"Retirement" visa

Any expat related issue or comment.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: "Retirement" visa

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:34 pm

Mike Judd wrote:Thanks Guys ! the extension one or two days should do it.

Mike,
Do not go down that path of one or two days, you must extend for 30 days, that's what the form says and that's what you extend for. Immigration Officers are authorised to extend for 30 days, not one or two days because that will confuse them, piss them off and then things get difficult. I was stranded in Hat Yai with two Scottish girls who wanted to extend their visas "one or two days" and luckily, after two hours of trying to understand what they wanted I got them 30 day extensions, but boy they pissed off some Immigration Officers in the process.
The fee is 500 baht for the extension and you keep a clean passport without all the naughty stamps in it. Just fill in the 30 extension, paste a photo.... do not forget the photo, hand over the monay and smile as you do it.
Roger Ramjet

Postby sirineou » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:35 pm

MGV12 wrote:
sirineou wrote:How much does it cost to get an extension?

Depends on the Immigration office you come under ... they have flexibility [ :roll: ] over the fee level for many of their services.

The reason I ask is because , there is no overstay penalty fee for the first overstay day,and then it is only 500 bht per day, (at least that's my understanding)
I overstayed by one day once, and nobody even said anything to my at the airport.
So if the fees and trouble of getting an extension are more than the overstay fine, if any, then it might be easier to just pay the fine , if any.
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby MGV12 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:06 pm

sirineou wrote:
MGV12 wrote:

Depends on the Immigration office you come under ... they have flexibility [ :roll: ] over the fee level for many of their services.

The reason I ask is because , there is no overstay penalty fee for the first overstay day,and then it is only 500 bht per day, (at least that's my understanding)
I overstayed by one day once, and nobody even said anything to my at the airport.
So if the fees and trouble of getting an extension are more than the overstay fine, if any, then it might be easier to just pay the fine , if any.

Here is an experience of one of your [adopted :) ] countrymen Mike http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic ... huket.html

You can ignore or take notice of the comment ..... "and there is also some sort of note written against my visa stamp."

Those who can afford to do it the right way are always best to do it the right way ... as [without being paranoid] one never can tell if or when these 'little notes' and possible computer entries might come around again at a later date ... in a possibly more meaningful situation.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby sirineou » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:43 pm

perhaps they did mot notice my overstay, or maybe they are a little more liberal in BKK, but nobody said a thing to me about my one day overstay.If they had my excuse was that in New York it was still the day before :)
sirineou

Postby Mike Judd » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:09 am

Once again Thanks ! I do have a choice and plenty of time to do it the best way. As I said I must have been to Thailand about 20 times through the years but always stuck to the 30 day limit, although I remember one time where an over zealous female official directed me to a "Cage" where they were collecting fines from over staying tourists. My passport showed 30 days from entry to that night leaving (She couldn't count) they were wanting to take the money but I wouldn't have it and a senior guy waved me through. The amicable Thai guy in Sydney office, just said ,"don't worry" they will just stamp your Passport "Naughty boy" pay a small fine. That's all very well, and knowing how little things can turn into dramas T.I.T. I'll opt for the simple extension when over there.
Mike Judd

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:35 am

฿1,900

The 2 day fine is cheaper ฿1,000 :D

The standard is that if you fly they don't fine for 1 day. But the first day is not free. If you over stay more than 1 day it's (AFIK)฿500 per day (including day 1) up to ฿20,000

If you go out overland you get fined for every day (even if it's only 1 day)500 per day up to ฿20,000

Specially if you fly there is no drama at the airport BUT don't get stopped on the way out of the country with an overstay because then you go straight to immigration jail until they process you and you aren't going to get to the flight you've booked.
Getting stopped on the way to the airport is low risk.
Getting stopped on the way to a land border is not such a low risk.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby pipoz » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:23 pm

Probably not the appropriate place to post, but

I am contemplating buying an Apartment in Bangkok later this year, as part of the process to secure a Retirement Visa, right to have a Bank Account, right to get a Driver License etc and whatever else might come with it.

Question: When buying the Apartment, my main purpose is to get the right to have a Retirement Visa and some other Thai privileges, am I allowed to put the Title to the Apartment in two names, mine and the TG's? Or does it have to be just in my name?

Part of the reason for having her name on the Title is that eventually when I depart this Physical Oasis for a Theoretical one, there will or should be no difficulty with her just assuming the Title in her name, unless of course there is another way to do that.

pipoz
pipoz

Postby Makmak456 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:27 am

Put it in your name and then make a will with her getting the Apt.

Also, I have not heard of buying a apt, as a way getting a OA Long stay visa.
Yes it is call a "retirement" visa but it is a O A Long Stay visa.

If your in Pattaya, check with Key Visa.
Makmak456

Postby MGV12 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:46 am

Sorry to be pedantic by repeating what's been written many times elsewhere but its a retirement extension on an existing visa ... not a visa itself ...the visa usually being a type O non-immigrant. The visa stands for one year only but you can extend it by applying for a year long retirement extension at Immigration. Through normal channels a type O/A is applied for in your own country and can be a little more onerous as it has to be through the Thai embassy and involves police record checks/medical and such ... and increasingly higher fees in some countries

To get a retirement extension .. bank account ... driver license you merely need a permanent address. This can be by way of ownership of a condo yes but also a lease/usefruct or a rental agreement. You can also get [maybe need] a 'Letter of Residence' from Immigration stating where you live ... which will be where you tell them you live. In that case you might not need to own/lease/rent anything as they don't currently ask for proof of where you live. Immigration tried to get everyone to actually prove where they live a few years back but hit a stone wall as many [the majority?] of farang have everything in their wife's name! They still claim that the 90 day address reporting procedure is essential so they know where we all are ... which is true for those of us who are honest. Unscrupulous folk can tell them anything :roll:

As always ... there are the grey areas. :mrgreen:

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby sirineou » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:09 am

How can it be a retirement visa, and be only good for one year? who in the world retires for only one year?
and then you decide
hey I like this retirement thing, I guess I am not going back to work,I will extend it for an other year , give it a chance she how it goes. TIT
If my wife can come here in the US and because she is married to me. get a Permanent resident status, why can't I come to Thailand and because I am married to my wife get a permanent resident status?
sirineou

Postby Shastadad » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:17 am

All you need is an address in Thailand, not a permanent one for either a retirement visa (O-A multiple) or O visa (for support of a Thai child or spouse) obtained in your home country or a O visa issued by a Thai Embassy or Consulate in the area, or for an extension of stay as mentioned above. The proof that you have an address in Thailand can be as simple as a hotel receipt, condo rental receipt, or any type of utility bill (phone, Internet, electricity, water etc.) in your name

Many people are able to obtain a bank account in Thailand at any bank with just a tourist visa, especially if it is located in a tourist area, since the banks understand that you have to have a Thai bank account if you choose the 800,000 (400,000 if married) THB on deposit method of proving that you have sufficient funds to extend your stay for Immigration, vice the 65,000 THB per month method proved by an income affidavit from your Embassy

Jomtien (Pattaya) Immigration officially still says that you should bring your "receipt" for proof of residency at your 90 day report and sometimes they look for it and sometimes they don't. Depends upon which officer you get, but the sign telling you what you need it is still up. You can get a Residency Certificate at Jometien also using the "receipt" for an address. The Residency Certificate is needed if you want to extend your one year drivers license to five years and / or if you want to buy or sell a motor vehicle. This Residency Certificate can also be obtained from your Embassy but at a much higher price

To the OP, buying an apartment or condo is way over the top just to get a visa or bank account since it is not required and the vast majority of expats here don't own any property
Shastadad

Postby Shastadad » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:24 am

sirineou wrote:How can it be a retirement visa, and be only good for one year? who in the world retires for only one year?
and then you decide
hey I like this retirement thing, I guess I am not going back to work,I will extend it for an other year , give it a chance she how it goes. TIT
If my wife can come here in the US and because she is married to me. get a Permanent resident status, why can't I come to Thailand and because I am married to my wife get a permanent resident status?

Because it is really not a Retirement Visa, it is just incorrectly called a Retirement visa by the uninformed. It you get it out of the country it is called an O visa (for support of a spouse or child) or a O-A visa (long stay) and while in Thailand it is called an extension of stay. So nowhere is it legally called a retirement visa

Just be grateful that the Thais don't make you jump through the same hoops as the US does for Thais, because if they did, 90% of us would not be here legally
Shastadad

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:33 am

Shastadad wrote:All you need is an address in Thailand, not a permanent one for either a retirement visa (O-A multiple) or O visa (for support of a Thai child or spouse) obtained in your home country or a O visa issued by a Thai Embassy or Consulate in the area, or for an extension of stay as mentioned above.

Actually it is also possible to change a visa exempt 30 day stamp into a 90 day visa/extension (฿1,900) which can then be changed into a 1 year extension (฿1,900) within the last 30 days of validity. So there is no absolute need to get any visa before traveling.

An alternative rout if you are married is to get a 60 day extension of stay to visit family on any kind of entry which will permit the first seasoning of money in the bank.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:38 am

sirineou wrote: If my wife can come here in the US and because she is married to me. get a Permanent resident status, why can't I come to Thailand and because I am married to my wife get a permanent resident status?

Because TIT not USA. Every country has is own rules and changes them whenever it wants to.

If you think Thailand is restrictive on permanent resident status and citizenship try Japan :D :D :D
Sometimewoodworker

Postby fredlk » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:08 am

Sometimewoodworker wrote:If you think Thailand is restrictive on permanent resident status and citizenship try Japan :D :D :D

.... or The Netherlands. Even getting into that country for a short visit can prove impossible for many a Thai citizen.
fredlk

PreviousNext

Return to general