Family cars other than minivans

Any expat related issue or comment.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: Family cars other than minivans

Postby pattayapope » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:52 am

vanda wrote:I didn't know there was a new Everest being launched

It was launched at the Bangkok motor show the other week, if you google New Ford Everest you can see what it looks like.

MGV12 wrote:Hi PP ... I have been looking at the Ranger [from a distance for now] and currently have a Hilux Vigo. Have also heard [media/fora] that its not quite a match for the Toyota ... as you actually own one where do you see the weaknesses?

I also have a fairly new Fortuner (9 months old) and I get better milage from the Fortuner (12 K\ltr) compared to the Ford (10.5 K/ltr), I guess I drive both about the same, I get up to speed fairly quickly (traffic permitting) but I don't generally speed to much :roll: I think the bigest thing I see which I don't like on the Ford is the center dash section which will not allow easy converstion to SAT Nav and blue tooth systems and it seems to hesitate when you pull away for a second or so but then picks up quite well. Also the lighter and aux sockets don't loose power when the ignition is switched off so my dash cam needs unplugging every time I stop which is a bit of a pain. If Toyota had a newer looking body shape I think I would of gone with a Toyota. :D
pattayapope

Postby vanda » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:50 am

From what i've heard there will be a new version of the Fortuner coming out soon, whether or not it will be called a Fortuner time will tell. It's supposedly meant to look very similar but cheaper in price.
vanda

Postby MGV12 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:26 pm

vanda wrote:From what i've heard there will be a new version of the Fortuner coming out soon, whether or not it will be called a Fortuner time will tell. It's supposedly meant to look very similar but cheaper in price.

If indeed this is the 2014 model then Toyota are going to continue to slip behind the competition ... it certainly isn't innovative for sure! From my experience in the automotive manufacturing industry ... a facelift at this time makes it obvious that there will be something completely new [in 2015] to coincide with ASEAN AEC.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby jomoblues » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:03 am

I have the Fortuner Navigator, purchased new in July 2013 and its exactly the same as the one on the promo video purporting to be new for 2014. Ok there's the supposed racing variant (TRS or something like that but they have no racing credential so I wonder why they bother?) that they could just about claim to be different---just the alloys, a bit of trim and the back end spoiler but that models been available for some time now so definitely not new.

That said, I'm pretty certain Toyota will hold on to market share even though there are some properly new models amongst the competition---Mazda MUX replacing the MU7 for example. I tested the Mazda and Mitsubishi before choosing the Fortuner, and I did worry a bit about the possibility of them introducing an 'all new model' almost immediately after spending Baht 1.5mil as its been around in essentially the same design for many years but I'm still of the opinion I made the right choice for me. I'm very pleased with performance, ride and comfort. My main disappointment is the navigator system, for instance if I look for supermarkets I get some Thai brands and all the ones in Singapore where I used to live but Tesco isn't an option---strange! Also the immigration office in Udon Thani (where I live) isn't listed but others are.

I think Vanda has chosen the Ford, which is also a good choice. Congratulations!
JoMo
jomoblues

Postby fredlk » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:37 am

jomoblues wrote:if I look for supermarkets I get some Thai brands and all the ones in Singapore where I used to live but Tesco isn't an option---strange!

On all gps-systems for Thailand they are listed as LOTUS.
fredlk

Postby fredlk » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:04 am

fredlk wrote:
jomoblues wrote:if I look for supermarkets I get some Thai brands and all the ones in Singapore where I used to live but Tesco isn't an option---strange!

On all gps-systems for Thailand they are listed as LOTUS.

I just checked on my 3 systems and the latest updates are calling them TESCO LOTUS. You might have old software installed.
If it's the same as I have installed in the Mazda, a Zulex or similar, then go to http://www.powermap.in.th to check for any updates.
fredlk

Postby jomoblues » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:17 am

What a plonker i am. I said Mazda when i meant Isuzu of course. Missus away so a bit too much Macallan last night me thinks.

Regarding my navigation. I'll check again as i asked toyota about software updates when i took the car in for 10k service but they had no idea whst i was talking about.

Jomo
jomoblues

Postby vanda » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:36 pm

Little update on the purchase of the car. We were originally told we didn't need a guarantor since we were putting a larger deposit on the car, and could pay off in installments no worries. Go to finalize everything today and the situation has suddenly changed. Since my partner doesn't have a job, they want a guarantor, apparently it can't be me, which I don't believe as I can get a loan from a bank for more money than what the car is worth by providing paperwork certified by the embassy. In any case they want to look at the chanote for the rice crops and for the house to use as collateral for the car. I'm not a fan of using such things as collateral for a car, for another home perhaps, just wondering if anyone has had similar issues or know of another way to go about it all?
vanda

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:27 am

vanda wrote:Little update on the purchase of the car. We were originally told we didn't need a guarantor since we were putting a larger deposit on the car, and could pay off in installments no worries. Go to finalize everything today and the situation has suddenly changed. Since my partner doesn't have a job, they want a guarantor, apparently it can't be me, which I don't believe as I can get a loan from a bank for more money than what the car is worth by providing paperwork certified by the embassy. In any case they want to look at the chanote for the rice crops and for the house to use as collateral for the car. I'm not a fan of using such things as collateral for a car, for another home perhaps, just wondering if anyone has had similar issues or know of another way to go about it all?

They are totally correct in what they are doing, your wife has no visable income so they are protecting themselves in the event you leave. They are also protecting you and your wife from investigation from Immigration. It's a very long and complex issue but the nitty gritty of it is that Immigration can confiscate certain possessions in your wife's name that you paid for.
My wife was threatened with an audit by Immigration at one stage, but that fell through when they found out where she worked (BMW), and the fact she was their senior accountant and could more than pay for everything. It's all about the Thai mentality that all farangs marry bar girls and the bar girls are acting above their station in life.
Roger Ramjet

Postby vanda » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:31 am

Cheers for the info RR. I think we might be ok as we now have a government employee as a guarantor and the rice plots as collateral. Bit of a muck around, but if they can't finalize it now I'll just put off buying a car until later this year and pay for it out right. Just means the house is put on hold again.
vanda

Postby MGV12 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:55 am

MGV12 wrote:From my experience in the automotive manufacturing industry ... a facelift at this time makes it obvious that there will be something completely new [in 2015] to coincide with ASEAN AEC.

If this 'concept' results in the 2015 next-generation Hilux ... whatever the dynamics .. it sure looks to be an acquired-taste from a styling perspective.

Maybe Sylvester Stallone was on the design team :P

maxresdefault.jpg

http://carsrelease2014-2015.com/2015-toyota-hilux/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby vanda » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:19 pm

That is indeed a Beefcaked Toyota! Well, we finally got the vehicle after much tedious paperwork, too bad I'm already back at work and couldn't go to pick it up myself. Here are photos of the vehicle, you may notice the white trim above the windows, yeh that's not going to stay! Not only do I find it tacky, but it obstructs my view when I look sideways at intersections, as we had the same thing on the last vehicle and had to duck my head everytime I had to look for traffic. I'll be back in Thailand when my son is due to be born around early August and will finally get to take it for a good drive.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vanda

Postby Destruction Del » Wed May 07, 2014 12:35 pm

sirineou wrote:
Sometimewoodworker wrote:
sirineou wrote:First let me say that car prices in Thailand are ridiculously high,I know the reason, taxes, but non the less they are ridiculously expensive. I am from the US and I am used to paying a certain amount for a vehicle,.

IMO
It depends on what vehicle you want to buy...
In 2005 I paid £14,000 (US$22,000) for my Fortuner (Voted the most aggressively driven car in Thailand!) and I thought that was a pretty good price for what you get. It's just turned 125k KM and still going strong with no big issues.

I would love a BMW and agree with you there Sirineou that "Imported hi-end" cars in Thailand are ridiculously priced here... Nearly 3 times the price of the UK if it's an M model !

Could you imagine what the roads would be like in Isaan if cars were cheap enough for every family to have one, two or three cars... OMG!
Destruction Del

Postby gliffaes » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:26 pm

MGV12 wrote:
MGV12 wrote:From my experience in the automotive manufacturing industry ... a facelift at this time makes it obvious that there will be something completely new [in 2015] to coincide with ASEAN AEC.

If this 'concept' results in the 2015 next-generation Hilux ... whatever the dynamics .. it sure looks to be an acquired-taste from a styling perspective.

Maybe Sylvester Stallone was on the design team :P

maxresdefault.jpg

http://carsrelease2014-2015.com/2015-toyota-hilux/

id say Stevie Wonder :shock:
gliffaes

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:20 pm

MGV12 wrote:Maybe Sylvester Stallone was on the design team

Come on MGV12, at 5 foot 9 inches tall, and I think that's in platform shoes, Sly would need a ladder to climb in that ute.
Roger Ramjet

Previous

Return to general