"Retirement" visa

Any expat related issue or comment.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

"Retirement" visa

Postby fredlk » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:27 am

Bloody hell. 8 years I've gone the yearly income and transfers route. Today: "No good."
Now outside a consulate to get them to certify what I decide to tell them. Next year I'll go the 800,000 route I suppose.
fredlk

Re: "Retirement" visa

Postby Shastadad » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:57 am

Bloody hell. 8 years I've gone the yearly income and transfers route. Today: "No good."

Are you saying that for the last 8 years Jomtien has accepted your word that you have at least 65,000 THB a month in income and never required a letter from your embassy certifying your income ?

Or are you saying that your embassy / consulate is now requiring that you show them " proof " of income to issue the letter ?

Some have decided to use the 800, 000 in a Thai Bank account method because of the expense of getting the letter (cost to embassy / consulate, travel, etc). The only problem appears to be timing it so that it is seeded for 3 full months prior to your extension date
Shastadad

Postby fredlk » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:08 pm

Shastadad wrote:

Are you saying that for the last 8 years Jomtien has accepted your word that you have at least 65,000 THB a month in income and never required a letter from your embassy certifying your income ?

Or are you saying that your embassy / consulate is now requiring that you show them " proof " of income to issue the letter ?

Some have decided to use the 800, 000 in a Thai Bank account method because of the expense of getting the letter (cost to embassy / consulate, travel, etc). The only problem appears to be timing it so that it is seeded for 3 full months prior to your extension date

I have only been here now for 3 consecutive years. Before that was Bangkok. A requirement is proof of an income coming in of 65,000 Baht per month OR 800,000 in the bank. I always got my bank to write a letter verifying my monthly transfers to my Thai account from abroad. That has always been sufficient. Today it was not and I had to prove 800,000 in the bank. Protesting was of course useless as "I officer know the rules!". Everyone knows his type. :lol: Me no have money in that account so to the Austrian Consulate - I am Dutch - gave some income papers to the Thai woman working there with my own list of totals and she fabricated a letter in 2 minutes which the consul then signed. Back to immigration where I was told that this letter would suffice next year. The bank route costs me a year of administration plus 4 hours dealing with the bank .... and 100 baht. This took 2 minutes and cost 1,600 Baht. I'll be doing it Austrian-style again next year.
fredlk

Postby Shastadad » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:10 am

You will have to have a new letter every year unfortunately if you choose that method of proof. The problem that you appeared to have run into was that the 800,000 THB must be in your account for three months prior to your extension. (only two months doing it for the first time) They will usually just accept the letter written by the bank stating that you had the 800,000 in the bank for the require period of time. Sometimes though Jomtien will ask to see your bank book, so that they can see the "foreign" deposits that created the 800,000 (to prove that your money is coming from off shore and that you are not working in Thailand)

The letter you got from the consulate certified your 65,000 THB monthly income in lieu of the 800,000 THB seeded for 3 months
Shastadad

Postby fredlk » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:42 pm

You don't understand.
Shastadad wrote:You will have to have a new letter every year unfortunately if you choose that method of proof.

Obviously.
Shastadad wrote:The problem that you appeared to have run into was that the 800,000 THB must be in your account for three months prior to your extension.

No, there is another rule saying 65,000 PER MONTH into one's THAI bank account. That's the one I always used.
Shastadad wrote:They will usually just accept the letter written by the bank stating that you had the 800,000 in the bank for the require period of time.

My bank letter always verified that I had at least 65,000 Baht times 12 coming in during the year.
Shastadad wrote:Sometimes though Jomtien will ask to see your bank book

I always supplied that as well plus copies of every page of said book.
Shastadad wrote:The letter you got from the consulate certified your 65,000 THB monthly income

No the letter stated that I received so-many-thousand Euro in income each month which they said equates to xxx,000 Baht per month.
fredlk

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:31 pm

There seem to be a few misconceptions as well as a little information missing along with the immigration officer not being very clear, or maybe wrong though it's nigh on impossible to prove that part.

1) Extensions of permission to stay for retirement are not visas. Visas can only be issued outside thailand. Permission to stay is granted by immigration officers when you arrive in Thailand. Extensions of permission to stay are granted by the immigration officers in the immigration office in Thailand.

2)For Thailand a visa is permission to enter Thailand it is not permission to stay in Thailand (this is the thing that causes the greatest confusion I don't know any other country that splits the permission to enter and permission to stay) this does have some advantages e.g. a one year multi entry O-A visa can let you stay in Thailand for almost 2 years

3) The financial requirement for a retirement extension is, at the moment, 800,000 in the bank for 3 seasoned for months (except for the first extension where it's 2 months) or 65,000 income or a combination of income and bank deposit on a pro rata basis then there is no seasoning requirement for the bank deposit.

4) Since the income must come from outside Thailand (you can't work on that extension) the usual requirement is a letter from your embassy confirming amount of the income.

A bank letter (and bank book) is the proof of the seasoned deposit.
A bank letter is not the usual proof of income. that is an embassy letter.

It's likely that the officer you saw got confused (or out of the bed the wrong side) so when given something a bit different just said no.

And then there is the right of all officers to require more documents whenever they feel like it. TIT

One further point for a marriage extension you can't mix income and bank deposit
Sometimewoodworker

Postby fredlk » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:28 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote:It's likely that the officer you saw got confused (or out of the bed the wrong side) so when given something a bit different just said no.

That was indeed the case and I even spotted a spark where he might have realised his mistake ....
.... but this being Thailand and his being "Officer" he had to stick to his story or lose face ....
.... and this being Thailand he of course chose the former.
fredlk

Postby Mike Judd » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:24 am

Just a little enquiry regarding visas . I had booked tickets and got a good deal ($850 total return Sydney /Khon Kaen via Bangkok ) We booked for 2 months (Calendar) which turns out to be 61 days. Applied for Visa and thought to make sure get 90 day one , told that I didn't qualify in any way for 90 day, holidays not allowed, only Spouse fitted the criterion ( I'am Defacto) So they gave me a 60 day one, and said pay fine on the way out.? Any experiences on this Guys. ? Always been on the 30 day no visa before.
Mike Judd

Postby sirineou » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:36 am

Mike Judd wrote:Just a little enquiry regarding visas . I had booked tickets and got a good deal ($850 total return Sydney /Khon Kaen via Bangkok ) We booked for 2 months (Calendar) which turns out to be 61 days. Applied for Visa and thought to make sure get 90 day one , told that I didn't qualify in any way for 90 day, holidays not allowed, only Spouse fitted the criterion ( I'am Defacto) So they gave me a 60 day one, and said pay fine on the way out.? Any experiences on this Guys. ? Always been on the 30 day no visa before.

Not to worry as far as I know, if you overstay 1 day there is no charge. after that it is 500 bht per day, so don't sweat it.
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby BKKBILL » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:23 am

The 90 day plus a 30 day extension should cover it.

http://www.thaiembassy.com/visa/thaivisa.php
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:31 pm

Mike,
You don't qualify for a 90 day visa because you are not staying. All you have to do is go to immigration when the 60 days are up and a apply for a 30 day extension instead of being fined.
Roger Ramjet

Postby BKKBILL » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:38 pm

BKKBILL wrote:The 90 day plus a 30 day extension should cover it.

http://www.thaiembassy.com/visa/thaivisa.php

RR is correct and is what I was trying to say. :oops: :mrgreen:
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby Mike Judd » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:09 pm

Thanks Guys ! the extension one or two days should do it.
Mike Judd

Postby sirineou » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:18 pm

How much does it cost to get an extension?
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby MGV12 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:36 pm

sirineou wrote:How much does it cost to get an extension?

Depends on the Immigration office you come under ... they have flexibility [ :roll: ] over the fee level for many of their services.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Next

Return to general