"god only knows"

Any expat related issue or comment.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

"god only knows"

Postby fredlk » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:06 am

For those of you who remember the 1960's there's a brilliant new clip from the good old Beeb at http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p027qc82/god-only-knows-bbc-music.
Detailed information at http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p027qc82.
fredlk

Re: "god only knows"

Postby fredlk » Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:39 am

fredlk wrote:For those of you who remember the 1960's there's a brilliant new clip from the good old Beeb at http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p027qc82/god-only-knows-bbc-music.
Detailed information at http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p027qc82.

fredlk

Postby MGV12 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:22 am

And back to the days when the originators were learning that lip-synching and looking casual was not that easy nor comfortable .......

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Mike Judd » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:36 am

I think this is the place to put this article as maybe "God only Knows" but perhaps one of our members has the ability to tell whether it is just a "beat up" although it wouldn't surprise me as there are numerous Town Clerks of local councils on half a mil salaries, and they don't provide half the little services they used to provide , more interested in collecting fines for parking or like the $600 one they tried to get from me for cutting a dead tree down on my own land( They said it was part of our native animal's habitat) I went to court and the Magistrate threw it out. :lol: :lol:

Subject: FW: Australia Post . GOOD READ
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2014 05:11:28 +0000

Crazy world.I can not see how CEOs are worth such high wages.They are only a figure head.

Recently Australia Post which is totally government owned and has been for 200 years, announced the loss of 900 jobs, being part of a cut back program. This is due to the decline in letters beings sent and that’s true as email has further reduced letter writing and in many ways understandably. A hand written letter is a wonderful thing and contains the hand writing of a friend or loved one and that’s a blessing plus the effort required to put pen to paper and then to post it. However a lot of mail is not so endearing and can be emailed and gets to its destination anywhere in the world almost instantly. No postage and no paper and no fuel used to drive to the mail box to post the letter. >From this view point I think technology has delivered a wonderful option with email. However there is more to the Post Office game than just this.

The CEO of Australia Post is Ahmed Fahour who was born in Lebanon and came to Australia in 1970. In 2009 he was made Managing Director and CEO of Australia Post. His salary package was estimated to be worth $4.8 million last year. Of this he donated about $2 million to the Islamic Museum of Australia located in Melbourne. I have a big problem with this fellow’s salary package and so let’s get some perspective here. The top ten executives in Australia Post combined earn around $20 million each year. That’s simply immoral and clearly the CEO can afford to give away nearly half his takings to an Islamic museum so he doesn’t need it and surprise, surprise, its tax deductable.

The founder and director of the museum is former Macquarie Bank executive Moustafa Fahour - Ahmed Fahour’s brother. Moustafa’s wife, Maysaa, is the chairwoman and director. The Fahours’ sister, Samira El Khafir, is head chef and manages the restaurant on site. How can the CEO of the Post Office earn so much especially when the postal service is bleeding money from letter delivery. No employee is worth 5 million a year and especially not from a government owned business.

The top federal public servants in Australia have salaries of between $665,600 and $844,800 so how does the bloke in charge of the Post Office received $4.8 million? The Prime Minister of Australia earns a modest $507,000 considering the real burdens of office while the CEO of the Gold Coast Council earning slightly less and that’s patently out of kilter with the PM’s package. The Mayor of GCCC brings in $225,000 so how on earth can the Post Office justify the massive pay of their CEO?.

Let’s look further; the head of the US postal service with 19 times more staff and 11 times more revenue than Australia Post receives $550,000. In France the head of their post office was paid $1.1 million with a staff compliment of 268,000 employees. What a country full of mugs we are to sit by and let all this happen. I would have run the big game of Post Office for a lot less and still done a reasonable job and in fact if the best of we seniors applied ourselves we could run the damn post office better and for nothing except a kiss and a free lunch now and again. You had better believe it too.

There is an unpleasant and some would say sinister unbalanced agenda in Australia which in the end preys on the average citizen, we the people. We are no longer the lucky country and we are no longer wealthy and this particular game of Post Office reveals major fractures and faults on a number fronts in our society and culture. Who is running the country, who is pulling the levers and who is going to win? We the Mugs need to know.
Until next time this is Kent BayleyOn 3 Jul 2014, at 3:53 pm, Jim Gundry <mailto:hombre@netconnect.com.au> wrote:

This is what can happen when C.E.Os. are paid obscenely excessive salaries.

If you can see any sense in this, please tell me
Australia posts gives $2,000,000 to Muslim museum and then sacks 900 workers.
Australia Post donates $2m to Islamic Museum of Australia

Mike Judd

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:00 pm

Mike,
The man is a toe-cutter (headhunter), he was put into that position to do what other CEO's (Managers) were scared to do, or told by the politicians not to do. The 900 positions he axed were redundant years ago when computers took over their jobs but the politicians made sure they had a job to keep their safe seats, safe. He may be unemployable for another 5 years after he leaves, but he should go to QANTAS from Australia Post and then onto the Public Service.
Who cares if he's a Muslim and where his parents came from. It's a beat-up by two far right wing DJs from Surfer's Paradise. You should hear what they have to say about homosexuals in the Army. And if you don't agree with what they say they'll threaten to ban you from their website. Next they'll want a computer crimes act like Thailand.....then for the Army, minus the homosexuals to take over.
Roger Ramjet

Postby fredlk » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:17 pm

"god only knows" why (some) Australians are such masters at deviation. Is it age?
We could start a topic on the Chinese space-program or Weetabix but for sure it will end up as a discussion about the Australian army.
fredlk

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:28 pm

fredlk wrote:"god only knows" why (some) Australians are such masters at deviation. Is it age?

The topic was "God only knows" why the CEO of Australia Post was being paid so much, to which I replied without snide off topic personal comments. As you have no personal experience in the Australian Army, Australia or Australian people I find that rather confusing and amusing.
There is a PM system here if you wish to attack someone personally, otherwise it's boring to just post snide comments about people and hope to get away with it, especially as you are no longer a moderator.
Roger Ramjet

Postby fredlk » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:32 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:
fredlk wrote:"god only knows" why (some) Australians are such masters at deviation. Is it age?

The topic was "God only knows" why the CEO of Australia Post was being paid so much, to which I replied without snide off topic personal comments. As you have no personal experience in the Australian Army, Australia or Australian people I find that rather confusing and amusing.
There is a PM system here if you wish to attack someone personally, otherwise it's boring to just post snide comments about people and hope to get away with it, especially as you are no longer a moderator.

It was not an attack, merely an observation.
fredlk

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:49 pm

fredlk wrote:It was not an attack, merely an observation.

Then it had nothing to do with the topic.
Roger Ramjet

Postby fredlk » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:58 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:
fredlk wrote:It was not an attack, merely an observation.

Then it had nothing to do with the topic.

Snap. :lol:
fredlk

Postby BKKBILL » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:00 pm

fredlk wrote:We could start a topic on Weetabix but for sure it will end up as a discussion about the Australian army.

Here you go Fred originally Australian and of course Bennison Osborne was in the army. :mrgreen:

Sorry sometimes I just can't help myself. :lol:

Weetabix is the English version of the original Australian Weet-Bix. Both Weet-Bix and Weetabix were invented by Bennison Osborne, an Australian. Weet-Bix was introduced in Australia through the company “Grain Products Limited” in the mid-1920s, with funding from businessman Arthur Shannon and marketing assistance from Osborne’s New Zealand friend Malcolm Macfarlane. To both Osborne’s and Macfarlane’s disappointment, Grain Products sold both its Australian company (in 1928) and then its New Zealand company (in 1930), to the Sanitarium Health Foods Company. Osborne and Macfarlane then went to South Africa where Arthur Shannon, the owner of Grain Products, funded another Weet-Bix factory. While in South Africa, Osborne modified his Weet-Bix recipe and with Macfarlane, obtained private funding and began the development of a new company, The British and African Cereal Company Limited, naming the new company's product, Weetabix. The company commenced business in England in 1932.

The cereal is manufactured in Burton Latimer, Northamptonshire, and in Canada exported to over 80 countries.[2] Weetabix for the North American market (Canada and the U.S) is manufactured in Cobourg, Ontario, in both organic and conventional versions.

According to Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weetabix
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby Mike Judd » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:05 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:Mike,
The man is a toe-cutter (headhunter), he was put into that position to do what other CEO's (Managers) were scared to do, or told by the politicians not to do. The 900 positions he axed were redundant years ago when computers took over their jobs but the politicians made sure they had a job to keep their safe seats, safe. He may be unemployable for another 5 years after he leaves, but he should go to QANTAS from Australia Post and then onto the Public Service.
Who cares if he's a Muslim and where his parents came from. It's a beat-up by two far right wing DJs from Surfer's Paradise. You should hear what they have to say about homosexuals in the Army. And if you don't agree with what they say they'll threaten to ban you from their website. Next they'll want a computer crimes act like Thailand.....then for the Army, minus the homosexuals to take over.

Maybe that's all correct, as the original post of mine seems to be when his name was Googled to check. But what I object to is paying him 4 mil for him to give 2mil to his brother running a non taxable organisation. I don't care if they are both Muslims (Although I worry about anybody who's mentality requires him to get on his knees 5 times a day facing some city in Saudi Arabia) :? :? Mind you I would sack as many as I was told if they gave me 4.4 mil.
Mike Judd

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:33 am

Mike Judd wrote:Maybe that's all correct, as the original post of mine seems to be when his name was Googled to check. But what I object to is paying him 4 mil for him to give 2mil to his brother running a non taxable organisation.

Mike,
What I object to is the fact he was needed to be hired in the first place. Think of all those Managers, (900) etc that sat there doing nothing for 15 years and justifying their position each year to their boss, the Australian Tax Payer and being allowed to continue working. I bet if I looked through some of the Government Audit Reports you could find where it was recommended that their positions be made redundant years ago, so why did their grossly overpaid bosses refuse to let them go.....and I would bet it was on orders from the politicians.
I think people should be able to give money to any place they liked otherwise you would end up with people not caring about others. I've given a few thousand over the last couple of years to what I thought were worthy causes and I'll continue to do so. Where would people be without arts and museums and history being looked after and where would the flood and fire victims get a fresh start from?
Roger Ramjet

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:28 am

I have a question that I've searched and searched for the answer but can't find.
This year the second rice crop was coming along nicely, in fact I walk along the edge of the fields every morning and night with my dogs, and this crop was going to be a bumper one.
Then to my amazement along came a man with a whipper snipper and cut the top of the rice back (including all the grain) to about 1 foot. It's grown back, but nowhere near the grain bearing uncut rice stems that were there originally. I asked my wife why they did that, but she has no idea. I got her to ask the next door neighbour but he just shrugged.
These rice paddies are all "commercially" sown and harvested. All the planting is done by spray machine, a little like a spreader from a three point linkage, but these are back packs and operate in the reverse of a vacuum cleaner. The rice is left on the ground for about a week until it germinates, then the paddies are flooded, drained and flooded. They spray the crop with insecticide once, then it's back to flooding and draining.
Then when the crop has taken root and stand about eighteen inches to two foot and is bearing rice grain, along they come with the whipper snipper and cut the tops off that bears all the grain. There are some less "tall" plants that also have rice growing, but they just cut everything back to one foot tall.
Now the rice has started to bear grain again, but not as prolifically as the first time so I can't see the reasoning behind this. They will harvest the crop in about a week or two weeks by harvester, but it will be nowhere near the crop size it was.
I've seen rice farms in Australia that they use boats to travel on, but I've never seen them cut the tops off nearly mature plants before.
Anyone know the reasoning behind this? I think it is a waste of a lot of the crop, especially the strongest plants that give the best yields.
Rice farming around here produces three crops a year. I suppose the farmers would spend a total of 10-20 days in the actual fields, the rest is just pumping water in and then draining it out.
Roger Ramjet

Return to general