PVC vs Wood for exterior door

Information about windows and doors.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

PVC vs Wood for exterior door

Postby pklongball » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:24 pm

Hey all,

I am looking for opinions on whether I should buy a PVC door and frame or a wood door and frame for adding to the soon to be completed exterior entry to my pump room/storage room. The door needs not be anything fancy but prefer something that will weather rain and sun for several years or longer.

The main criteria is not expensive. This means the door and frame should not cost more than about 3,000 baht. I am also looking for the bigger size as in 90 cm wide and 200 cm high.

I have looked at the PVC doors in a few places and they do not look sturdy enough to handle the sun and heat.I am worried any wood door will need refinishing a lot. I would consider uPVC but not sure I can get one in my price range

Any recommendations please?

Thanks in advance
The complete picture story of our house build can be found here--My Gallery!
pklongball

Re: PVC vs Wood for exterior door

Postby developer3d » Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:16 pm

You might consider making one ?

You could certainly buy enough steel tube and steel plate and a few hinges with your budget to make one if you can weld a bit.

I built several recently and paid 750 baht for 2400 x 1200 x 1.5 mm steel sheets, and under 1500 baht for more 50 x 50 tubing than you need for the door and the frame - admittedly I also bought over the top hinges and locks and they where expensivish but its like fort knox but I still think I was under 3000 baht.

Its not a hard job - - hardest part is cutting the sheet to size - it will outlast you and I my many years with a coat of paint and it would actually be secure for your storage unlike any PVC or wooden door.

I have no idea what a jobing shop would charge you if you cant weld but even that might squeeze in to your budget - maybe / maybe not ? its an afternoons work if you give them a dimensioned drawing.
developer3d

Postby pklongball » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:21 am

Good idea about fabricating a metal door and frame. I never considered this and that's why I posted the question for a bit of brainstorming.

No, I cannot weld and have no access to the needed tools. I will ask our steel bar man what can be done
pklongball

Postby erikr69 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:58 am

did you get them made? what was the final price?
erikr69

Postby pklongball » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:33 am

I ended up with a plain wood door and frame and applied 3 coats of varnish like coating to make it weatherproof. Cost of door and frame about 2500. I did not like the appearance of the PVC doors I looked at and the ready made steel was too much
pklongball

Postby geordie » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:47 pm

Other than the above showing sign,s of spam :( [Now removed - mod :D ]
The idea of fiberglass is an old one with a door blank (solid core) you can bond a dimpled fiberglass sheet which can be coloured any colour you want will not fade easily does not scratch as easily as upvc and will give you great security as well
we used them on goverment condo,s for years tied in with an intercom so very vandal resistant combined with a piano hinge and a decent locking systen as good as it gets really a t bar down the edge protects the lock and dresses it over the fiberglass
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Return to windows and doors