"Retirement" visa

Any expat related issue or comment.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: "Retirement" visa

Postby pipoz » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:38 am

fredlk wrote:
pipoz wrote:Anybody who pays more that 50,000 TB per month, to rent an Apartment is trying to live a life he/she cant afford, or he has someone else paying the Bills

Some of us are just rich. :lol:


And some of us are just Wise and some of us become Landlords instead of Tenants :P :lol:
User avatar
pipoz
 
Posts: 1915
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:41 pm
Location: Udon Thani Sometimes

Re: "Retirement" visa

Postby BKKBILL » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:41 pm

pipoz wrote:
fredlk wrote:
pipoz wrote:Anybody who pays more that 50,000 TB per month, to rent an Apartment is trying to live a life he/she cant afford, or he has someone else paying the Bills

Some of us are just rich.


And some of us are just Wise and some of us become Landlords instead of Tenants :P :lol:

And then there are others who can actually complete their builds in under 200 pages. :wink:
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
User avatar
BKKBILL
 
Posts: 2946
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 10:05 pm
Location: Mae Taeng, Chiang Mai

Re: "Retirement" visa

Postby fredlk » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:55 pm

BKKBILL wrote:And then there are others who can actually complete their builds in under 200 pages. :wink:

There are those with a lot to tell about a huge project and others who let the story die on page 5 with some lame excuse. :wink:
User avatar
fredlk
 
Posts: 5879
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:11 pm

Re: "Retirement" visa

Postby BKKBILL » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:04 pm

fredlk wrote:
BKKBILL wrote:And then there are others who can actually complete their builds in under 200 pages. :wink:

There are those with a lot to tell about a huge project and others who let the story die on page 5 with some lame excuse. :wink:

:wink: narcissism |ˈnärsəˌsizəm| :wink:
noun
excessive or erotic interest in oneself and one's physical appearance.
• Psychology extreme selfishness, with a grandiose view of one's own talents and a craving for admiration, as characterizing a personality type.
• Psychoanalysis self-centeredness arising from failure to distinguish the self from external objects, either in very young babies or as a feature of mental disorder.
DERIVATIVES
narcissist |ˈnärsəsəst|noun
ORIGIN early 19th cent.: via Latin from the Greek name Narkissos (see Narcissus) + -ism. :wink:

Obviously someone "didn't see the wink", not sure what that means exactly but it was posted quite awhile back by you. :mrgreen:
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
User avatar
BKKBILL
 
Posts: 2946
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 10:05 pm
Location: Mae Taeng, Chiang Mai

Re: "Retirement" visa

Postby BKKBILL » Tue May 13, 2014 7:07 am

For those who don't read the Bangkok Post.


Thai immigration clamps down on visa runs
Published: 12/05/2014 at 05:36 PM
Online news:

Immigration police have announced they are clamping down on tourists who remain illegally in Thailand by exploiting permission given to many foreigners to enter Thailand without a visa and remain up to 30 days at a time.

The clampdown does not affect holders of non-immigrant visas or holders of tourist visas who still have remaining entries permitted on their legal visas.

The crackdown aims at foreign visitors, particularly westerners, who do not hold a visa, but who exit and then immediately return to Thailand every 15 or 30 days to receive another stamp to extend their stay. A loophole aimed at helping short-term visitors allows foreigners from many countries to enter Thailand for between 15 and 30 days without a visa.

Effectively immediately, immigration officers at the borders may bar foreigners without a visa when they leave the country, usually at a land border point, and then immediately try to re-enter Thailand. The law permits immigration officers to give such travellers permission to re-enter for 15 to 30 days, or to deny them permission to enter.

Under the new rules, visitors who leave and then try to come back immediately may be stopped, and told they must first obtain a proper tourist or non-immigrant visa, and then return.

As of now, "visa runs", as many foreigners call them even though no visas are actually involved, will end for those using land borders. They will also be restricted or ended by air as of Aug 12.

Tourists of all nationalities are being checked thoroughly at all borderpoints for visa validity, said Pol Maj Gen Chatichai Iam-saeng commander of the Immigration Bureau.

The "visa run" is not in line with the intent of tourism promotion and the National Police recently ordered a review of the regulation. The number of visitors who effectively reside in Thailand on the back of such visa runs is not known, but many communicate via internet forums, and there seem to be a large number. Typically, they have stayed in Thailand to retire, or even to work, both of which are illegal without proper visas.

Officials at border points will use their discretion on a case-by-case basis.

If a re-entry is made once or twice, a foreigner may be allowed to re-enter Thailand. But if he has done so multiple times, he may need to be interrogated, the officer said.

Foreigners who cannot convince officials they are tourists will be advised to apply for a proper Thai visa if they wish to remain in the country.

"They can do so in neighbouring countries. The closest is Vientiane, which will cost them 1900 baht. We're strict about this because 90% of all foreigners making re-entries actually work in Thailand, mainly as language instructors.

"It will also prevent corruption as there are officials who claim they could help these foreigners.

"Today we found a South Korean who has done this seven times. It turns out he has a Thai wife in Nakhon Ratchasima. In his case, we didn't allow him to re-enter because he is not a tourist," Pol Maj Gen Chatchai said.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
User avatar
BKKBILL
 
Posts: 2946
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 10:05 pm
Location: Mae Taeng, Chiang Mai

Re: "Retirement" visa

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Tue May 13, 2014 8:30 am

Also a Russian http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/725414-russian-denied-entry-at-phuket-international-airport-over-visa-crackdown/page-7 it turns out that she is working in Thailand illegally, though immigration didn't know that, and was stupid and arrogant. Didn't have a return ticket or the required ฿20,000 and argued with the immigration officer. She was lucky that they didn't deport her to Russia and let her go to KL instead. Also it has nothing to do with the tightening of the enforcing of the visa rules, but it is interesting reading anyway http://th.linkedin.com/pub/mariia-sgibneva/94/710/530
Sometimewoodworker
 
Posts: 1851
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:22 pm
Location: Non Sa-At / Tokyo

Re: "Retirement" visa

Postby unclezillion » Wed May 14, 2014 1:09 pm

Everyone is aware of the rules and aware that they may be implemented arbitrarily depending on the mood of whoever is on duty. Like most things you have to work on the principle that corruption and xenophobia are the main reasons anything official gets implemented. Cover your backsides and take the decision out of any bored or corrupt low level bureaucrat!
User avatar
unclezillion
 
Posts: 247
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:33 pm

Re: "Retirement" visa

Postby BKKBILL » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:58 pm

Just noticed this one.

Foreigners 'May Soon be Able to do 90-Day Reports at 7-Eleven Stores

http://www.chiangmaicitynews.com/news.php?id=4557

<link corrected - mod>
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
User avatar
BKKBILL
 
Posts: 2946
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 10:05 pm
Location: Mae Taeng, Chiang Mai

Re: "Retirement" visa

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:19 pm

Just a word of warning. This morning I picked up my new Aussie passport and duly reported to Thai immigration at Nontharburi to have the Retirement Visa transfered from the old passport to the new one. At the embassy they "cancelled" my old passport by cutting the "barcode" off the front page and also cut the front cover by 1/3rd. The Thai lady at the Consulate also stamped the second page with "This passport has been cancelled and replaced by passport number ............. Any valid visas in this passport remain valid. Australian Embassy Bangkok and their seal over the whole thing. She also told me that would solve any problems I could encounter at Immigration. In two words; Pig's Tit.
Nontharburi Immigration seems to get its fair share of dolts working for it. The IO on that desk demanded I go back to the Australian embassy and get a letter stating my passport has been cancelled. Just to be even more difficult he made me call my daughter inside then demanded she get photocopies of every page of the old one before she drove me back to the embassy. I pointed out the stamp. He demanded I get all the pages of the new passport copied at the same time. And then in walked the Immigration Major General with his English speaking aide who is a Major. Bedlam ensued when I showed the Aide the stamp and also told him about the request for all the pages to be copied. I just sat back and watched people wah each other and two rather beautiful female Captains give lectures about Australian passports and agreements. The stamp they put in your passport is good. There is no need for a letter.
So the fat IO gained revenge, he just went to lunch for an hour. As my daughter had to leave for college I stayed and being who I am, plotted and planned. Then I ambushed the Major again and explained I had now been there for 2 1/2 hours for two simple stamps to be inserted in my new passport and their work ethic chart said it took just 10 minutes and 10 minutes respectively. I also had him explain to her "Arjarn" (teacher) over the phone why she might be late and also asked if he could order a taxi for me at say 1.20pm, which would give them the required 20 minutes by their chart to get everything in order in my new passport. And you bet it was. And the nicest looking female Captain even had a taxi waiting at the door when I left.
There's only one problem with all this revenge. I have to renew my Retirement Visa at the end of December and the IO and his one eyed offsider are the two who do that. I wonder what is instore.
User avatar
Roger Ramjet
 
Posts: 5284
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:55 pm

Re: "Retirement" visa

Postby MGV12 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:39 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:Just a word of warning. This morning I picked up my new Aussie passport and duly reported to Thai immigration at Nontharburi to have the Retirement Visa transfered from the old passport to the new one. At the embassy they "cancelled" my old passport by cutting the "barcode" off the front page and also cut the front cover by 1/3rd. The Thai lady at the Consulate also stamped the second page with "This passport has been cancelled and replaced by passport number ............. Any valid visas in this passport remain valid. Australian Embassy Bangkok and their seal over the whole thing. She also told me that would solve any problems I could encounter at Immigration. In two words; Pig's Tit.
Nontharburi Immigration seems to get its fair share of dolts working for it. The IO on that desk demanded I go back to the Australian embassy and get a letter stating my passport has been cancelled. Just to be even more difficult he made me call my daughter inside then demanded she get photocopies of every page of the old one before she drove me back to the embassy. I pointed out the stamp. He demanded I get all the pages of the new passport copied at the same time. And then in walked the Immigration Major General with his English speaking aide who is a Major. Bedlam ensued when I showed the Aide the stamp and also told him about the request for all the pages to be copied. I just sat back and watched people wah each other and two rather beautiful female Captains give lectures about Australian passports and agreements. The stamp they put in your passport is good. There is no need for a letter.
So the fat IO gained revenge, he just went to lunch for an hour. As my daughter had to leave for college I stayed and being who I am, plotted and planned. Then I ambushed the Major again and explained I had now been there for 2 1/2 hours for two simple stamps to be inserted in my new passport and their work ethic chart said it took just 10 minutes and 10 minutes respectively. I also had him explain to her "Arjarn" (teacher) over the phone why she might be late and also asked if he could order a taxi for me at say 1.20pm, which would give them the required 20 minutes by their chart to get everything in order in my new passport. And you bet it was. And the nicest looking female Captain even had a taxi waiting at the door when I left.
There's only one problem with all this revenge. I have to renew my Retirement Visa at the end of December and the IO and his one eyed offsider are the two who do that. I wonder what is instore.


Oh Roger ....

Oh_Roger__we__re_not_alone_by_IndianaFan.jpg


... how do you manage to have so many more enthralling stories than the rest of us?

Maybe Jessica could have helped .....

disney20jessica20rabbit.jpg


.... think she could help many a man with his needs!

Roll on the next episode in December :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
User avatar
MGV12
 
Posts: 5350
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:23 pm
Location: Chiang Mai

Re: "Retirement" visa

Postby BKKBILL » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:11 pm

RR,

I know you were enjoying that as I was.

It may work in your favor come December, or not. :mrgreen:
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
User avatar
BKKBILL
 
Posts: 2946
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 10:05 pm
Location: Mae Taeng, Chiang Mai

Re: "Retirement" visa

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:28 pm

BKKBILL wrote:I know you were enjoying that as I was.

It may work in your favor come December, or not.

I like to keep the bastards honest after all these years of bastardry they've tried to inflict on me. They like preying on their lack of English signs and language skills by being vindictive and vicious in their "quest" to make life as hard as possible for their own pleasure. After my previous run-in with the one-eyed bastard, where he threatened to audit my wife (over the phone) before he knew she was working at BMW as their senior accountant and tried to get 30,000 baht out of me for his error (he had no rubber stamp for the retirement visa) and luckily I had a witness, I swore black and blue I would not put-up with their "made up rules as they go along" and now I question everything, especially when it sounds like bullshit to me.
Previously some faults could be lade at the feet of the ignorance of the Australian Embassy staff but not anymore as there is a drama on Australian TV called The Embassy and is filmed in Thailand. Also the fact that the Embassy is charging exorbitant fees for their services now plays a role, and with cell phones a quick phone call away will save you hours, unless of course the head honcho just happens to walk in on an inspection. And not only did he talk to his staff he talked to the "customers" as well. His aide, the information officer, a Major, also has his e mail address and mobile number posted on all the notice boards and far outranks the flunkies who have had far too much "power" for too long.
I actually had my financial statement from the Australian Government and a Statutory Declaration with me, just in case they demanded them, so I made sure I showed them to the Major and asked if that was all that was required right in front of the one-eyed bastard, just to lay the ground work for the next visit. I think it should be pleasant, especially as he always arrives late and I might just be able to slip it to the lady I gave a box of chocolates to who arrives early and does half the work before the other two sadists arrive.
Of the five "cases" they saw before me all were sitting waiting during the lunch hour to complete their paperwork after the IO's returned. That makes some of them being screwed around for over three hours just to get a new stamp or new 90 day extention slip put in their passports, when it's advertised as 10 minutes. Talk about "inactive posts", these take the cake.
We shall see, but I think I have the upper hand at this stage.
User avatar
Roger Ramjet
 
Posts: 5284
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:55 pm

Re: "Retirement" visa

Postby BKKBILL » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:26 am

You may well have the upper hand for the next visit but don’t get too cocky those folk have long memories and lots of time. With the rules always changing you may be waiting well after lunch.

For my next visa extension have my computer calendar reminder set so a booking time in my favour can be made via internet. CMX immigration can book-up by nine thirty after that it’s come tomorrow. That and not being able to find parking makes for a bad start of the day.

The stupid 90 day report normally goes well, but then how hard it it to sign a filled out sheet of paper. In BKK I did that one by mail.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
User avatar
BKKBILL
 
Posts: 2946
Joined: Tue May 26, 2009 10:05 pm
Location: Mae Taeng, Chiang Mai

Previous

Return to general

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest