Copy of birth certificate for Thai person living in Australi

Any expat related issue or comment.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Copy of birth certificate for Thai person living in Australi

Postby barradave » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:41 am

Hello,

My wife is a Thai National from Kanthalarak Isaan who has Australian permanent residency and is living with me in my home situated in Cairns Queensland Australia. She is applying for Australian Citizenship as dual Thai/Australian Citizenship.

Australian Immigration requires a copy of her Thai Birth Certificate, or a letter from the Thai Government stating that they cannot issue a birth certificate. My wife has told me that her parents have lost her original birth certificate and she has been issued with a statement of birth provided by the Thai authorities. This has been supplied to Australia Immigration and they have told us that it is insufficient. When I explained to them that my wife lives in Australia and to fly back to Thailand in order to obtain a copy of her birth certificate, they said that providing a letter provided by the Thai authorities stating that an original copy of her birth certificate cannot be supplied would be sufficient.

Can any member provide me with an answer as to how we can get around this problem?

Kind Regards,
Dave :?
barradave

Re: Copy of birth certificate for Thai person living in Aust

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:51 pm

barradave wrote:My wife is a Thai National from Kanthalarak Isaan who has Australian permanent residency and is living with me in my home situated in Cairns Queensland Australia. She is applying for Australian Citizenship as dual Thai/Australian Citizenship.

There's a retired "diplomat" from the Australian Embassy who drops in here on occasions and would be able to give you a totally correct answer. I'm off to the embassy tomorrow to get two signatures saying I'm still alive and I shall ask then. It sounds like Australiam Immigration are being a little harsh demanding all the official stuff, but my step daughter and I are going through the same process here having her surname changed, talk about getting the run around. It's as if they are forcing us into the hands of unofficial "helpers" at the Thai Department of Foreign Affairs who all want a lot of Thai baht just for knowing which form to fill out.... none of them speak much English including their "official" enterprteurs - three Thai women who sit in a box and charge money for bad service and bad English.
Anyway I'll ask at the Aussie embassy tomorrow what the "official" form or explanation is needed.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Ians » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:29 pm

Contact the thai consular in Brisbane with your problem, they should help.
Ians

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:13 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:Anyway I'll ask at the Aussie embassy tomorrow what the "official" form or explanation is needed.

The embassy said you should check with the Thai Consulate in Brisbane and find out what official form is needed to be filled out, to do this you need to contact the Immigration department in Australia and find out exactly what they want, who they want it from, who has to sign it and is there a set form needed.
Roger Ramjet

Postby barradave » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:30 pm

Hi Roger Ramjet and Ians,

Thanks for your advice. Unfortunately, the Thai Embassy in Brisbane is now closed and everything is directed to their embassy in Canberra. When I ring it, an answering machine asks me to leave a message, but no one returns my call.

I forwarded an email to the Canberra embassy and received the following: "This is not a Royal Thai Embassy's official e-mail account and you may not receive a reply. Please contact thaican@mfa.go.th and cc. rtecanb@gmail.com for Consulate Affairs. Thank you."

I forwarded an email to thaicanb@mfa.go.thai on 13/10/2015, but no return message. Where to go next?

Regards,
Barradave
barradave

Postby Ians » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:37 pm

What a bummer and run around.
You could try the Sydney Thai consulate, not sure if it will do any good - is there a Thai / Australia association in Qld? there is in Sydney - worth a contact as they have good access to the many Thai officials who could help / point you in the right direction .
Ians

Postby Ians » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:04 pm

Just checked on Google -there is a Thai Australia association in Qld.
Ians

Postby barradave » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:49 am

Hi Ians,

Thanks for that. I took your advice and googled Thai/ Australia Associations and found the one in Brisbane that you mentioned in your post. I forwarded a message to them Tuesday, 20/10/2015 and am now waiting for a return message. By the way, still no answer from Thai consulate in Bangkok/Canberra.

Regards,
Dave :)
barradave

Postby Ians » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:35 pm

Hope it works out for you.
Ians

Return to general