Observations

Observations, thoughts and your stories about living in Thailand, share them here. 'My life in Thailand' or 'Observations on Living in Thailand'.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Observations

Postby MGV12 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:55 pm

We have a topic for 'Irritations' and for sure there appears to be plenty of scope there as we [hopefully] adjust to life in LOS.

Maybe we could all also benefit from a topic on observations ... not necessarily irritating but the many cultural and other differences we observe as we settle in to our new life.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Re: Observations

Postby MGV12 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:26 pm

My workers arrived this evening to continue stabilising the structure of my pond extension. viewtopic.php?f=30&t=2019 Fortunate for me that they did as not 30 mins earlier there was a storm in the air and rain beginning to fall ... yet again ... causing me to 'sheet-up' against further erosion as best I could. Ironic really that so much effort has been put into stopping water going into a hole that will eventually be required to contain water without leaking.

I had worked on and off during the day replacing the infill that had been washed away courtesy of last night's storm. All was in place ... all was level ... all was as I wanted it to be. My husband and wife team arrived ... he is certainly 'capable' but on a daily basis works at a local plant nursery. Conversations ensued but as I was home alone much was 'lost in translation' ... I retired indoors but my attention was aroused by the sounds of activities other than concrete mixing outside. He was adjusting levels where the concrete was to be poured ... why? I had already completed preparations so why did he think it appropriate or necessary to make changes? He knows I designed and engineered the house ... what would prompt him to think that changes might need to be made to a very elementary base I had prepared? Was he trying to impress me? Did he think I had not done it correctly; in his eyes? This general area is often mentioned on forums and to me is not an irritation ... more of an observation.

Be interested to hear thoughts and opinions.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby MGV12 » Mon May 09, 2011 8:20 am

Today's word is: APHORISM:

A SHORT, POINTED SENTENCE THAT EXPRESSES A WISE OR CLEVER OBSERVATION OR A GENERAL TRUTH .

1. The nicest thing about the future is . . . that it always starts tomorrow.

2. Money will buy a fine dog, but only kindness will make him wag his tail.

3. If you don't have a sense of humour, you probably don't have any sense at all.

4. Seat belts are not as confining as wheelchairs.

5. A good time to keep your mouth shut is when you're in deep water.

6. How come it takes so little time for a child who is afraid of the dark to become a teenager who wants to stay out all night?

7. Business conventions are important . . . Because they demonstrate how many people a company can operate without.

8. Why is it that at class reunions you feel younger than everyone else looks?

9. Scratch a cat . . . And you will have a permanent job.

10. No one has more driving ambition than the teenage boy who wants to buy a car.

11. There are no new sins; the old ones just get more publicity.

12. There are worse things than getting a call for a wrong number at 4 a.m. - like, it could be the right number.

13. No one ever says "It's only a game" when their team is winning. ------------------------ [Especially when it's 2-1 against Chelsea for the Premier League title :D ]

14. I've reached the age where 'happy hour' is a nap.

15. Be careful about reading the fine print. . . . There's no way you're going to like it.

16. The trouble with bucket seats is that not everybody has the same size bucket.

17. In about 40 years from now we'll have thousands of old ladies running around with tattoos in strange places? (And rap music will be the Golden Oldies!)

18. Money can't buy happiness -- but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a Cadillac than in a Yugo.

19. After 60, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you're probably dead.

20. Always be yourself because the people that matter don't mind . . . .. And the ones that mind don't matter.

21. Life isn't tied with a bow .. . . . . . . But it's still a gift.

MGV12

Postby Nawty » Mon May 09, 2011 8:44 am

When we were building a shed.....I laid out the perimeter....with stakes in the ground n string stuff...not just rocks on the ground.

They understood.

When we returned 2 days later they had moved it and had everything ready to pour. I asked why did they move it from there to here.....they said it looked better over here.

I said you think it looks better in the middle of the road.

I observed stooopidity in action....twas a timeless moment.
conwood is not real wood.....break it down 'con' to deceive...'wood'
Nawty

Postby MGV12 » Mon May 09, 2011 9:24 am

"Mathematics are well and good but nature keeps dragging us around by the nose." ~Albert Einstein

Apparently in Thailand they have a different approach to telling the story with numbers:

On a regular basis it's 60% = 100%

Sometimes it's 40% = 100%

On the odd occasion it's 20% = 100%

Even once in a while 10% can = 100%

The 60%/40%/20%/10% are the chances of rain in the Chiang Mai area as listed by the Thai Met Office on a daily forecast basis over the last few weeks

On every single day it has rained ... which according to the teaching of numbers I experienced is a 100% 'chance' of precipitation.

It can't be the Thai way of 'telling you what you want to hear' as in the so-called dry season you want to here that it's going to be dry and Sunny ...
...... especially if you are digging a pond!

MGV12

Water, water, everywhere ....

Postby MGV12 » Sat May 28, 2011 7:41 am

Maybe this guy knows something we don't ......

This is a neighbours new house ...

His land is connected to the village water supply

He had a deep well drilled below the elevated 2000 litre storage tank ... full flow ... no reason to believe it will dry up

He then had a second 50 metre + well drilled not 20 metres from the first ... visible to the right of the house

Literally 1 metre to the right is his boundary fence and 1 metre to the right of that two large stream-fed ponds which have water throughout the year. They are on his 'left over land' so he has full use of them.

This week the four large concrete ring storage tanks were constructed ... they must hold 3-4000 litres each.

He is going to grow orchids ... which need little water and has just over half a Rai of Lamyai which were thriving with just water from the sky prior to his arrival.

Now there must be a reason as a lot of money has been spent ... mustn't there?

Incidentally ... his contractor laid that large driveway. A base of stone/dirt ... not mechanically compressed ... lightweight square mesh then just 5cm's of CPAC concrete ... one piece. The very next day they were parking loaded pickup,s on it and within a couple of days a fully laden removals truck. No visible signs of cracking ......................... two months later
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MGV12

Postby otis-a » Sat May 28, 2011 8:03 am

hope his wife care full v. Careful with douch hosee

recent story goes of an ausy fellow blown up like baloon from and air hose failure when refill his tyres

another of man losing hand to pinhole leak in high pressure tanker refil line
plenty of accidents from hydrojet lances

high pressure fluids require special care to avoid undesirable results

maybe the high pressure is why he worry about running out of water?

Q: Is your water running?
A: If so u best catch it b4 it runs away
where to park dog when in town? A barking lot... :-)))
otis-a

Today's word is ......

Postby MGV12 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:01 am

Paraporsdokian

A paraprosdokian is a figure of speech in which the latter part of a sentence or phrase is surprising or unexpected in a way that causes the reader or listener to re-frame or reinterpret the first part.

It is frequently used for humorous or dramatic effect.

I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather; not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you; but it's still on the list.

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

We never really grow up; we only learn how to act in public.

War does not determine who is right, only who is left.

I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Evening news is where they begin with 'Good evening', and then proceed to tell you why it isn't.

To steal idea from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research.

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?

I thought I wanted a career; turns out I just wanted paychecks.

Whenever I fill out an application, in the part that says "In an emergency, notify:" I put " 911."

I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.

Why does someone believe you when you say there are four billion stars, but check when
you say the paint is wet?

Behind every successful man is his woman. Behind the fall of a successful man is usually another woman.

A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

Some cause happiness wherever they go, others, whenever they go.

I used to be indecisive, now I'm not sure.

I always take life with a grain of salt... plus a slice of lemon... and a shot of tequila.

You're never too old to learn something stupid.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit 'the target.'

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

MGV12

Crossing the road

Postby MGV12 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:16 am

You're driving along the road and up ahead you see a Thai pedestrian waiting to cross ... they look towards you so must see you coming ... they step off the kerb at normal walking pace but as they get halfway across they realise you are going to get to them sooner than they imagined. Do they walk faster? Do they start running? No ... they shorten their step and move their legs more quickly .. it looks like they are hurrying but in fact they don't move any quicker! Kids don't do it but adults of any age do ... not just the old.

MGV12

Re: Crossing the road

Postby fredlk » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:42 am

MGV12 wrote:Do they walk faster? Do they start running? No ... they shorten their step and move their legs more quickly ..

I don't think I've ever seen a Thai running. It's too hot here for that so maybe they never learnt how.
fredlk

Postby geordie » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:46 pm

Ever tried to run in flip flops

I have had a telling off several times (in uk ) for Thai spotting usually based on appearance then listen to speech
and after confirming it
Then i tell the wife look Thai lady i point at the feet and tell her thai lady walk same duck ! they sort of twist them sideways to stop the flip flops falling off she has met a few Thais this way but does not tell them how :lol: :lol: :lol: they were spotted
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby MGV12 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:28 am

A very good observation point has been discovered by our cat .... beware local birds/vermin/snakes:

Good hide.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MGV12

Postby MGV12 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:13 pm

I can see he'll be using that 'hide' a lot from now on .....

rat (1).JPG

... fifteen inches nose to tail. Not bad for a cat who's not much longer!

MGV12

Postby geordie » Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:46 pm

That moggy could be a good earner
I paid 100bht for two (lats) for mil ( as a wind up) she then gave them to the builder who barbied them :roll:
He took great pleasure in stabbing bits of meat and feeding me as we sat around for the usual evening beer ? If i had not found an unusual bone and then questioned a hysterical wife :lol:
i would have happily sworn it was chicken
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby elgato » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:47 pm

geordie wrote:That moggy could be a good earner
I paid 100bht for two (lats) for mil ( as a wind up) she then gave them to the builder who barbied them :roll:
He took great pleasure in stabbing bits of meat and feeding me as we sat around for the usual evening beer ? If i had not found an unusual bone and then questioned a hysterical wife :lol:
i would have happily sworn it was chicken

Geordie: Didn't I read somewhere here on CTH that you had an abundance of these? :lol:
BTW - ate 'em before and I thought it was beef! :oops:
I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.
elgato

Next

Return to Life in Thailand