Central Air

Air conditioning, fans, and anything related to keeping it cool, such as insulation. This would include any posts generally discussing how to keep it cool, such as which types of blocks are better insulators.... ideal wall thickness for keeping an A/C house cool, etc.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Central Air

Postby cruzing » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:52 am

I thought maybe some of you would be interested in seeing how we did our aircondition system.

The units in the walls with the openings will have large vents installed over them. These are the return air. The other picture is of the type ceiling vents we used.

There are 3 zones and each zone supplies air to 4 vents. The outside units look pretty much the same as any other unit. We have Daikin. I think it was right at a 100,000 baht for everything including installation.

Cruzing
Attachments
ceiling vent2.jpg
ceiling vent2.jpg (30.76 KiB) Viewed 8704 times
return air2.jpg
return air2.jpg (54.49 KiB) Viewed 8702 times
cruzing
 
Posts: 470
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:25 am
Location: Na Jomtien, Sattahip

Postby John » Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:43 pm

I would definitely consider that system for a living area as I hate those A/C blowers hanging off the wall. Not sure I would use it for the bedrooms as most of the time only one is in use.

I kind of concealed the living area A/C by using a ceiling unit. Not as neat and easy to maintain as a central system though.



Image
John
 
Posts: 171
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:33 pm
Location: UK And Thailand

central air

Postby cruzing » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:22 pm

We haven't had time yet, but we want to fix a way that we can close off vents in rooms we aren't using the same way we did in the states. We have only 2 bedrooms and an office on the one zone, so really they are the only ones we need to have a way to close or open.

Cruzing
cruzing
 
Posts: 470
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:25 am
Location: Na Jomtien, Sattahip

Postby runker » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:46 pm

Where are the air filters located?
runker
 
Posts: 201
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:42 am
Location: Maryland/ChiangMai

Postby cruzing » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:53 pm

I think my husband said they'll be behind the opening for the door vents that go in front of the return air units---so basically as big as the opening.

Cruzing
cruzing
 
Posts: 470
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:25 am
Location: Na Jomtien, Sattahip

central Air

Postby RobinT » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:27 pm

:D

Ive lived with these centralised ac systems quite a lot in the ME. The size of the fan and compressor unit is about 1mx1mx2m long and was mounted on the flat roof (flat roofs are favoured in the ME).

It worked on a modest 3bed villa but it cost about twice as much to run as the split wall units. The disadvantage is that you have a large unit perhaps only operating at 25% capacity most of the time (when you are not trying to cool the whole house (ie beds not in use)

I think they are mostly suitable for commercial buildings

I dont think Iv3 ever seen one in use on a private house in LOS

These modern screw compressor split units are very efficient, much better than the combined "poke through the wall" box type. Noone seesm to use those anymore - noisy useless things that I had to live with in Africa
RobinT
 

Re: Central Air

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:33 pm

cruzing wrote:I thought maybe some of you would be interested in seeing how we did our aircondition system.

The units in the walls with the openings will have large vents installed over them. These are the return air. The other picture is of the type ceiling vents we used.

There are 3 zones and each zone supplies air to 4 vents. The outside units look pretty much the same as any other unit. We have Daikin. I think it was right at a 100,000 baht for everything including installation.

Cruzing


Hi Cruiser

I do like those terra cotta tiles (we might call them quarry tiles). Where did you get them?

On my theme of free cooling, these would be ideal. Unfortunately most floor tile are glazed and will not provide you with the same evaporative cooling effect. I am reminded of the coolness of marble floors in some of the old catedrali in italy, amazing contrast in temperature and not an ac unit in sight (not in Michaelangelo's day anyway :P )
Guest
 

Re: Central Air

Postby cruzing » Mon Aug 15, 2005 8:59 pm

Anonymous wrote:
cruzing wrote:I thought maybe some of you would be interested in seeing how we did our aircondition system.

The units in the walls with the openings will have large vents installed over them. These are the return air. The other picture is of the type ceiling vents we used.

There are 3 zones and each zone supplies air to 4 vents. The outside units look pretty much the same as any other unit. We have Daikin. I think it was right at a 100,000 baht for everything including installation.

Cruzing


Hi Cruiser

I do like those terra cotta tiles (we might call them quarry tiles). Where did you get them?

On my theme of free cooling, these would be ideal. Unfortunately most floor tile are glazed and will not provide you with the same evaporative cooling effect. I am reminded of the coolness of marble floors in some of the old catedrali in italy, amazing contrast in temperature and not an ac unit in sight (not in Michaelangelo's day anyway :P )



Hello Guest.


Thanks. Took me awhile to figure out that you were talking about my floor tile as we have unglazed terra cotta roof tiles. However, these are glazed. They do have unglazed terra cotta floor tiles where we got our roof tiles in Chantaburi, but a little more expensive and to have a nice job of it we'd have had to lay them ourselves and then seal them.

We got these tiles from Boonthavorn in BKK in Phuttamonthon because that's where we were living while building our house. We looked a long time before we found something that we liked. Most of them that were mimicking terra cotta looked like cr__!!

Our floors are pretty cool all the time. That may have to do with the crawl space under the house, don't know. Just know I really don't care for marble floors. Granites OK, but too pricey. We wanted something to go with our Spanish Style house and we both like them. We have them throughout the house. Maybe it's a California thing but I don't like to see the house all chopped up with different floor coverings unless its wood, and Mr Cruzing says NO WOOD!

In the midwest they do different floors for each room, even different carpet. At least they used to.

I really like my floors, so to RobinT if you don't ,TOUGH TETLEYS!!!

Cruzing
cruzing
 
Posts: 470
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:25 am
Location: Na Jomtien, Sattahip

Re: central Air

Postby cruzing » Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:08 pm

RobinT wrote::D

Ive lived with these centralised ac systems quite a lot in the ME. The size of the fan and compressor unit is about 1mx1mx2m long and was mounted on the flat roof (flat roofs are favoured in the ME).

It worked on a modest 3bed villa but it cost about twice as much to run as the split wall units. The disadvantage is that you have a large unit perhaps only operating at 25% capacity most of the time (when you are not trying to cool the whole house (ie beds not in use)

I think they are mostly suitable for commercial buildings

I dont think Iv3 ever seen one in use on a private house in LOS

These modern screw compressor split units are very efficient, much better than the combined "poke through the wall" box type. Noone seesm to use those anymore - noisy useless things that I had to live with in Africa


Why are you ALWAYS so negative Robin??? You don't even know what our system is. All you can see from the photos is that I have 2 units (we have another unit/zone for the bedrooms) inside the house that each have insulated ducts going to 4 vents each, and a picture of the vents and the brand name of the A/C. Other than that you know nothing about our A/C, nada, period end of story.

Cruzing
cruzing
 
Posts: 470
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:25 am
Location: Na Jomtien, Sattahip

Postby runker » Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:45 am

For me central air is the only way to go too. I do not sit on my butt all day in one room of the house all day and then at night get up and go to bed. We have a programable thermostat that we set up for three times zones through out the day and this keep our bill in reason.

I love my wood floors (easy on the knees) However, I'll be looking for engineered bamboo floors when we start our new construction. Nost of this type flooring is made in China so I guess it should available there.
runker
 
Posts: 201
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:42 am
Location: Maryland/ChiangMai

Postby cruzing » Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:30 am

runker wrote:For me central air is the only way to go too. I do not sit on my butt all day in one room of the house all day and then at night get up and go to bed. We have a programable thermostat that we set up for three times zones through out the day and this keep our bill in reason.

I love my wood floors (easy on the knees) However, I'll be looking for engineered bamboo floors when we start our new construction. Nost of this type flooring is made in China so I guess it should available there.


Boy do I know what you mean about the knees. I've always liked the look of that bamboo flooring, but Mr Cruzing was afraid that we would have termites eventually with that, so that was out. Nothing for them to chew on except the doors. :)

Cruzing
cruzing
 
Posts: 470
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:25 am
Location: Na Jomtien, Sattahip

Postby Attila » Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:25 pm

cruzing wrote:Boy do I know what you mean about the knees. I've always liked the look of that bamboo flooring, but Mr Cruzing was afraid that we would have termites eventually with that, so that was out. Nothing for them to chew on except the doors. :)

Cruzing


Mr Cruzing is probably very right here. We had some smaller sections of wooden floor. The ants did love it, and did nest under it. After I replaced it (because it was not strong enough wood anyway) the ants felt offended and decided to move out, without paying the outstanding rent though.
Attila
 
Posts: 408
Joined: Sun May 15, 2005 5:50 pm
Location: Thailand

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:53 pm

:D

Hi cruiser

First of all, if you read my reply properly, I did not make a remark about your installation, I simply related my OWN experience with a type of centralised ac system that came from the states and is used in the ME. Your system is propably a more modern design, I couldnt say cos I dont know your system

The whole object and value of this forum is to exchange you own personal experiences. That doesnt mean that you have to take my personal experiences personally

BTW my dad was Marvin the depressed robot (hitch hikers guide to the galaxy)

After 20 years here you do tend to get a little jaundiced, its true. Being blissfully optimistic is ok while you can afford it. I spend half my week repairing things that break, often inexplicably

For example, I fetched the trolley jack out the other day to lift up the truck for some problem. I didnt get far because the jack had seized up. Why? Turns out that some local had borrowed it and left it out in the rain for a week and then quietly returned it un beknown to me. Happens all the time.

Now I had wood floors once, they were the wood block parquet type and the ants had a real feast there. Worse still was that some of the floor was covered in cardboard boxes used for storage. The ants got inside and ate their way through quite a few files of archived paperwork

This constant deterioration is not specific to LOS, its worse in Africa. I found also that its something that Europeans dont really appreciate. Things are made and built to so much higher standards that we all take it for granted and breakages are generally rare.

Life, life, dont talk to me about life :(
Guest
 

post

Postby cruzing » Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:01 pm

Anonymous wrote::D

Hi cruiser

First of all, if you read my reply properly, I did not make a remark about your installation, I simply related my OWN experience with a type of centralised ac system that came from the states and is used in the ME. Your system is propably a more modern design, I couldnt say cos I dont know your system

The whole object and value of this forum is to exchange you own personal experiences. That doesnt mean that you have to take my personal experiences personally

BTW my dad was Marvin the depressed robot (hitch hikers guide to the galaxy)

After 20 years here you do tend to get a little jaundiced, its true. Being blissfully optimistic is ok while you can afford it. I spend half my week repairing things that break, often inexplicably

For example, I fetched the trolley jack out the other day to lift up the truck for some problem. I didnt get far because the jack had seized up. Why? Turns out that some local had borrowed it and left it out in the rain for a week and then quietly returned it un beknown to me. Happens all the time.

Now I had wood floors once, they were the wood block parquet type and the ants had a real feast there. Worse still was that some of the floor was covered in cardboard boxes used for storage. The ants got inside and ate their way through quite a few files of archived paperwork

This constant deterioration is not specific to LOS, its worse in Africa. I found also that its something that Europeans dont really appreciate. Things are made and built to so much higher standards that we all take it for granted and breakages are generally rare.

Life, life, dont talk to me about life :(


Sorry if I misread your post, I apologize. :)

Good thing I'm as old as I am, don't think I could take 20 years. We had some workers in to do yard work and they feel it is their right to pick everything I have been nurturing along and waiting to use. :x

BTW it's CRUZING not cruiser. :wink:
cruzing
 
Posts: 470
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:25 am
Location: Na Jomtien, Sattahip

logon procedure

Postby dozer » Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:42 pm

Guest, just so you know for now I have guest access turned on. But if you post as a guest you need to chose a handle such as 'bob', 'dirk', 'thaibuilder' or anything else for that matter. We'll probably be turning off guest access in a week or so, but for the time being just fill in a handle if you want to post as guest. It is the first box on the top where you put in your handle.
dozer
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1940
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:21 pm

Next

Return to cooling systems

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests