Car Insurance

Any expat related issue or comment.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Car Insurance

Postby vanda » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:45 pm

Hey guys, just wanting to find out some info on car insurance in Thailand. The company we were signed up with when we bought a new car last year was organised by my partner, however, later when I had a look through the coverage, for a write off of our brand new 850,000B car, they wouldn't even cover half the cost. Is this a standard with insurance agencies? I would like to have coverage for the value of the car. Thanks for any info.
vanda

Re: Car Insurance

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:51 pm

vanda wrote:just wanting to find out some info on car insurance in Thailand.

It will depend on the make, model and type of car you have and whether there is a lease or hire purchase agreement on it or not. It also depends on the Insurance Company and what the "agreed price" is as well as no claim's bonuses.
If you think you are being ripped-off you probably are. We shop around each time we buy a new car (normally every three or four years) and the price difference is staggering. We have been quoted as much as 20,000 Baht for our less than one year old Suzuki Swift that they will cover for 350,000 Baht, compared to just 13,500 Baht to cover it for 550,000 Baht with a "courtesy car" for 100 baht a day while it is being repaired. The 13,500 is with no claims bonus subtracted.
It will depend on where you buy it, from whom (dealer) and what model it is. And then there's VAT and all those hidden little extras you are never told about.
It pays to shop around and try and cut out the middlemen and agents.
Honda always arranged our insurance through Viriyah http://www.viriyah.co.th/en/award.php#.VQrg1Sg5h0g that have always given us a fair deal. I don't get a commission off of them, I have no interest in them, they just gave us the best deal and the courtesy car came in very handy when our Honda was in repair for two weeks.
When we bought the new Suzuki Swift the dealer wanted to charge us 18,000 Baht and other quotes ran as high as 20,000. We called Viriyah who came back with 13,500.
Good luck, don't go through an agent.
Roger Ramjet

Postby vanda » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:30 am

Cheers for the reply RR, I'll get onto it next time I'm back in Thailand.
vanda

Postby Cockneyboy187 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:59 am

when we have bought car insurance, after putting in the car details, it comes back with a valuation and then a quote for insurance for around that amount, but have to double check the figure before comparing prices.
Cockneyboy187

Postby pipoz » Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:34 pm

I know it has probably been asked before, but I can find the Thread

What is the process for buying a second hand Vehicle when I am in Udon Thani and he/she is down outside Bangkok

At the Udon Thani (receiving) end It will be bought and Registered in a Thai Name, as that person lives in Udon Thani

My question is when I go to BKK (myself) and buy the Vehicle from the Seller, what paperwork does he/she have to give me, (as he she wont be travelling back to Udon Thani with me), so I can then give it to my TG at the UT end to Register?

pipoz
pipoz

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:15 am

pipoz wrote:My question is when I go to BKK (myself) and buy the Vehicle from the Seller, what paperwork does he/she have to give me, (as he she wont be travelling back to Udon Thani with me), so I can then give it to my TG at the UT end to Register?

You're making it difficult on the seller because if it isn't registered it will mean red plating it or registering it in Bangkok then changing the rego in Udon Thani and they won't do that. Or making the seller drive all the way to Udon Thani just so you can register it there. You both have to dign the car over to each other at the MRT or whatever they call iy here. The paperwork is a book with the history of ownership in it and all those tax numbers that they now feed into a computer.
Roger Ramjet

Postby pipoz » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:34 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:
pipoz wrote:My question is when I go to BKK (myself) and buy the Vehicle from the Seller, what paperwork does he/she have to give me, (as he she wont be travelling back to Udon Thani with me), so I can then give it to my TG at the UT end to Register?

You're making it difficult on the seller because if it isn't registered it will mean red plating it or registering it in Bangkok then changing the rego in Udon Thani and they won't do that. Or making the seller drive all the way to Udon Thani just so you can register it there. You both have to dign the car over to each other at the MRT or whatever they call iy here. The paperwork is a book with the history of ownership in it and all those tax numbers that they now feed into a computer.

Hi Roger, it has 6 months of Rego left on it. Just trying to find out if the Seller has to be present in Udon Thani when I (her and myself) go to re-register it or if the Seller can simply sign and give me all the paperwork when I buy it in Bangkok. Then I will drive it from Bangkok up to Udon Thani and re-register it in her name - That was the idea anyway

But if the rule is that we both (Seller and her) have to be present in Udon Thani to sign the car over at the UT MRT, then its a no goer and I will have to look for a car closer to home in the Udon Thani area

pipoz
pipoz

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:20 am

pipoz wrote:But if the rule is that we both (Seller and her) have to be present in Udon Thani to sign the car over at the UT MRT, then its a no goer and I will have to look for a car closer to home in the Udon Thani area

When Geordie bought my wife's Issan truck at the MRT checking station and registered in his wife's name we managed to plead ignorance that my wife had to be there (as it was in her name) and they allowed us to transfer the truck over and then sent my wife the papers to sign. The fact that I knew the boss there and two "farangs" plus the sweet talking of Geordie's missus and the fact it had maximum insurance on it swayed the boss in our favour, but he said they normally wouldn't do it. There was also the fact that my wife's surname is the same as mine.
Normally though they baulk at doing it like that. It makes it harder for stolen cars to be flogged like that. But again it will depend on who the boss of the MRT checking station is. If it's still under 5 years old then it means the full MRT and they won't be so lenient or trusting....they like to check and make sure everything is done on the spot.
They also might not let you change the rego from Bangkok to Udon Thani until the old rego has expired.... When I had my old banger Peugeot that was registered in Sara Buri they made us wait until the rego had expired before we could put it over the pits again to have it registered in Bangkok..... then we sold it and my wife had to take a day off work to do it all. Just a warning, sometimes they will, sometimes they won't.
Roger Ramjet

Postby pipoz » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:19 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:
pipoz wrote:But if the rule is that we both (Seller and her) have to be present in Udon Thani to sign the car over at the UT MRT, then its a no goer and I will have to look for a car closer to home in the Udon Thani area

When Geordie bought my wife's Issan truck at the MRT checking station and registered in his wife's name we managed to plead ignorance that my wife had to be there (as it was in her name) and they allowed us to transfer the truck over and then sent my wife the papers to sign. The fact that I knew the boss there and two "farangs" plus the sweet talking of Geordie's missus and the fact it had maximum insurance on it swayed the boss in our favour, but he said they normally wouldn't do it. There was also the fact that my wife's surname is the same as mine.
Normally though they baulk at doing it like that. It makes it harder for stolen cars to be flogged like that. But again it will depend on who the boss of the MRT checking station is. If it's still under 5 years old then it means the full MRT and they won't be so lenient or trusting....they like to check and make sure everything is done on the spot.
They also might not let you change the rego from Bangkok to Udon Thani until the old rego has expired.... When I had my old banger Peugeot that was registered in Sara Buri they made us wait until the rego had expired before we could put it over the pits again to have it registered in Bangkok..... then we sold it and my wife had to take a day off work to do it all. Just a warning, sometimes they will, sometimes they won't.

Thanks and I will look around locally

pipoz
pipoz

Return to general