Central Air

Air conditioning, fans, and anything related to keeping it cool, such as insulation. This would include any posts generally discussing how to keep it cool, such as which types of blocks are better insulators.... ideal wall thickness for keeping an A/C house cool, etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

cool

Postby robint » Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:09 pm

:D

hi Mr D

thats a good start, would it be worth suggesting other links, or move previous posts elsewhere on this topic over to here, or is that too difficult?
robint

central air

Postby fdimike » Sat Nov 19, 2005 10:01 pm

Cruzing

Can you tell me a little more about your system. I am building a rather large house in Udon Thani and would like to install central a/c. I would appreciate any info re: the following:

1. Model number of a/c system
2. size of your house
3. construction materials (superblock, brick etc)
4. insulation

Thanks
Mike
fdimike

Re: central air

Postby cruzing » Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:00 pm

fdimike wrote:Cruzing

Can you tell me a little more about your system. I am building a rather large house in Udon Thani and would like to install central a/c. I would appreciate any info re: the following:

1. Model number of a/c system
2. size of your house
3. construction materials (superblock, brick etc)
4. insulation

Thanks
Mike

Hi Mike,

Model number : DAIKIN R13GV1LS9 We have 3 units outside and 3 places inside for return air. Each return air unit supplies air to 4 air ducts. At each return air unit is a remote control and wall thermostat so that you don't have to have them all on in you don't want too. Kind of like the zoned a/c in the states.

They told us we needed a 1 meter area for each return air unit, but Mr. Cruzing is a little upset over this as he thinks the opening didn't have to be that large.

Living area: 200 square meters .

Construction: Double walled construction using 6 inch high quality exterior and smaller higher quality interior blocks, with about a 6 inch gap. Wall thickeness is approx. 1 foot thick.

Insulation: 4 inches of blown in insulation.

Windows: all double glazed except for three small windows and a sliding door we purchased here. I think ARC has double glazed but they are quite expensive. Not sure if you could get the alumninum ones double glazed. After paying the big bucks for the PVC windows we had to buy here and the lack of quality (Dorken) I would rather have the aluminum windows.

Cruzing
cruzing

Re: central air

Postby rigpig.sparky » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:24 pm

Hi Cruzing
I have had a bit to do with A/C's in Australia over the years and ducted systems leave splits for dead in my book ! Dakin make good quality units and your system looks great. I don't see why everyone thinks they are expensive to either install or run, it just requires a little bit of forethought as to what you are trying to achieve ! No one seems to have e grasped that you can control fan speed (most units have 3 settings) or control the direction of air flow with Modulated dampers to redirect the air to where ( or not)) you want it. I think the biggest problem is everyone that has an A/C seems to want to turn the place into a freezer room and not just make the place comfortable. I cannot stress how important insulation is too. Keep the heat out of the roof and the cold air in the living space, not rocket science. Why you would want noisy, ugly splits escapes me. You've written some great posts, thanks,
Tony
rigpig.sparky

Re: Central Air

Postby Paul » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:10 pm

Daikin are the best air con company to use IMO http://www.daikin.co.th/ closely followed by Trane http://www.tranethailand.com/.
Be very careful when talking about central air as there is a Thai company called Central Air and their stuff is complete rubbish.
Paul

Postby opentosuggestions » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:54 pm

I am interested in a ducted A/C unit like the Daikin system mentioned above. I guess I don't really
understand how the system works though. So, the compressor unit is outside the house, the unit sends
compressed and cooled fluid in to the "return air unit"? So, this return air unit is really an input
and output unit? It has four input (return) ducts and four output (cooled filtered air) ducts? So the
"return air unit" requires a PVC pipe for the condensation water - like the split system units have?
Approximately how long can these ducts be?

Anybody? thx!
opentosuggestions

Postby pipoz » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:09 pm

Has any one seen this for sale in one of the Thai Superstores, Thaiwatsadu, Home Mart, Global etc

If so any idea what it is worth?

pipoz
Attachments
Flexi duct.jpg
Flexible Duct
pipoz

Previous

Return to cooling systems