pool/ dam lining

Any thing to do with swimming pools, fish ponds, or other man made structures which hold water (but not wells for drinking water).

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL, pattayapope

pool/ dam lining

Postby turtle2 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:02 am

I have patialy built my house about 60k east of rayong I have formed a large moat arond the 2 acre property and the soil was used to elevate the house about 1.5 meters to aleviate flooding.I wish to farm fish in the moat as it about 14ft wide and 10ft deep the problem I have is that moat will not hold water for any leangth of time hence I will to line it. Could you give some advice on where and approx cost per meter or if you have any alteratives that might work. I will post photos later
turtle2

Re: pool/ dam lining

Postby Nawty » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:54 am

If it is a large area, best to use clay, you will have to drain it and buy it buy the truckload and have it placed by an excavator to do the best job. Make sure clay and all clay and not the crap black stuff or red stuff, must be clay clay and all clay.
conwood is not real wood.....break it down 'con' to deceive...'wood'
Nawty

Postby turtle2 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:00 pm

nawty thanks for sugestion I will do some further investigation but I'm not sure if it be a permanant fix thanks again
turtle2

Postby geordie » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:30 pm

i think nawty hit the nail on the head with the clay that sort of size area even clay lining it will cost a fair sum am i understanding it you have surrounded the whole plot with this moat do you have any water in it at all if so have you studied the rise and fall over the course of a year to locate your water table height
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby Nawty » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:29 am

Turtle......clay lining is how almost all dams in country Thailand and Oz and almost anywhere are made to hold water.

Also as questioned by Geordie, your moat may become a cracked clay wastepan in the dry if you do not have a high enough water table or an adequate way of topping it up......nothing worse than green sludge at the bottom of your moat....will not keep the crusaders out.

Well only thing worse is a completely dry moat I guess.....
Nawty

Postby turtle2 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:51 pm

thank's guys I think the main problem may be that at one corner of the dam there seem to be a natural sprring just comming up to the bottom of the dam just like an open plug.
turtle2

Postby geordie » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:44 pm

you have an oportunity there the dutch used water wheels to drive pumps to drain land have you enough flow to reverse it
block the spring off from the moat and use the waterflow to pump water from the sping into it
it sound daft but it could work depends on the flow rate of the spring against the leak rate of the moat alternately dump a load of clay in the area of the spring fill up and see if that is the only problem area
does the spring have water feeding through it as well as what you put in there
geordie

Postby turtle2 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:10 am

Dozer I will try as you suggest but as the water table rises it may push through the clay and dispures it other than that I might have to back fill 8 or 10 ft back with clay.PS did you recieve the photo's
turtle2

Postby dozer » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:36 pm

Hi tutle2: I didn't suggest anything, must have been someone else. I did get some photos you sent..... can you upload them to this thread, so everyone can see them? Just click on the Upload attachment and go from there.....
dozer
Site Admin

Postby Nawty » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:27 pm

A Thai architect friend visited me up here the other day, got talking about ponds and 4 years ago a friend of his built a pond and wanted my friends help to make sure it was what he wanted.

First, he had no natural water suppll to fill it, so they sunk a bore.

Secondly, the pond was 10m deep and about 100m x 30m...so not tiny.

He wanted it lined to keep water in and keep it clear. So they dug a shelf around the edge, about half a metre below the surface/edge, then lined the hole pond with the simple black pvc plastic and the company that supplied it, welded it altogether.

It sat just on the edge of the shelf and then the last little bit between the edge of the shelf and the grassed area was soil, so they could grow plants around the edge up to the drop off.

4 years later and it does not leak, it is clear water and he simply tops it up from the bore, not sure how often this is done, but did not sound excessive.

The total cost for the liner was 15,000b he said.

I would be very willing to do this for my planned pond, but use a heavier gauge plastic, for additional cost.....but i am worried about the water table here being high and rising up under the plastic.
Nawty

Postby fredlk » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:46 pm

Nawty wrote:....but i am worried about the water table here being high and rising up under the plastic.

If you have water in the pond on top of the plastic it won't allow the ground water to rise up.
I had a pvc-lined (concrete in-ground) swimming pool and while it was filled no problems, but when the water level went down by half, the ground water started to get in under the plastic.
Filling the pool pushed the ground-water back out. (The water table was about 40 centimetres lower than the top of the pool.)
fredlk

Postby geordie » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:34 pm

nawty you could use the dirt you are digging out too build up above the water table and flood level sort of an above ground pool unlike most members you have the water to fill it :lol: :lol:
fredik is right about the importance of keeping the pond water higher than the water table
to keep the liner in place seems cheap for a project that size
geordie

Postby robertkc » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:45 am

Not sure about this but am thinking of trying it as insurance against high water table events/gas build up when I install plastic lined ponds: slope the pond bottom to a low point & install a swimming pool type hydrostatic valve into a gravel well.I don`t want to raise my pond edges above the grade ( aiming for the natural look).
This company have very reasonable pvc/ldpe prices & have been helpful answering questions: http://www.scv-plastic.com/slan.html
robertkc

Postby pattayapope » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:39 am

The web link in english, seems like a good source

http://www.scv-plastic.com/index_english.html
pattayapope

Postby jazzman » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:55 pm

Strong PVC sheeting? Chicken wire covered with cement rendering with nam ya gansaeum (waterproofing additive) ?
How to build a $20,000 / £14,000 house and a $???? MOTEL Updated 21 March 09 - with BOQ and costs
Don't let this happen in YOUR house.
jazzman

Next

Return to swimming pool