Read this...! (ionization & oxidation)

Any thing to do with swimming pools, fish ponds, or other man made structures which hold water (but not wells for drinking water).

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

Read this...! (ionization & oxidation)

Postby Maseratimartin » Sat May 14, 2011 6:12 pm

After reading all the topics here I was already sure to go for a saltwater pool system, untill I read this...

http://www.ecosmarteusa.com/index.html

Anybody has experience with this kind of pool systems?
It uses UV light to clean the water...

Please feedback if any!
I will try to find out more and post it.
Maseratimartin

Re: Read this...!

Postby fredlk » Sat May 14, 2011 6:21 pm

Maseratimartin wrote:It uses UV light to clean the water...

I immediately foresee two problems:
1. the price, most likely high;
2. might not be available in Thailand and nobody here to maintain it.
fredlk

Postby Maseratimartin » Sun May 15, 2011 8:27 am

I have to revise some info...no UV light....even easier ionization & oxidation they call it....

I got already answer from the manufacturer...PM me if you want the details with costs!

The fully automated system would come close to 5000US$ and you need a supply for CO2.

After 2-4 years the copper electrodes need replacement ($175)

5 years warranty

The system is from US where they are already 15 years in business...and when you check in internet you will find a lot of good reviews!
Maseratimartin

Postby fredlk » Sun May 15, 2011 8:48 am

Maseratimartin wrote:I got already answer from the manufacturer...PM me if you want the details with costs!

You can post it here. You're not receiving a commission nor do you have shares in the company. I think it would make interesting reading for everybody here.
fredlk

Re: Read this...! (ionization & oxidation)

Postby Maseratimartin » Sun May 15, 2011 10:14 am

Here the link to a interesting pool guide:

http://www.ecosmarteusa.com/EBook.html
Maseratimartin

Postby fredlk » Sun May 15, 2011 10:29 am

From their pdf:

A few reasons the ECOsmarte Pool & Spa System is the best alternative for treating your pool or spa water.
1. Youwillsavetime&moneybynothavingtopurchaseandaddchemicalstoyourpool or spa to sanitize the water.
2. Thewaterinyourpoolorspawillnotburnyoureyes,dryoutyourskin,damageyour hair or ruin your swim wear.
3. TheECOsmartesystemsproducehighqualityfreshwaterthatwillnotbecorrosivelike salt systems. For a complete comparison of the ECOsmarte system to salt-to-chlorine generators, see page 16.
4. TheECOsmartesystemsrequireonlyafewminuteseachweektoproperlymaintainthe water quality.
5. TheECOsmartesystemonlyrequiresmostpoolpumpstobeoperated6-12hoursper day, thus saving electricity.
6. WaterqualityiseasiertomaintainusinganECOsmartepoolorspasystem, dramatically reducing the risk of algae and cloudy water.
7. ECOsmarteprovidestoll-freecustomerassistance6daysperweekat1-800-IONSWIM.
8. AllECOsmartepoolandspasystemscarryaFiveYearWarranty,includingthecell.
9. AllECOsmartepoolandspasystemsaresoldwitha60-DaySatisfactionGuarantee.
10.ECOsmarte pool and spa systems can be easily installed by the homeowner in less than one hour.
11.ECOsmarte pool and spa systems eliminate scaling and stains caused by iron and calcium in the water.
12.Swimmers will no longer need to shower or shampoo to remove chlorine or other sanitizing chemicals from their hair and skin after swimming.
13.ECOsmarte chemical-free treated pool and spa water is a far healthier alternative for you, your family and the environment than chlorine, salt and other sanitizing chemicals.
14.Competitive products only reduce the chemicals used and are often supported by startups working out of their home.

How the ECOsmarte Treatment Process Works
The ECOsmarte system creates two sanitizing agents, copper ionization and oxidation. As water flows from your pump back to your pool it travels through the ECOsmarte ionization oxidation chamber. While in the chamber, the water will either receive copper ions or become oxygenated depending on the setting of the switch on the controller.
Copper Ionization
Copper ionization was first used in 1967 by NASA in the Apollo Space Program to insure safe drinking water and to control scale in cooling systems during space missions. The ECOsmarte System incorporates this same technology. The copper ions created by the ECOsmarte System are safe and essential for humans, plants and animals, but are lethal to bacteria, algae and some viruses. By adding these ions to your pool or spa water, the ECOsmarte System basically kills bacteria, algae and certain viruses and prevents them from growing in the water.
Copper ions are only added to the water for a few hours each week in swimming pools and only a few minutes each week or month in spas. The residual sanitizer in the water, produced by the ionization process is recognized by the National Sanitation Foundation (NSF) and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.
Natural Non-Chemical Oxidation
ECOsmarte’’s proprietary non-chemical method of oxidation is what separates it from other chemical reducing water treatment systems on the market. Oxidation is achieved by water passing through the chamber while low voltage electrical current is sent to the anodized titanium plates in the chamber. While in the oxidation mode, a proprietary process of electrolysis causes the electro-physical separation of water into oxygen and hydrogen. The oxygen atoms separated in this process are responsible for removing the dead organic material and other contaminants in the water such as body oils and suntan oils.
The ECOsmarte systems produce oxidizers, measured in grams per minute, at a level not available with ozone generating systems. Additionally, each ECOsmarte oxidizer is more powerful than sodium hypochlorite, the dominant form of chlorine.
The combination of copper ionization and non-chemical oxidation produce pure, clear, and clean water not available with other water sanitizing systems.
Ionization was first developed by Honeywell in Mpls. MN for the Apollo Moon Mission in 1968.
In 1993, Minneapolis based ECOsmarte added the platinum anodes to give the oxygen output needed to eliminate chemicals.
fredlk

Postby thunder30101 » Sun May 15, 2011 5:12 pm

Some good reading for you on this system and pool maint. in general http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/po ... 20111.html
thunder30101

Postby fredlk » Sun May 15, 2011 5:43 pm

thunder30101 wrote:Some good reading for you on this system a

Interesting. It's definitely not for me ... even if they would install it free of charge.
fredlk

Postby MGV12 » Sun May 15, 2011 6:41 pm

fredlk wrote:
thunder30101 wrote:Some good reading for you on this system a

Interesting. It's definitely not for me ... even if they would install it free of charge.

Come on Fred ... study the detail as the principle [at least] is sound ...and get with the programme:
Attachments
Jsteffens2.jpg

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby thunder30101 » Sun May 15, 2011 7:21 pm

I think the technology is good for something small scale but for a pool I dont know, where you going to get parts when it breaks down ? Looking at a pool for a month while your parts are in thai customs would suck lol and the cost for approx 2-4 years before basically rebuilding seems awfully high. I also worry about any company that owns the first two pages of google when you query them, either they are very good at page ranking or there are just not that many systems like this for sale out there.
thunder30101

Postby Maseratimartin » Tue May 17, 2011 4:34 pm

Dear Fred and other who are planing to build a pool soon....what system will you use and what brand?

For info:
I'm also in contact with ZODIAC Australia for a interesting system of theirs...DuoClear!
It is a combination of saltwater chlorinator and the copper + silver ions...
Keep you guys updated as I get more info.
(their website: www.zodiac.com.au)
Maseratimartin

Postby fredlk » Tue May 17, 2011 5:16 pm

Maseratimartin wrote:....what system will you use and what brand?

On my list is a self-cleaning saltwater-chlorinator from ZODIAC. You will build your pool before me and so all your experience will help me make the final decision. :D
fredlk

Postby thunder30101 » Tue May 17, 2011 7:05 pm

Something really good for any water related company claims, click on ecosmarte category link. http://www.chem1.com/CQ/gallery.html
thunder30101

Postby Maseratimartin » Wed May 18, 2011 9:03 am

fredlk wrote:
Maseratimartin wrote:....what system will you use and what brand?

On my list is a self-cleaning saltwater-chlorinator from ZODIAC. You will build your pool before me and so all your experience will help me make the final decision. :D

Ok, updates from Zodiac...copied out of an e-mail:
If you want the better end product I'd suggest you check out the TRi - pH (please note the TRi - Pro has not been released as yet) this will monitor and maintain the pools pH level. You will need to ensure your Total Alkalinity level is at the high end of the scale prior to leaving your premises & the unit should take good care of the pool. You can then add a Nature 2 Express system to the pool to assist.

This is a similar set up to my own home pool, except I also use our pumps & filters (naturally) but I use diamond brite (Zeolite) as my filter media instead of sand as my media. This gives far superior filtering whilst adds to the removal of ammonia.

As its a skimmer pool the most convenient cleaner is a suction cleaner, as I assume the pool will be tiled with tight wall / floor corners I'd probably go for a geared cleaner such as Zodiac's Polaris ATV or the soon to be released MX-8. (I've had the test units & pre-production MX-8's in my home pool for the last 2 years, they are a good unit)

-> Short: The Zodiac TRi-Pro (with automatic ph control) system + an additional Nature 2 cartridge should be the high end solution!

There are serveral shops in Thailand.
Zodiac sales guys Shane will introduce me to a guy/shop in Bangkok when it is time for that.
Here his contact if somebody is interested:
Mr. Shane Healy
International Sales Manager
Zodiac Group Australia Pty Ltd
Ph: +61 2 8786 6800
Fax: +61 2 9757 2860
Mob: +61 (0) 418 419 843
www.zodiac.com.au
www.pq.com.au
Maseratimartin

Postby fredlk » Wed May 18, 2011 9:33 am

Maseratimartin wrote:"I use diamond brite (Zeolite) as my filter media instead of sand"

This is another item I have on my swimming-pool-todo-list, but filtering is a different subject.
fredlk

Next

Return to swimming pool