Obituary - Mike Judd

Any expat related issue or comment.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Obituary - Mike Judd

Postby MGV12 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:37 am

We have been requested by Mrs Judd to pass on the sad news of the passing of her husband Mike.

Apparently he felt unwell during his recent visit to Thailand and was hospitalised for a couple of days. He subsequently returned to Australia to renew his visa and whilst there passed away; on December 18th we believe. Cause of death is unknown to us currently, as are the funeral arrangements, but Mrs Judd has requested that members are informed of his passing and has promised to keep us informed; via 'Roger Ramjet' who conveyed the news to me.

Mike will be missed by many of us: his contributions were always positive and helpful, and despite his extensive personal experience, delivered with humility. His own build story viewtopic.php?t=2512 was followed by many; receiving nearly 20,000 views. Rest in peace Mike.

Condolences to his wife, family and friends.

Personal comments are welcome.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Re: Obituary

Postby fredlk » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:04 am

How sad.

May he rest in peace and my condolences to his family and loved ones.
fredlk

Postby schuimpge » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:51 pm

Very sad to hear that. My condolences to his wife, his family and friends.
Hope they'll find the strength and support to come to peace with this sad news.

Luc
schuimpge

Postby thailazer » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:56 pm

Shock to hear that. Condolences to the family. Always enjoyed the energy in his posts and he will be missed here.
thailazer

Postby olavhome » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:14 pm

Very sad, Did always read his posts and replies to other members with interest. Condolences to his family and friends . So sad he didnt get the chance to spend many years in his new house and enjoy the build. RIP.
olavhome

Postby olavhome » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:14 pm

Very sad, Did always read his posts and replies to other members with interest. Condolences to his family and friends . So sad he didnt get the chance to spend many years in his new house and enjoy the build. RIP.
olavhome

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:17 pm

I wish to apologise to all the members for the lack of details, but, as I am nearly deaf I have to pass on my phone to my daughter or wife to answer most of the calls. Mike was actually coming down to my house a couple of weeks ago when he beacame ill and had to be taken to hospital. He was kept in there for two days with extensive blood tests and no real diagnosis, other than he was old. When he was discharged he still didn't feel right, but had to travel back to Australia to get his retirement visa and tidy up some details.
Yesterday afternoon whilst shopping I received a call from Mrs. Judd informing me that Mike had passed away in Australia. My daughter answered the call for the reasons explained above and Mrs. Judd asked that I inform the members of his passing.
My wife is attempting to contact her but as yet without success. If anything else should transpire, like Mrs. Judd needing assistance or asking for anything at all, I shall post the details, however, I think she may have gone back to Australia to make all the funeral arrangements. He has a son and daughter in Australia.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:08 am

A further update and clarifications. Mike did not die in Australia, he died here in Thailand just before he left. Mike had had asthma for a long time and just used a woofer when needed. When he was admitted to hospital the first time for the extensive tests he informed them of that, but they still claimed it was old age.
Mike had an asthma attack just before he left and his wife took him back to the same hospital that had diagnosed him with "old age", where he had a massive heart attack and died.
At the moment she is receiving assistance from the Australian Embassy in filling out the paperwork.
His wife said that Mike was a wonderful husband and father to her two children.
She thanked everyone for their concern on this blog and she said she would like members, who are able to attend a "Merit Making" ceremony, sometime in April to attend if they could. There is no fixed date as yet but she will stay in touch with my wife and I will pass on the due date here.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Ians » Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:59 pm

So sad to hear of his passing, always a pleasure to read his post usually full of good advise.
Condolences to his family and friends - I am sure he will be missed by many people.
Please keep us up to date on the merit making ceremony or any other detail we can help with.
Ians

Postby sirineou » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:27 pm

That's a shocker , I had to read this twise and go to his building story to make sure I was thinking of the right person. Goes to show that non of as knows what tomorrow will bring. :(
A real nice guy, a bit old school, as old age tends to do to all of as, and though we often disagreed on our politics, and some times jumped on his case, about his political editorializing, he was never disagreeable about it and always in good nature. He was , and through his good advise that still lives in the pages of this forum,still is , a real asset and will be sorely missed.
The world is a worst place with out him, Rest in peace Mike
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby pipoz » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:19 pm

Really so sad, as he contributed so much to the Forum and was always ready to help others, with advice and his years of experience. It really is such a shame that Mike didn’t get the chance he deserved, to enjoy his retirement time in the place he loved and the house he built. Always remembered and never forgotten.

pipoz
pipoz

Postby MGV12 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:41 pm

pipoz wrote:Really so sad, as he contributed so much to the Forum and was always ready to help others
pipoz

Only member I ever recall to openly offer to buy tools etc in his home country and bring them over on his visits here; one member did do that on request from me and much appreciated. :)

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Re: Obituary - Mike Judd

Postby jomoblues » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:13 am

Very sad to learn of Mike's passing.

I was a beneficiary of Mike's immense knowledge and experience of building through the many contributions he made to my house build thread, and beyond that he was a very active contributor to CTH, offering wit and wisdom across a whole range of subjects. I always enjoyed reading his posts and looked upon him as a senior member of our community.

Truly a shock to me when I read this today.
Although I don't know his wife and family I offer my heartfelt and sincere condolences to them at this very difficult time.

Feels very strange. John.

P.S. I would be respectfully interested to learn of any further details deemed appropriate to share on CTH. May Mike Judd rest in peace.
jomoblues

Return to general