New Door Frames With Construction Adhesive?

Information about windows and doors.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

New Door Frames With Construction Adhesive?

Postby old_expat » Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:59 pm

The house we recently bought has significant door issues. All (3) the interior doors are hung 180 degrees off. i.e., they all open into the main room .. and in 2 cases block access to other rooms when standing open.

The house was obviously laid out for the doors to swing inside, evidenced by the positions of light switches.

I have talked to a number of local handymen who suggest the only option is to break away the masonry around the frames. I REALLY don't like that option.

One original thought was to router out the frame to rehang the doors, but I wonder if that is doable (those nasty corners) .. and besides, some of the frames have termite damage.

So I am wondering about the effectiveness of removing the frames with some tedious sawing, splitting with a wood chisel, and cursing a lot .. then putting in new frames using anchors and construction adhesive. Some of the locals tell me this won't work.

Any suggestions appreciated.
old_expat

Re: New Door Frames With Construction Adhesive?

Postby BKKBILL » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:07 pm

Removing door frames is a fairly troublesome job. You may want to consider adding another strip of wood say 2x4 CM around the frame set in the thickness on your door then rehang the door so it swings the other way. Hope that make sense. If not I could draw a picture.

The router idea also works you just have to chisel at the corners and bottom.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby geordie » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:45 pm

its dependant on what you have to anchor into in the uk we always retrofit doors/frames/windows
to remove the old cut the frame across several times as they use nails to retain the frame
this will allow you to snap short sections of the old frame out then you will probably have to
grind the protruding nails left hanging out of the wall then use no nails??? and some anchors to fit the new do a search on chemfix if the blockwork is the small concrete you will need some
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby Makmak456 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:23 am

Did you rehang the doors ??
If so, how did it go ??
T I A
mark
Makmak456

Postby old_expat » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:32 pm

When we decided to sell the house, it needed a complete paint job inside and out. One of the guys was a pretty good craftsman so he put in some wood strips (very much as BKKBILLdescribed above) , planed down one existing door, reworked three hollow- core doors and rehung them. Made tons more visual space in the main room, and the light switch is now on the correct side of the door.

They did some roof repair, some woodwork around the eaves, scraped and repainted 3 coats outside, 2 coats inside, built the wife an orchid 'nursery' with the bamboo scaffolding.

Very nice job, completely cleaned up after the job. Got no paint on driveway or terrace. All in, about Bt 100,000.
old_expat

Return to windows and doors