What about settee's (sofa's)

Any expat related issue or comment.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Postby Caps » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:31 am

I have been looking at settee's for a while now with my partner and I can not decide. She likes looking
As we all know its a hot/humid country and coming from Yorkshire (cold and wet :D ) I tend to sweat a lot, this leads me to the quandary I am in.

Do you buy, a fabric suite which would then get dirty and smelly over time, probably quicker than a leather one, so you then have a problem with keeping it clean, you could use a throw over to cover the suite?

Do you buy, a leather suite which would be easier to keep clean because you can wipe it, but in the heat you stick to it, and again you could use a throw over to combat this?

Do you buy, a fake leather suite which would probably be the same as the leather.

What have others bought, which have you found the best option?

Thanks
Wayne
Caps

Re: What about settee's (sofa's)

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:24 pm

Caps wrote:Do you buy, a fabric suite which would then get dirty and smelly over time, probably quicker than a leather one, so you then have a problem with keeping it clean, you could use a throw over to cover the suite?

That's what we did, we went to a large furniture place and had them order a custom one from the factory. We then spent heaps on material and had the local seamstress (useless) measure, cut and fit. She forgot to put the 15 zips I had bought and now it's a chore putting them back on. The good part is you can wash them in a washing machine and you're not forever sweating with the vinyl or leather ones.
If I had had any brains I would have ordered the fabric covers straight from the factory, but my wife was on one of her cheap, mean and nasty days when we ordered it so it took two steam cleans before she gave me the nod to buy the fabric.
I have seen steam cleaners for sale in HomePro, but have no idea of the quality.
Having had the three types, I would never go back to vinyl or leather. Fabric is the way to go with covers, but from the factory.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:24 pm

Double post removed.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Caps » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:14 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:
Caps wrote:Do you buy, a fabric suite which would then get dirty and smelly over time, probably quicker than a leather one, so you then have a problem with keeping it clean, you could use a throw over to cover the suite?

That's what we did, we went to a large furniture place and had them order a custom one from the factory. We then spent heaps on material and had the local seamstress (useless) measure, cut and fit. She forgot to put the 15 zips I had bought and now it's a chore putting them back on. The good part is you can wash them in a washing machine and you're not forever sweating with the vinyl or leather ones.
If I had had any brains I would have ordered the fabric covers straight from the factory, but my wife was on one of her cheap, mean and nasty days when we ordered it so it took two steam cleans before she gave me the nod to buy the fabric.
I have seen steam cleaners for sale in HomePro, but have no idea of the quality.
Having had the three types, I would never go back to vinyl or leather. Fabric is the way to go with covers, but from the factory.

Thanks for the info, some food for thought
Caps

Return to general