Australian Rules Footy Chatzone

Any expat related issue or comment.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: Australian Rules Footy Chatzone

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:39 am

Andyfteeze wrote:What do we do for our fix of footy next year?

You can sit and warch Setanta Sports on UBC/True, all it shows is the rugby (both codes) all day and night. And V8 Supercars.
To get the Aussie Rules you need to get the ABC which takes a special satellite dish and translator box, but it's there, all you have to do is talk to your local satellite dish man. Plan for a lot of satellite cables running through your walls before you build. I ran 6.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Mike Judd » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:50 am

All is well in the Judd house hold this morning , what a great game last night with the Bunnies running over the top of Manly , we will forget the last 15 min. ?
Mike Judd

Re: Understanding [or misunderstanding] Australians

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:28 pm

Mike,
The wabbits finally made it. Congratulations. The Gladiator will be pleased, he might even smile.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Mike Judd » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:50 am

I suppose this is the right Post even though an entirely different game. But R.R. it was great watching the Bunnies last night ,even though they still only played for 60 min( 15min at the start and 5 min at the end was a worry) That they have a problem with their defence pattern in broken play is their only weakness that I can see. One thing that I notice after many years of just watching , is that teams don't seem to be able to lock the game up now days when they have a commanding lead, like they used to. But it made a good start to my week end . :D :D :D
Mike Judd

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Sep 27, 2014 9:01 am

Mike Judd wrote:I suppose this is the right Post even though an entirely different game.

I can never understand why people who wished to understand or musunderstand Australians would relegate us to the wrong code of footy thread, but I surmise they just don't want to understand Australians. A bit like a "foreigner" starting a thread about, say Queensland, then becoming an expert about Australia even though he doesn't live there and never has, but claims that's okay as his brother does. Anyway, I pleased you're pleased with the outcome. I'm sure Russell Crowe must have donned his gladiator gear at half time and threatened half of them with being fed to the lions if they failed this time.
The first 15 minutes (even sounds like an investigation into a murder case) their brains were like mashed potatoes until they rallied. I think they saw the "Gladiator" dressed in his kit, weilding his sword, pacing the owner's box and decided death on the field was a far better option than death in the areana, or dressing room at half-time.
A couple of "last" games played there, retirement and possible sin bin and some brilliant play by the new bloke/s, I wish they'd just be consistant and all those lazy buggers in the front row would work together for a change. "Their defence pattern in broken play": Are you referring to those Pommie forwards who refused/couldn't keep up and didn't know where they were at times? :D
Be nice to see them win the final after all these years, otherwise Russell will have to make a few more blockbuster movies to support them. It was not a great game, in fact it was not even a good game, it was a lucky game. I shall enjoy watching it again at leisure today, this time without having to watch the Ryder Cup at the same time.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Mike Judd » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:46 pm

Are you trying to have a Stir R.R. those Pommy Forwards made the hard yards ,(Tom and George) if they could only learn to "Offload " like their brother Sam, the Bunnies would have a trio of "Big Arties" :wink: :wink: Waiting another 5 hours to see who they play next week.
Mike Judd

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:53 pm

Mike Judd wrote:Are you trying to have a Stir R.R. those Pommy Forwards made the hard yards ,(Tom and George) if they could only learn to "Offload " like their brother Sam,

Not being on a first name basis with the three, I can just guess which ones they are after the dark skinned one. I did note though that two were not much use compared to the third who always seems to have a good game. Come on Mike you credit those two other Pommie bastard brothers with a few too many brain cells, especially as they rarely use any of them. You can't make yards when they are bound and determined to keep the ball to themselves and run into the forward pack of the opposition, no matter where that pack is on the field of play, which seems to be their philosophy to the game. I don't expect them to understand too much but "pass the bloody ball" is not that hard especially when they have wingers' winging and backs' backing.
I used to know three brothers like that, they were called "Yes, No and Maybe" and the only good one was the one that said "Yes" the whole time, the other two dithered or did nothing, other than drink a lot and neither of the last two were good for a 'shout' at the pub. Like trying to pull hens' teeth getting a beer out of either, which sums up your Pommie bastard brothers pretty much. It's a wonder they even learnt the words "forward" or "run" before they took the field....the other brother must have coached them for a week to even get that out of them.
Anyway, congratulations on making the final, now all you have to hope is they learn "pass the ball" before the big game.

For the AFL supporters the Hawks killed the Swans in the final.
Roger Ramjet

Re: Understanding [or misunderstanding] Australians

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:21 am

Mike,
Big day for your Wabbits. Will The Gladiator have to put on full leathers and pull his short sword at half time or not?
I'll watch it here on Setanta Sports.
Good luck.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:13 pm

This is totally off topic and has nothing to do with Aussie Rules Footy, but then that's why Understanding or misunderstanding Australiana thread was started, and there is still no understanding.
Setanta Sports carries all rugby (both codes) and Aussie V8 Super Car races 24 hours a day. It is available when you get True Visions satellite.... I forget which package.
Well done Mike your Wabbits won and Sam Burgess was annointed by Joyce Churchill, which he thoroughly deserved I might add. Great game with everything in it. And so the Wabbits return, even after banishment, which they never deserved in the first place.
Pity the politicians got in the act in the end, it ruined a great day, although the ARL could take a leaf out of the AFL on pre game entertainment.
P.S. Don't gush too much.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Mike Judd » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:01 pm

What can I say R.R. "my cup runneth over" I only wish I could personally congratulate every player ,but they will get plenty of that. But what a player that Sam Burgess is , talk about giving his all. Needless to say I really enjoyed the replay on Foxtel.
Mike Judd

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:07 pm

Mike Judd wrote:But what a player that Sam Burgess is , talk about giving his all.

I believe he's the first Brit to ever be annointed by Joyce Churchill. He claimed he was lost for words, but still managed to talk with a suspected broken cheek bone. It was a heck of a game and his try was pure class.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:11 pm

And here's what the man said who rebuilt the whole club from scratch: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-05/c ... in/5791722
Roger Ramjet

Postby Andyfteeze » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:03 am

Anyone want to enter into a discussion about AFL who actually DO PLAY Australian Rules Football? :D

For those who dont know. NRL , ARL, URL or what ever they call them selves are totally sidney/brisbane structures. Its called Thugby, oh sorry, Rugby. Their games are so popular, the middle of the pitch is a car park, lol. When a southern franchise pulled their pants down, they were stripped of all their premierships. Part of the sydney vs melbourne thing. Just have a listen to the contempt the commentators have for anything not Sydney. :lol:
Sorry to all the sydney folks here. This a misrepresentation of what I said. A total media beat up. I just love the Chickens. They are a great club. oooppppsssss. my bad. :D ( mercy, mercy, it was just too good to refuse........)

My team Carlton has cleared out the decks and has an influx of new talent. Can Malthouse bring this team to a premiership?
Essendon has all sorts of issues to deal with. Are they still dead ducks under Hird?
Andyfteeze

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:13 pm

Andyfteeze wrote:Anyone want to enter into a discussion about AFL who actually DO PLAY Australian Rules Football?

You're going to find it pretty hard to make-up a team over here. :D As I no longer play Aussie Rules I am ruled out by your statement. :D Do I qualify to comment about Aussie rules as my parents owned a house at 60 Carlton Street Carlton and I used to vocally support Essendon until James Hird took over as coach of the club.
You're getting into "it's your turn to buy the keg" area here.
Be careful what you say about rugby, you'll offend Mike and his Pommie forwards for the Wabbits. :D
Roger Ramjet

Postby Andyfteeze » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:41 pm

I meant that the Australian Football League actually play aussie rules football. :x s.
Expecting anyone to play is a long long bow :lol:
Andyfteeze

Previous

Return to general