park dog when in town? A barking lot... :-)))
otis-a

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:29 pm

Fred,
Suzuki 350 RM should do the trick quite nicely for the hills and off-road... just joking.
Go for a secondhand one at the bike shop, or if you wanted to be green, get a battery powered scooter for 8,000 baht, but I wouldn't recommend that really. They come in all shapes, sizes and price Fred, why not ask your couple what they would like and give them a price range instead of picking it for them?
Roger Ramjet

Postby fredlk » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:45 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:why not ask your couple what they would like and give them a price range instead of picking it for them?

2 reasons:
1. They've most probably never bought anything new in their lives let alone a motorbike. The very idea would be far too overwhelming;
2. They might not last very long with me, but the motorbike has to and to be there if / when the next couple arrives as their replacement.
fredlk

Postby geordie » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:19 pm

fred i agree with otis on a water cooled 125 that few cc extra is a bonus over the 110 and make sure electric start disc brakes for the ladies it will start quick and stop quick rodgers idea would be good other than they may get the impression its their bike realistically could they make do with an old push bike for now ??? untill you are happy you have the right couple
a couple of kilometers is no big deal really oops suzuki 1st choice honda a close 2nd much the same bike parts the same price equally reliable
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby fredlk » Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:33 am

geordie wrote:fred i agree with otis on a water cooled 125 that few cc extra is a bonus over the 110 and make sure electric start disc brakes .........
....... could they make do with an old push bike for now ??? ...........
....... oops suzuki 1st choice honda a close 2nd

Suzuki or Honda, 125, automatic, water-cooled, key-start, disc brakes is all on my list now. The push bike downhill is okay, but I remember how useless my own bike became when going back home again up the mountain and it became just an extra thing to lug along. I soon dumped it and stole my mother's car. You can't cycle with shopping and maybe a child almost 2 kilometres uphill.
fredlk

Postby geordie » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:35 am

Fredic you are too soft you have to remember they are a lot tougher than we are (age helps)
and they are used to walking lugging stuff around the last time i road a pushbike was probably twenty years ago and it had about twenty gears ? it makes a difference going up hill thats for sure and a child on there is no problem at the mum in laws a lot of the women use them and they have a small seat for the child and a basket + a rack on the back for shopping
the thai habbit of shopping fresh daily will work in your favour there not too much at one time of course if you send them to jon tien for a takeaway pizza it gonna be cold :roll:
geordie

Postby fredlk » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:52 am

geordie wrote:it had about twenty gears ? it makes a difference going up hill thats for sure and a child on there is no problem at the mum in laws a lot of the women use them

Okay, I'll buy a bike from Lotus - I think they're about 2,000 Baht - and when you visit you will use it to get me something from the 7/11 at the bottom of the hill.
If you arrive back alive or at all I will sell the motorbike and tell the staff to use the bicycle. And no excuses now. :D
fredlk

Postby geordie » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:12 pm

Harsh fred very harsh would you ask a blind man to read you a bedtime story ? a deaf man to listen for the phone

last time i checked to ride a bike your legs need to work :cry: :cry:

fredlk wrote: and when you visit you will use it to get me something from the 7/11 at the bottom of the hill.
If you arrive back alive or at all I will sell the motorbike and tell the staff to use the bicycle. And no excuses now. :D

Maybe we should move this to the discrimination topic????????
geordie

Postby pattayapope » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:29 pm

Fred

Before you buy anything I would wait to see how they are, it's a simple fact that no one looks after other peoples property. Although my area is basicly flat I bought my worker a mountain bike (6500 baht) for use as a run about. If you decide to buy one then make sure they know it belongs to you and it is kept at your place and locked up with a chain otherwise it will be gone. Before I got rid of the gardener Iasked him to go and buy a wheel for the strimer, the shop round the corner has them (less than 1 klm away) anyway about two hours later he came back with one and said he had to go a long way so borrowed his friends motor bike and put 100 baht worth of petrol in it[*] :lol:
pattayapope

Postby fredlk » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:43 pm

pattayapope wrote:Before you buy anything I would wait to see how they are

They come 'recommended'. An aunt of the family has known them and worked with them for years. She gave a character reference :wink: and they were interviewed by my nephew and by his mother. Of all the people available in town this couple was chosen as the possible best. If they're no good it's all downhill from there. :lol:
pattayapope wrote:it's a simple fact that no one looks after other peoples property.

That will be one of their first tasks. To make sure that the land never has a piece of paper or plastic flying about. I might, if they've nothing to do, ask them to wash cars one day and if necessary I will then ask them to wash the motorbike. They have been instructed that the only thing that matters with this Farang is his cleanliness-fetish.
pattayapope wrote:.... so borrowed his friends motor bike and put 100 baht worth of petrol in it[*] :lol:

And that's why I'm not even bothering with a bicycle. As far as petrol is concerned I might give them a small allowance per month and the rest they pay. It will be the same with electricity. Up to a certain amount free, but excessive use will be charged. I like hard and fast rules in place so that there are never any misunderstandings. They will get a contract, not necessarily to sign, in which everything is stipulated like days off, holidays, salary, pay-days, use of vehicle, etc.

...... and during their first few days we'll ask them to make themselves at home and to decorate their temporary home as they like. We're going to buy them paint if they would like to have it pink .... or white I hope.
fredlk

Postby fredlk » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:44 pm

I visited various dealers and the cheapest Honda 125 cc was 73,000 Baht.
A new Suzuki like the one below, 125 cc, automatic, disc brakes, key start, fuel injection costs 45,000 Baht and 1,000 for insurance and registration.
We'll buy one (in the same colour) tomorrow.
IMG_0087.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fredlk

Postby geordie » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:16 pm

Remember helmets and shopping basket for the front carry rack for the rear
geordie

Postby fredlk » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:24 pm

geordie wrote:Remember helmets and shopping basket for the front carry rack for the rear

The helmets I remembered and they are free. Most probably plastic. Thanks for the reminder of the rack and basket.
fredlk

Postby geordie » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:57 pm

I was suprised that all the bikes over there tend to put the basket on the front at night put anything in the basket and the headlight usually becomes useless then i was talking about the stupidity of it my wife pointed out you can watch your bag if its in front of you

Fredic now you own one will you learn to ride ??

Make it policy on sat morning the bike is washed and give it an inspection i bought my niece here a scooter new £1500 insurance £500 helmet ect £200 compulsory training and licence £100 within a month it was bumped knocked chipped and bruised I was fuming and only noticed because my wife borrowed it as her bike had a flat battery she pointed out all the damage and said she did not want to be blamed for it
when i questioned the neice i was told it did,nt matter ??? i was ever so slightly annoyed :twisted:

the reason it "did,nt matter" was she had not had to pay a penny towards it a genuine accident i could put up with but this damage was off my car bumper the gate at the side of the house the dustbins and a low garden wall she used to hit all of them riding the bike around to the rear of the house The bike was repaired and the riot act read
geordie

Next

Return to Life in Thailand