Distance of roof from boundary

Legal issues related to buying land, houses, condos in the LOS. Anything about contracts. Finance related, such as getting a mortgage, buying property from the bank, etc.

Moderators: MGV12, BKKBILL, Sometimewoodworker

Roger Ramjet

Distance of roof from boundary

Post by Roger Ramjet »

It would appear the legal distance from your boundary to the house proper is two metres. Does this apply to the second story or is that three metres as has been suggested. When I finally build on my property which is 13 metres by 31 metres or 103 sq wah, I have a build area of 9 metres by 24 metres on my plans being drawn which covers me front and rear, is my roof allowed to overlap the building itself by up to one metre or even 1.5 metres. it is a two storied house with veranda/patio on the second floor over the indoor swimming pool. Two sides (east and south) have no neighbours and face sois. North has a neighbour that has already encroached over the two metres, I believe. There is a vacant lot west which we hope to buy later.
See photos at my build in Nontharburi/Pak Kret (actually Ban Be Thong).
rucus7

Re: Distance of roof from boundary

Post by rucus7 »

Roger, Do you know if this code regarding setback distance applies to all provinces on Thailand. Also if it applies to tree foliage as well? I ask because we had a request/demand from an adjacent property owner. He, righty noted that the crowns of our trees were shading and dripping water on to his property. There was never question about removing the trees (30) only pruning them back, which we did. His request/demand was in no way nefarious he only wanted to make sure his new seedlings got a good sunny start. Our tree trunks are set back 2 and a half meters,but the crowns are the causing the problem.
fredlk

Post by fredlk »

rucus7 wrote:Do you know if this code regarding setback distance applies to all provinces on Thailand. Also if it applies to tree foliage as well?
I am not sure of the exact laws in Thailand but in most parts of the western world, a tree reaching over somebody else's property must be cut back as it is an infringement.
Even if it is not law I believe it is good neighbourliness to see to it that you don't encroach in any way on your neighbour's property.

The one law that was compulsory for me to abide by on my property was the build of the lower retaining wall.
It had to be strong enough to ensure complete safety for the neighbours lower down the hill in case of erosion or wash-aways.
Only then was a building permit for the rest issued. An official from the Land Office came to check that this wall was being built according to specifications.
Roger Ramjet

Post by Roger Ramjet »

Fred,
Yes I'm pretty sure, but I always check. Tomorrow I am meeting my architect for our second session and will raise it with him. The tree thing is correct, it doesn't have to be removed, just trimmed back, I recall that from Spectrum in the BP a while back.
Tomorrow Fred, we will see what will be, will be.
Roger Ramjet

Post by Roger Ramjet »

rucus7,
I am sorry to inform you that the law is the law, no matter where you are in Thailand. Your tree needs to be trimmed if the neighbours want it trimmed, now if it was a mango tree, and I was your neighbour I wouldn't be complaining, just stealing all the mangos, if they were the sweet and sour ones I like.
I think there was a demonstration in May, if I recall correctly, about double standards and applying the law equally to all, not just the unequal majority. I'm just doing my little bit to raise the red flag a little higher and abide by the law and I'll be a bit pissed off if I can't have at least a one metre overhang that is on my property and a second floor as wide as the first.
fredlk

Post by fredlk »

Roger Ramjet wrote:I have a build area of 9 metres by 24 metres on my plans being drawn which covers me front and rear, is my roof allowed to overlap the building itself by up to one metre or even 1.5 metres.
I am almost certain that you will be able to build your 9 metre wide house - 9 metres on all floors - with an 11 to 12 metre roof.
My plans were looked at (and approved?) by both the Land Office and the local Royal Thai Navy authority.
In those plans my one roof (over the bathroom) is 50 centimetres from the wall and the public road and the garage roof is about 30 centimetres from the wall and the neighbours.
Roger Ramjet

Post by Roger Ramjet »

Fred,
You may just get a shock one day. I recall a young engineer at Falls Creek blasting a portal (large hole straight down) and he overloaded with explosives and failed to use enough blast mats. The Falls Creek hotel was just 200 metres away and the resulting pressure wave caused the roof to lift and one wall, where all the toilets were, to fall out to show a very stunned barman was sitting on the throne of honour holding a newspaper. If your roof over the bathroom/toilet is that close to the road, do not be surprised if one day you are reading on the dunny (toilet) and an Issan truck or bus driver cuts the corner and takes the wall and roof off!
fredlk

Post by fredlk »

Roger Ramjet wrote:Fred,
You may just get a shock one day. I recall a young engineer at Falls Creek blasting a portal (large hole straight down) and he overloaded with explosives and failed to use enough blast mats. The Falls Creek hotel was just 200 metres away and the resulting pressure wave caused the roof to lift and one wall, where all the toilets were, to fall out to show a very stunned barman was sitting on the throne of honour holding a newspaper. If your roof over the bathroom/toilet is that close to the road, do not be surprised if one day you are reading on the dunny (toilet) and an Issan truck or bus driver cuts the corner and takes the wall and roof off!
:lol: :lol:
.... and that is why my walls will be reinforced concrete
Bryan23

Post by Bryan23 »

Would this apply to all secondary buildings as well? For example, living in the country and having your water storage tanks on the property line or small storage buildings, and not set back whatever setback requirements there are. Two meters?
Roger Ramjet

Post by Roger Ramjet »

Bryan23 wrote:Would this apply to all secondary buildings as well? For example, living in the country and having your water storage tanks on the property line or small storage buildings, and not set back whatever setback requirements there are. Two meters?
The setback of any building is two metres with the roof being one metre, this is to stop rainwater from entering the neighbours property.
I have not heard any difference from the Or Bor Tor on this issue.
The only exceptions are townhouses. Approval for those can be sought from the village chief if extending, and it's also polite to ask the neighbours.