shutters

Information about windows and doors.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

shutters

Postby fredlk » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:00 pm

I mentioned yesterday that I really like shutters on windows especially this type that slide:

non adjustable.jpg
non adjustable.jpg (80.17 KiB) Viewed 2313 times

SlidingShutters1.jpg
SlidingShutters1.jpg (57.85 KiB) Viewed 2313 times

Haf_08.jpg
Haf_08.jpg (12.57 KiB) Viewed 2313 times

Why are they seen so often in the Mediterranean countries and in South Africa, but not much in the tropics?
I would have liked to incorporate them in the house somehow but nowhere did we have enough wall left to slide them open and out of the way.
What are your thoughts?
fredlk

Re: shutters

Postby geordie » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:00 pm

Personally i would take it up with the guy who dreamt up the concept and design of your house or you could blame the builder for not following the plans and putting in too many windows :roll: :roll: :roll:

Freedik have you seen the spanish ??? type roller shutter its a bit like a garage door in function and rolls up into a box hidden above the window they are lightly perforated to allow some light through but block out the sun they also used to be metal (last ones i saw were
plastic)the winding mechanism was inside and when you closed them they were great security
as well as sunshade/privacy
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby geordie » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:25 pm

Picture bee 651 (1).JPG
not a great example these are the more modern plastic ones and lack perforations because of location in direct sunlight
it a picture of my mates place in spain which is very remote hence the security bars
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby fredlk » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:01 pm

geordie wrote:Personally i would take it up with the guy who dreamt up the concept and design of your house

That is me :oops: together with Fluke the architect. The brief was to let in as much light as possible and have as many openings in the rooms as practically possible. Fluke designed a lot of rooms with glass on 3 sides before I started bricking things up again to have walls so that we could place furniture. I just can't have both my cake and eat it. In the end I thought I could get one fitted on my bedroom window but even there my specifications for its width left no place on either side for a shutter to slide to. I could have made the bedroom bigger, but I don't like big bedrooms. My house doesn't get sun on the windows so they would not be necessary, but they are a great way to create shade.
geordie wrote:have you seen the spanish ??? type roller shutter its a bit like a garage door in function and rolls up into a box hidden above the window

Almost all houses in Germany have them and in Belgium a lot do as well. They are mainly to keep heat in and for privacy, but work as security grills at the same time. I don't like them because I like to look out day and night and I felt very claustrophobic at my parents' home in Germany in the evenings when the shutters went down.
fredlk

Postby sezze » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:52 pm

I like them because they make the room absolutely black . However , they are not cheap and if they are build in ( most systems ) it requires different techniques then the ones they have in Thailand .
OT , the shutters on the pics are exactly how my doors will be sliding , in front of the wall . If I would have a more expensive build i would surely take the louvre system like on 1 of the pics in the outside and the sliding door on the inside of the wall . A system like the ones shown is not expensive . You can use cheaper wood and just put a lot of paint on it . The sliding system is strong and the doors are not more then 2000 a piece .
sezze

Postby fredlk » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:20 pm

sezze wrote:the shutters on the pics are exactly how my doors will be sliding , in front of the wall .

That sounds good. Don't forget to show us what it looks like.
fredlk

Postby fredlk » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:36 am

I'm not sure if these are just awnings or maybe drop-down shutters but it's a good idea for shading as well as security if bolted closed from the inside:
01-MacMaster-Tropical-Beach-House-Design.jpg

03-MacMaster-Beach-House-Designs.jpg

(Designed by Villa & Villa in Macmasters Beach, New South Wales.)
fredlk

Postby Makmak456 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:30 am

That would be cheaper ( the NSW) design than the roll up ones, and with a looking system fairly secure too.
I like !!!!!!!!!!
Makmak456

Return to windows and doors