5 A/C unites to prepare!

Air conditioning, fans, and anything related to keeping it cool, such as insulation. This would include any posts generally discussing how to keep it cool, such as which types of blocks are better insulators.... ideal wall thickness for keeping an A/C house cool, etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

5 A/C unites to prepare!

Postby marko » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:32 am

I have just started the building work on a new house. (The first foundation pylons were stamped in today!)

I'll be installing 5 new A/C units before we move in but is there something(s) that I should do during the building of the house?

I don't want major problems and ugliness later!

thanks for any tips...
Attachments
001firstfoundationstone_small.jpg
marko

Re: 5 A/C unites to prepare!

Postby fredlk » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:41 am

marko wrote:is there something(s) that I should do during the building of the house?

My own house is nearing completion without any sign of the air-conditioning apart from the electric wires which I see appearing at the position I said I wanted the wall-units.
Also in my head I know where I want the compressors to be placed. Most of the time it's an after-build installation unless you're having ducts in the ceilings.
fredlk

Postby marko » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:31 am

Thanks for your reply. Yes - these will be straightforward distributor/compressor duos.

The house I live in now has ugly switches and cables running up the walls... I want to avoid that. With the new A/C units available I don't think this will be a factor.

There is nothing complicated or unusual about the house I'm building and all the compressors will be located very close to the inside blowers.

Should I get special wiring for the Fuse box in the kitchen?
Should I raise the platforms a few inches outside the house where the compressors will be situated?

Should I just wait till the house is finished and then get the installation chaps to sort out all the logistics? :wink:
marko

Postby fredlk » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:40 am

marko wrote:Should I get special wiring for the Fuse box in the kitchen?

I should think that a good electrician will know the answer to that one. I know that air-conditioning is usually on a separate circuit.
marko wrote:Should I raise the platforms a few inches outside the house where the compressors will be situated?

The compressors should have good air-flow around them and not be too close to the soffits otherwise the hot air will rise up and go into your vented roof.
marko wrote:Should I just wait till the house is finished and then get the installation chaps to sort out all the logistics?

Yes that is a good idea.
fredlk

Postby pattayapope » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:01 am

I had the piping and electrics done before the walls were rendered so they are buried in the walls and look realy neat. You need one circuit for each system and the breaker should be sized to suit the required current, typically 2.5 mm cable will do. I would go and see your AC man and tell him what you need and arrange that he comes out before your builder starts the rendering. Around here they generally charge about 3,500 baht per installation so you should not pay more than this for them to fit the piping then come back later to fit the units. Normally the power supply goes to the the blower unit but on my 22,000 btu unit it goes to the condenser so better check with your AC man were he needs the power. All my AC units are mounted on wall brackets about a foot above the ground as I have a flower border around the sides and back of my house.

AC piping and electrical.jpg
AC piping and electrical supply preinstalled before rendering

AC unit mounted on wall.jpg
AC condenser unit mounted on exterior wall
pattayapope

Postby MGV12 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:06 pm

pattayapope wrote:Around here they generally charge about 3,500 baht per installation

An example of the premium you pay for living in Pattaya .... my sparkie had the necessary gear and charged 1000 Baht all in .... location certainly makes a difference.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:14 pm

If you buy the units at our corner shop in Pak Kret, the installation is free.
Roger Ramjet

Postby geordie » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:10 am

I personally would like to have the luxury of worrying about my aircon when the piles are still being hammered in
Its a bit like getting coulor charts out and looking at the drawings to decide what room coulors you are going to have
Good luck with the build Marko any drawings or mor pictures how long do you anticipate to finish
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby BKKBILL » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:53 am

geordie wrote:I personally would like to have the luxury of worrying about my aircon when the piles are still being hammered in
Its a bit like getting coulor charts out and looking at the drawings to decide what room coulors you are going to have
Good luck with the build Marko any drawings or mor pictures how long do you anticipate to finish

This sounds interesting if someone could translate I will know for sure. :roll: :roll:
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby geordie » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:23 pm

alright medicated again :oops: :oops:
the point i was trying to make was most people at this stage
marko wrote:I have just started the building work on a new house. (The first foundation pylons were stamped in today!)

I'll be installing 5 new A/C units before we move in but is there something(s) that I should do during the building of the house?

thanks for any tips...

would have more serious concerns than where to put the aircon units and cabeling

My comparison was sitting with the house plan and deciding colours for each room
both vital tasks but a bit premature
geordie

Postby BKKBILL » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:04 pm

geordie wrote:alright medicated again :oops: :oops:
the point i was trying to make was most people at this stage
marko wrote:I have just started the building work on a new house. (The first foundation pylons were stamped in today!)

thanks for any tips...

would have more serious concerns than where to put the aircon units and cabeling

My comparison was sitting with the house plan and deciding colours for each room
both vital tasks but a bit premature

Did know what you meant geordie but if I don't give you a hard time and check you up who will. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Maybe he didn't want a repeat of what max went through not installing the piping and electrical at the rough-in stage.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby geordie » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:28 pm

so true

BKKBILL wrote:
Did know what you meant geordie but if I don't give you a hard time and check you up who will. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Maybe he didn't want a repeat of what max went through not installing the piping and e lectrical at the rough-in stage.

what max suffered was beyond beleif surely it could not happen a second time??????
geordie

Postby MGV12 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:03 pm

geordie wrote:so true

BKKBILL wrote:

Maybe he didn't want a repeat of what max went through not installing the piping and e lectrical at the rough-in stage.

what max suffered was beyond beleif surely it could not happen a second time??????

No doubt about that geordie ... forewarned is forearmed.

Marko ... make sure they run a conduit in for an adjacent electric supply to the internal position and also a good idea to have a hole punched in the wall for the pipework and electrics to run to the compressor outside; location of that doesn't matter at this stage. If the installers are required to do this work after the render it is entirely possible that you could end up with the mess that Max was subjected to: See viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1970&p=21385&hilit=aircon#p21385

Good luck with your build ... keep us posted

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby marko » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:25 pm

Thanks for all the replies... In some cases they have been invaluable and I'll be working on getting the installer out to see what needs to be done as early as possible...

I'll furnish more details and information as I get it.

Marko
marko

Postby marko » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:14 pm

Here is a plan of the house along with where the A/Cs and compressors will be housed...

It turns out that the electrician and builder will work together to make sure that everything will go smoothly!

So - fingers crossed!
Attachments
floorplan_final_2_AIRCON_SPECS_small.jpg
A/C placement details...
marko

Next

Return to cooling systems