"Retirement" visa

Any expat related issue or comment.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: "Retirement" visa

Postby Mike Judd » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:28 pm

I might as well add Oz to the hard list. We tried 3 times to get my partner's brother into Oz for a 3month holiday , just wanted to give him a trip for all the work he has done on our house in Khon Kaen, hopeless ! The last time we went through an Agent in Sydney, $500 but the same result, no ! they didn't think he would return even though he had a 4 year old son and an invalid wife in his own fairly new house back in Thailand. We gave up then even though I had guaranteed his place of residence and return. It doesn't seem fair that we can go anytime into Thailand for 1 month without any visas and yet they can't.
Mike Judd

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:48 pm

Mike Judd wrote:I might as well add Oz to the hard list. We tried 3 times to get my partner's brother into Oz for a 3month holiday ,

Mike,
People with little money do not go on three month's holidays in Australia, especially from Thailand. If you had made it a week's holiday, with you as guarantor, I'm sure it would have been approved once the return air line tickets were submitted.
Roger Ramjet

Postby sirineou » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:04 am

Shastadad wrote:
sirineou wrote:How can it be a retirement visa, and be only good for one year? who in the world retires for only one year?
and then you decide
hey I like this retirement thing, I guess I am not going back to work,I will extend it for an other year , give it a chance she how it goes. TIT
If my wife can come here in the US and because she is married to me. get a Permanent resident status, why can't I come to Thailand and because I am married to my wife get a permanent resident status?

Because it is really not a Retirement Visa, it is just incorrectly called a Retirement visa by the uninformed. It you get it out of the country it is called an O visa (for support of a spouse or child) or a O-A visa (long stay) and while in Thailand it is called an extension of stay. So nowhere is it legally called a retirement visa

Just be grateful that the Thais don't make you jump through the same hoops as the US does for Thais, because if they did, 90% of us would not be here legally

actually the US If you are married to and American citizen, the visa process is quite straight forward,
My then fiance applied, for a fiance visa to come to the US, we did all the paperwork out selves, a year later she arrived in the US, we got legally married there, and applied for a change of status, a few months later she had her 2 year green card, and Social Security Number. Before the two years were over, we applied for her permanent Green card, but by the time she got it, it had being 3 years she lived in the US and was entitled to apply for Citizenship. The citizenship process took about about 3 months, and now in less than 4 years in the US, she an American citizen, all for less than $3,000 usd in fees. :D The problem with Tourist Visas is that so many people abuse them to circumvent the normal process of migrating there, that it makes it difficult for people with legitimate reasons to get a Tourist visa.
I don't see why the same could not be available in Thailand, if married to a Thai citizen you should be able to apply for residency, to be with your Husband or wife. Now the argument would be that if that was available, then people would be marrying Thai citizens simply to gain permanent status there. But the same argument exists in the US, that's why there are safeguards.
Any way, I find the Visa process in Thailand very difficult, I am sure there other countries that are even worst, but that does not make me feel any better :lol:
I get a headache just reading about it, I am sure it sounds a lot worst than it is, I geniuses like MGV can do it, then it cant be that hard :lol:
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby MGV12 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:10 am

sirineou wrote:geniuses like MGV can do it, then it cant be that hard :lol:

Genius.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Shastadad » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:00 am

fredlk wrote:
Sometimewoodworker wrote:If you think Thailand is restrictive on permanent resident status and citizenship try Japan :D :D :D

.... or The Netherlands. Even getting into that country for a short visit can prove impossible for many a Thai citizen.

Not only Thais

My first choice was to retire in the Netherlands but that idea was quashed when Dutch Immigration informed me that there were no provisions for Americans to retire there. I would be required to leave after 90 days on entry via a tourist visa and had to remain out of the Netherlands 90 days before I could come back. No reasonable way to do it illegally since for any type of service (phone, electricity, Internet, TV) required you to have a Residency Permit, unavailable on a Tourist Visa
Shastadad

Postby sirineou » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:04 am

MGV12 wrote:
sirineou wrote:geniuses like MGV can do it, then it cant be that hard :lol:

Genius.jpg

That's only true for regular geniuses like Albert, not for F#*n Geniuses like me. :mrgreen:
sirineou

Postby fredlk » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:27 am

Shastadad wrote:My first choice was to retire in the Netherlands but that idea was quashed when Dutch Immigration informed me that there were no provisions for Americans to retire there.

Not without reason that it's now known as Fortress Europe.
For some hundreds of thousands of Dollars I hear one can buy a (legal) Bulgarian passport which gives one the right to live anywhere in Europe.
Malta and Portugal have similar schemes but that runs in the millions of Dollars.
fredlk

Postby Mike Judd » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:40 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:
Mike Judd wrote:I might as well add Oz to the hard list. We tried 3 times to get my partner's brother into Oz for a 3month holiday ,

Mike,
People with little money do not go on three month's holidays in Australia, especially from Thailand. If you had made it a week's holiday, with you as guarantor, I'm sure it would have been approved once the return air line tickets were submitted.

I just went for the 3 month visa as that is the norm as I understood, and I made it pretty clear that I was paying and supporting him for the trip in return for all the help and work he had done for us over the years. Not the free spending Tourist that most countries (including Oz ) want I suppose. Once we had made one application it wouldn't have been wise to change the details from the original for the next two applications. I made it clear that I was guranteeing he didn't turn left out of Mascot on arrival, instead of right and dissopearing into the blue.Which anyone can do whether he is on a days visit or a year if that is their intention. I just find it strange that the Thai government doesn't demand equal rights from Australia for their citizens, there's enough Farangs that come into Thailand and over stay for what ever reasons.
Mike Judd

Postby fredlk » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:13 am

sirineou wrote:I find the Visa process in Thailand very difficult

It's actually very simple. The only requirement is a foreign income of a minimum 65,000 Baht per month or 800,000 Baht fixed in the bank for 3 months. Half of that if you're married.
The paperwork is a bit more complicated but only involves getting and copying the right documents.
fredlk

Postby sirineou » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:04 am

fredlk wrote:
sirineou wrote:I find the Visa process in Thailand very difficult

It's actually very simple. The only requirement is a foreign income of a minimum 65,000 Baht per month or 800,000 Baht fixed in the bank for 3 months. Half of that if you're married.
The paperwork is a bit more complicated but only involves getting and copying the right documents.

Yea, not so much difficult as it is a hustle. I dont understand the 400,000 bht in the bank for 3 months id you are married to a Thai which most of as are. If you need an extension every year you would need to show that amount every year,
Am I correct?
So if that's the case what do you do take the money out for 9 months and then put it back in again? Anyway 400,000, bht is not a lot of money, but I would not like to keep it in a bank, where the interest does not even keep track with inflation.
Is it 400,000 bht in the bank, or is 400,000 bht of income per year, or 65,000 baht a year, or a combination of both. I would like to get a marriage visa, so that I have the capacity to work if got bored. perhaps teach English, Just as soon as I learn some my self :lol: )
And then there is the issue of Leaving the country, I like the opportunity to travel,always wanted to see Australia,
probably travel outside the country at least once a year, probably more,I have my family in the US but also have family in Greece, and Italy, since I would have the time, I would like to visit them more.
would I need to manage multiple re-entry visas,
You see where I am going with this, so much confusion about this issue in my mind and I am not the only one,
Any way, I am sure all these issues will be resolved when I start doing it. Just like every one else. :)
sirineou

Postby fredlk » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:18 am

sirineou wrote:I dont understand the 400,000 bht in the bank for 3 months id you are married to a Thai which most of as are.

... and some of us aren't.
sirineou wrote:If you need an extension every year you would need to show that amount every year,
Am I correct?

Yes.
sirineou wrote: take the money out for 9 months and then put it back in again?

The money has to have come from a foreign source, i.e. from outside Thailand.
sirineou wrote:Is it 400,000 bht in the bank, or is 400,000 bht of income per year, or 65,000 baht a year, or a combination of both.

It's either a combination of both or one or the other.
sirineou wrote:I would like to get a marriage visa, so that I have the capacity to work if got bored.

Then you will need a work permit which has nothing to do with a visa based on your marriage. That's a whole other kettle of fish.
sirineou wrote:would I need to manage multiple re-entry visas,

It's not a visa but a re-entry permit.
fredlk

Postby pipoz » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:05 pm

Thanks for the responses

My understanding is that buy purchasing a Apartment and so having an address, it replaces the need for me to prove the TB 800,000 balance in a Thai Bank when I first apply for the visa to live in Thailand and at every year thereafter when I renew whatever Visa type I am entitled to. Whether it replaces the need to demonstrate a monthly income of Tb 65,000 as well, I doubt

My understanding is that by owning an Apartment, I automatically get the right to right to have a Bank Account,a Driver License and also Register a Vehicle in y name.

I am sure the rules will probably change over the next few years before I actually make it a permanent home

pipoz
pipoz

Postby fredlk » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:27 pm

pipoz wrote:My understanding is that buy purchasing a Apartment and so having an address, it replaces the need for me to prove the TB 800,000 balance in a Thai Bank

According to the immigration rules, there is always the need of proof of income. Nowhere does it mention a property replacing this stipulation.
pipoz wrote:My understanding is that by owning an Apartment, I automatically get the right to right to have a Bank Account,a Driver License and also Register a Vehicle in y name.

Never heard of that one either.
On opening a bank account one usually needs to show a valid visa with extension of stay granted.
For a drivers licence one needs to show a valid foreign licence plus proof of address which is either a yellow house book or a letter from immigration.
For the registration of a vehicle one again needs either a yellow house book or a letter from immigration.
The letter from immigration one receives after showing one's valid visa and a utility bill showing one's name and address.
fredlk

Postby pipoz » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:11 pm

fredlk wrote:
pipoz wrote:My understanding is that buy purchasing a Apartment and so having an address, it replaces the need for me to prove the TB 800,000 balance in a Thai Bank

According to the immigration rules, there is always the need of proof of income. Nowhere does it mention a property replacing this stipulation.
pipoz wrote:My understanding is that by owning an Apartment, I automatically get the right to right to have a Bank Account,a Driver License and also Register a Vehicle in y name.

Never heard of that one either.
On opening a bank account one usually needs to show a valid visa with extension of stay granted.
For a drivers licence one needs to show a valid foreign licence plus proof of address which is either a yellow house book or a letter from immigration.
For the registration of a vehicle one again needs either a yellow house book or a letter from immigration.
The letter from immigration one receives after showing one's valid visa and a utility bill showing one's name and address.

The TB 800,000 is money normally to be kept in the bank, from what I have seen in this post. I expect that even with the Apartment in my name that I will still need to show that I have a monthly income of TB 65,000 each year when I got to renew. This is not in question, as I know I must prove this.

What I am saying is that with Title to an Apartment in my name, I may not need show or prove that I maintain a Thai Bank Balance of minimum TB 800,000, although I am ready to be correct on this aspect.

I have a Colleague working with me, who has bought two Apartment in Bangkok over the past three years, actually three apartments because he recently sold one. After he bought the first Apartment, he automatically got the right to have/open a Bank Account, so he opened two, with different banks. He then and got his Thai Driver License and also went and Registered his Harley in his name. Yes he has his Utility Bills from one of his Apartment and yes he has his old but current Driving License from NZ and yes he has a Green book for his Harley.

I myself went an opened a Bank Account in Thailand (with a certain Bank) last year. I just walked into the bank with my TG, just showed the Bank Manager my Passport and Overseas Residency Visa and 5000 US (I did not offer any proof of address in Thailand, or any proof of utility bills and and did not have any Thai type visa).

Some 20 min later I had my Bank Account open with Bank Passbook and an ATM Card. The next trip I arranged my Cyber Banking Account set up and have been using it for three months from her without a glitch. All sweet.

Regards

pipoz
pipoz

Postby MGV12 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:39 pm

fredlk wrote:According to the immigration rules, there is always the need of proof of income. Nowhere does it mention a property replacing this stipulation.

About bloody time it did!!! As you will be aware you can own a house but not freehold the bit of dirt it rests upon. In owning your 'castle' you are not needing to pay rent for a place to live ... many pay 20-30K and higher in rent which is one reason the 65K income requirement is obviously arbitrary ... another being that the cost of living in a rural village in Isaan is a mere fraction of that in Phuket; for example.

pipoz wrote:
The TB 800,000 is money in the bank, I expect that even with the Apartment I will still need to show that I have a monthly income of TB 65,000. This is not in question, as I know I must prove this. What I am saying is that with Title to an Apartment in my name, I my not need to maintain a Thai Bank Balance of minimum Tb 800,000 although I am ready to be correct on this aspect.

Regards

pipoz

You never have been required to show both the income and the money in the bank. It's either 800K seasoned or a 65K monthly income [or a combination of the two to the equivalent of 800K] 400K or 40K/month if married to a lovely Thai lady . Owning a condo [or anything else at this time] will not give you any different a position in that regard.

As for the other stuff ... I did them all when I first arrived with a property rental agreement; with a Vigo not a Harley :mrgreen: .

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

PreviousNext

Return to general