ALUMINIUM windows and doors

Information about windows and doors.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: ALUMINIUM windows

Postby tothemark » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:55 pm

Hi, can someone tell me the thickness gauges offered by the majority of aluminium self assembly frame manufacturers.

I ask because i am getting conflicting information from afar.

Definitions used standard, middle (1mm) and best(1.2mm/1.5mm)

They are trying to say that middle is 1mm, well if they are saying that what the hell is standard is there such a frame gauge below 1mm ??
tothemark

Re: ALUMINIUM windows

Postby geordie » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:28 am

tothemark wrote:is there such a frame gauge below 1mm ??

yes aluminium foil :P :P
we were only offered two they were 1.2 or 1.5 and to be honest the 1.5 even felt like it could be cut with scissors windows out there are a disapointment thats for sure we reused some of the old wooden windows and to be honest i think they were better quality i think maybe next time i may go old school and install a wooden subframe with a routered lip pretty much the same as we used to use it here ( UK) for replacement windows
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Re: ALUMINIUM windows and doors

Postby tothemark » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:56 am

Yeah, now youve worried me ! :lol: Whats below 1mm is there a thinner gauge still ? Nephew is saying that 1mm is middle quality, Personally i believe thats bullshit.
tothemark

Postby otis-a » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:38 am

hi mr mark
after doing wood 1st floor n al 2nd fl
wood seems better alternative - where possible- & really look hard to eliminate all but most difficult apps - scenery - consider large wood frame

wood caviet
some wood does not seem fully cured or water proofed
we have 2 wooden frame that bowed and not latching - no help from supplier other than offer 2 sell us new ones
wood still needs indoor alum screens n buy thickest alum u can get. We opted middle road thickness - foily like or bugger charged premium n supplied elcheepy - get sample piece for comparison
dont use simple sliding bolts - better options avail
dont accept 'wood cannot take glass' just means they no sell em but glass+wood avail
where to park dog when in town? A barking lot... :-)))
otis-a

Postby tothemark » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:00 pm

Hi Otis,

Thanks for the info, we have had wood in a rented house before in los and without maintenance they do deteriorate and i cant see anyone doing any maintenance thats for sure.
Additionally the plan specifies aluminium 2"x4" with 6mm glass, what it doesnt specify is the gauge of the aluminium, which imo is a significant oversight. My presumption was always that it would be 1.5mm, that was my first mistake..... making an assumption.

I keep getting answers back that there are three gauges .5m, 1m and 2m. Now I know that its mainly 1.2 and 1.5m out there so i could possibly assume that the middle may be 1.2m, which is what i am hoping :roll: that is now in as the bare minimum.

So if nephew is saying that he put middle one in then could it be that the lowest is 1mm, middle is 1.2mm and 1.5mm is top, or is there a gauge below 1mm ! ???

My argument is that 1mm wont carry 6mm glass without buckling, so the air is rather blue at the moment..
tothemark

Postby otis-a » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:41 pm

mr mark;
we went middle route and regret it <:o)
where to park dog when in town? A barking lot... :-)))
otis-a

Postby geordie » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:58 pm

The real anoyance is when you try and slide the window closed our bkk house is on a moo baan ? (i think 300 houses) so one contractor minimum everything closing the windows there is a joke as they slide along the ali flexes when you hit the rebate you have to flex deliberately to line the edge of the window with the slot then jiggle it to get the catch working security wise :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: you may as well leave them open you could force them with a t spoon but they look ok and you do not need maintainance?
Personally give me the wood with labour at 3-400 baht a day is maintainance really an issue
OR as i proposed earlier router a sqare wooden frame and fit the ali to it maybe keep the stuff rigid lets face it you will have to maintain/paint the security bars you will need with the ali windows :)
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby sezze » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:28 pm

The aluminium windows and doors i've seen in Thailand are all very low quality and always feel very soft ( alu foil ) . I do know that there are others around , but beside on pics i've never seen it . Wood always looks good and is always strong till they break apart ( get eaten or rot ) , and that may take ages depending on what kind of wood .
sezze

Postby thailazer » Thu Jul 07, 2011 5:52 pm

Going to try to post an image for my first time so bear with me! We went to HomePro last week and got some prices on standard windows and sliders. They seem better than average, but not super high quality. Has anyone got any experience installing and maintaining these units? The hand scribbled notes are prices as of 1 July 2011. They seem a lot better than most examples we have seen. All comments appreciated.

http://www.coolthaihouse.com/cthpics/displayimage.php?album=208&pid=4767#top_display_media
thailazer

Postby thailazer » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:44 pm

Updating my prior post.... You can multiply all the handwritten prices by 1.15 for the price increases on that product. The aluminum seems fairly thin and you can bend the doors quite easily. Has anyone got any experience with these?
thailazer

Postby BKKBILL » Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:36 pm

thailazer wrote:Updating my prior post.... You can multiply all the handwritten prices by 1.15 for the price increases on that product. The aluminum seems fairly thin and you can bend the doors quite easily. Has anyone got any experience with these?

Did you get over to the guy by Mae Malai for a quote?
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby thailazer » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:15 pm

We did and put down a deposit for our project. His quote is more expensive than Home Pro, but he has thicker glass and on-site service included. One problem with the Home Pro units is that if the opening is not true, you have to shim. With the folks you recommended, they will measure first and customize. Thanks!
thailazer

Previous

Return to windows and doors