House Building, Sisaket

Any story related to building in the LOS, whether everything turned out hunky dory or not!

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, fredlk

House Building, Sisaket

Postby Mishark » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:33 pm

This is the house I am building in a small village in the province of Sisaket:
http://www.coolthaihouse.com/cthpics/th ... ?album=171
Mishark

Re: House Building, Sisaket

Postby MGV12 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:02 pm

Mishark wrote:This is the house I am building in a small village in the province of Sisaket:
http://www.coolthaihouse.com/cthpics/th ... ?album=171

Hello and a warm welcome to CTH ... pictures already ... that'll go down well with the other members ... pics are always appreciated.

Good luck with your build and please continue to keep us posted on your progress ... if you have any questions someone here is very likely to have the answer. Worth doing a search first as many questions have already been answered.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby geordie » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:10 pm

again welcome to the forum we are geting a bit short of building projects with a couple just finishing although more in the pipeline i am jealous of the pictures its taken me two years to learn how to post pics
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby Mishark » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:27 pm

Wow! I meant to edit my original post, but you guys were just too quick! ;-) Thanks for the welcome...

The project is expected to take two months, and is a fixed price contract (B700,000) for both labour and materials. It is in a small village 25km from Kantharalak (Sisaket Province). The land is about 1,000 square metres, to my best calculation. The house has an internal area of 107 sq.m plus 10 sq.m porch at the front. Roof has 90cm overhang all around.

As I have only been here 5 months, I wanted to start small, but have the ability to slowly landscape and create further areas in the garden for recreation and enjoyment...

Anyway, I will add photos to the gallerly as they are taken, and update here too...

All comments (both good and bad) are welcomed, and in fact probably NEEDED! (First build) :-)
Mishark

Postby kknaj » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:07 pm

Welcome to the forum and great to see you have started already. The price seems quite reasonable. You may want to add to your house with some ideas from the forum. If its a long term house for you things like granite bench tops, high quality bathroom tiles and floor tiles may stretch the agreed upon price with the builder but is something you can appreciate longer.

Using CPAC monier roof tiles (10.5-11.5 baht each) and foil roof insulation under tiles is also something you may want to add and probably isn't in the builders plan but is something easily added without much extra cost.

Its well worth paying attention to our mistakes so you dont have to make them later ;)

Good luck and look forward to seeing your progress.
kknaj

Postby Mishark » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:43 am

Have just added some more pictures. They have laid the concrete which forms the border around each room and now are filling each area with dirt, ready to pour concrete in a few days time. I will learn the technical terms one day, but the pictures are there to explain a lot better than I can! http://www.coolthaihouse.com/cthpics/th ... ?album=171

kknaj, thanks for your reply. We do have a fixed price on different things (tiles, bench etc.). And as you say, if we want to something more expensive, then it is up to us to pay the extra. We did consider CPAC roofing, but given the location, in the village with no CPAC roofs around, and that the distance to the nearest CPAC roof store is quite some distance (apparently) and so would add quite a bit more, we have gone for Chang roofing.

I am reading the board carefully to try and understand the building process and what things I need to think about. Thankfully the girlfriend is very assertive, consulting locals and talking with the builder and also the sales manager...
Mishark

Postby kknaj » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:06 am

Thats great your build is underway and great to hear your gf is going for it and learning as she goes.

Its odd though that CPAC monier tiles are not available locally. I thought they were available everywhere in Thailand as the most common tile. These are made of cement and cost around 11.5 baht each and takes 11 tiles per meter sq.

How far away is the nearest major town/city from your house?

You'll have time to learn the words as you go. By reading the various stories (especially jazzman's greenhouse story) you'll learn a lot along the way.

Good luck with the rest of the build and let us know any help needed.
kknaj

Postby pattayapope » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:22 am

Hi

Good to see a new build on the forum, I was looking at the house floor plan and the bathrooms look very small, maybe you want to take a look at how they will be laid out with shower and toilet sink ect. Nothing worse than wetting the toilet when you have a shower. I have seen this on quite a few of the local builds with the shower at the high point and the toilet at the lower point where the floor drain is so the whole floor area is wet and slippery. Apart from that maybe consider and outside kitchen as well for the Thai stuff especially when they fry the chillies, just a simple counter out the back will suffice.[*] :D :D
pattayapope

CPAC Concrete Floor Poured

Postby Mishark » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:01 pm

First an update. Today, the CPAC concrete floor was poured and spread. I have added more photos: http://www.coolthaihouse.com/cthpics/th ... 171&page=3

Kknaj, our site is located 25km from Kantharalak, which I have been told is the closest CPAC tile depot. Apparently this distance would have added a big cost to a CPAC roof?! After seeing both Chang and CPAC, and given the surrounding houses, I am not bothered, though the girlfriend would have preferred CPAC.

Pattayapope, thanks for your comment. Have spoken with the girlfriend and the master bathroom will now be 2.7m by 1.7m. Also, to maximise space, we have asked for a cavity slider (hey, a build term I actually know?!), rather than a normal door.

As for the smaller bathroom, I found out there will be 2, not just 1! Each will be 2m by 1.5m, which yes, is probably a bit small, but not a lot of room to play with. One will be en-suite, while the other will serve the 3rd bedroom (office) plus visitors.

The section is about 1,000 square metres and we are hoping to put an outdoor kitchen, bar, pagoda, waterfall feature, possible pool etc outside, in a year or two. In the short term, I am sure the girlfriend will find a way to cook outside so we don't cough to death whilst cooking chillis and babecuing ribs!

Anyway, as always, enjoy the photos and please let me know any thoughts...
Mishark

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:10 pm

That tractor looks like it was gunning it! I had to ask our tractor driver to slow down as I was worried he would crack the ground beams.

That is a alot of soil infill you have - I assume they watered it down and compacted it? How long did it take to settle, for us it was about 3 weeks, but we are in a rice field.
Please check out our YouTube Channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/KiddieToysReview
"Toys & Fun with Ely & Ela"
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby Mishark » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:56 pm

Regarding the builders and their techniques, I have been trying to be very hands off. The girlfriend seems capable and I have been showing her some things I have found on this web site which seem to have been part of the builders plan already...

Regarding the fill, it was put on, wetted, compacted and left for two days before the concrete CPAC floor was poured on top. Does not sound long, does it? Ooops! Wonder if, and when that might show itself? *ponders*

Today they had (and were) boxing the support columns and filling them with concrete. The roof is getting delivered later this week, apparently... http://www.coolthaihouse.com/cthpics/th ... 171&page=4

Enjoy the photos of their technique for getting the concrete to the person up on the platform that pours the concrete into the columns! :-)
Mishark

Postby Mishark » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:52 pm

Actually, after reading this topic (viewtopic.php?f=39&t=959) maybe having only a few days between putting fill into the floor compartments, and then pouring on the CPAC concrete flooring was OK! :? :-)
Mishark

Postby kknaj » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:56 pm

On the CPAC tiles each builder I spoke to said they preffered CPAC tiles as they dont crack and break when they are cutting them to size in some places on the roof. Also their glossy look and weather protection is better. I hope you spend the extra few baht per tile to get them. You would only save a few thousand baht by choosing the cheaper option. Its one of those things that make the house look good for longer. If you look at the cheaper thai house developments you will see these cheap ugly tiles looking very average after just 2-4 years.

Just some food for thought.
kknaj

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:30 pm

Mishark wrote:Regarding the builders and their techniques, I have been trying to be very hands off.

You may want to get more hands on as the project progresses to the important parts, if you have any particular finish standards in mind. For example,
if you want your bathtubs or windows/doors/cabinets centered, be there - the locals seem to have little sense of symmetry/centering. The people we have
worked with do not centre doors in hallways, lights in the ceiling, bathroom windows, bathtub, toilet in the toilet room, the list goes on...
Max&Bee-in-CM

Postby Max&Bee-in-CM » Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:33 pm

kknaj wrote:On the CPAC tiles each builder I spoke to said they preffered CPAC tiles as they dont crack and break when they are cutting them to size in some places on the roof. Also their glossy look and weather protection is better. I hope you spend the extra few baht per tile to get them. You would only save a few thousand baht by choosing the cheaper option. Its one of those things that make the house look good for longer. If you look at the cheaper thai house developments you will see these cheap ugly tiles looking very average after just 2-4 years.

Just some food for thought.

Again I am 100% in agreement with you - the thai traditional large tiles look ok for a year or 2, then seem run down and suitable for garages or outhouses, all the new houses here use the small CPAC tiles, some in really cool 2 tones. Those small diamond shaped tiles look ok also, but have much more maintenance issues, and seem more flimsy.
Max&Bee-in-CM

Next

Return to Your Building Story