What lies ahead?

Any expat related issue or comment.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: What lies ahead?

Postby Roger Ramjet » Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:02 pm

In Australia the people have spoken and kicked out two stupid parties that both thought were better than the people.
Election 2016: Major parties under siege as 'voter rage' takes hold
Nothing is resolved.

If Malcolm Turnbull forms Government it will be with the barest of majorities, or in an alliance with the crossbench.

He will face enemies across the aisle and in his ranks and a Senate with at least as many weird moving parts as the one he just expunged.
There was a long drawn out bitter election in Australia, but the pollies found out they can't screw around with the country to please themselves.

In his early morning speech he invoked John Howard's narrow victory in 1998 as a talisman for how he might cobble something that looks like a victory from this ruin.

The comparison fails because Mr Howard was a consummate politician and the Prime Minister has just proved, again, that he is not.

He appealed to Australians to trust him but too many recalled the Coalition's shattered promises of the 2014 Budget.

Labor's "Mediscare" campaign was outrageous but it worked because the Coalition had provided field evidence that people had a reason to be afraid.

Mr Turnbull promised stability, expecting people to forget how he got his job.
Full story here: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-07-03/e ... ut/7565704
Roger Ramjet

Postby MGV12 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:48 pm

This may be of interest to the many who suffer with arthritis ... reproduced in full as the source is restricted to some :roll:

Can a zap of electricity relieve arthritis agony? Neck implant that gives a small shock help some patients go into complete remission

A zap of electricity to the neck could help make arthritic joints less painful.

Scientists have used a small electric-shock generating device to activate a nerve involved in controlling the immune system.

Implanted on the side of the neck, and switched on for as little as a minute a day, it significantly reduced the symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis, which develops when the immune system attacks the joints by mistake.

Excitingly, the coin-sized gadget provided relief for some people for whom no drugs have worked.

And some patients went into complete remission, meaning they were effectively cured.

One woman, who had been in so much pain that she struggled to walk across the room, said: ‘I have my normal life back.

‘I go biking, walk the dog and drive my car. It is like magic.’

One of the most common forms of the disease, rheumatoid arthritis affects some 400,000 Britons.

The wrists, fingers, toes, ankles and knees are particularly susceptible to attack, with women three times as likely to be affected as men.

Drugs do not work for everyone, can cost thousands of pounds a year, and are linked to side-effects from upset stomachs to a higher risk of heart attacks and strokes.

An implant would likely be cheaper and, it is hoped, safer.

Dutch researcher Professor Paul-Peter Tak, of the University of Amsterdam, tested the device on 17 rheumatoid arthritis patients, implanting it in a one-hour operation.

Once in place, it was generated tiny electric shocks for between one and four minutes a day.

These activated the vagus nerve, which runs through the body connecting the brain to the major organs, and cut production of the immune system chemicals that drive rheumatoid arthritis.

Symptoms were cut by half in almost 60 per cent of those treated, the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences reports.

There were no major side-effects, although patients felt a slight tingling and their voice trembled when the device was switched on.

A similar approach is already used to treat epilepsy and it is hoped that in future, the technology could be used to treat other illnesses, including Alzheimer’s disease.

Professor Tak, who also holds posts at Cambridge University and at drug firm GSK, said: ‘This will revolutionise how we think about treatment.’

Anthony Arnold, CEO of SetPoint Medical, the US firm developing the technology, said: ‘Our findings suggest a new approach to fighting diseases with bioelectronic medicines, which use electrical impulses to treat diseases currently treated with potent and relatively expensive drugs.’

Dr Kevin Tracey, SetPoint’s co-founder, said: ‘I believe this study will change the way we see modern medicine, helping us understand that our nerves can, with a little help, make the drugs we need to help our body heal itself.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... ssion.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/25/magaz ... acked.html

http://www.setpointmedical.com/

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby MGV12 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:01 pm

What lies behind:

Crude Oil Prices 70 Year Historical Chart MacroTrends.png

http://www.macrotrends.net/1369/crude-o ... tory-chart

What lies now:

US oil reserves surpass those of Saudi Arabia and Russia

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/07/05/us-oil-r ... ussia.html

What lies ahead?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby MGV12 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:00 pm

Funding flows for UK’s ‘revolutionary’ Sabre rocket engi

sabrepoweredtwostagetoorbitsmallpayloadlauncher.jpg

The £60m UK government investment in the "revolutionary" Sabre rocket engine concept has finally started to flow.
The company behind the power unit said at the Farnborough International Air Show that this would now enable it to push ahead with a new demonstrator.
Sabre burns hydrogen like a rocket motor but in air drawn from the atmosphere, just like a jet.
Reaction Engines Ltd foresees the technology being used to propel future space planes and hypersonic airliners.
Farnborough witnessed the signing of an £8m (€10m) contract between REL and the European Space Agency, which will result in Esa keeping its role as the "technical auditor" on the project.
Its propulsion experts have in the past been asked to maintain an independent assessment of the progress of Sabre, whilst also making some contributions to its design.
The oversight will now continue as REL moves towards the construction of its scaled, ground-based demonstrator. This is supposed to be the last phase in the development of Sabre before it can become a commercial proposition.
"We are moving forward in a significant way on technology development that is revolutionary in terms of space transportation," said Franco Ongaro, Esa's director of technical and quality management.
"The contract we sign today will take us to a Preliminary Design Review in 2018 and we're looking for a demonstrator to be tested on the ground in 2020."
Computer generated image of ground-based SABRE test engine.Image copyrightREACTION ENGINES
Image caption

The UK government's £60m commitment to the Synergistic Air-Breathing Rocket Engine (Sabre) was announced back in July 2013 at the UK Space Conference. Getting the funding released has taken far longer than anyone thought. The first tranche came in March. The Esa involvement will also be paid out of the £60m.
Part of the reason for the delay was the need to win a state aid, fair competition ruling from the European Commission. Another reason lay in agreeing the complex terms of what will be a "grant", not a "loan".

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-36773074
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MGV12

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:16 pm

Perhaps the car companies and aircraft manufacturers have got it all wrong and are are going in the wrong direction totally when they can use free energy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHW6b1aFPfU
If this gentleman can fool even Professors, then he's the best magician in the world or he has something that could rock the oil industry.
Roger Ramjet

Postby MGV12 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:32 am

Some of those who campaigned with extremist opinions for Brexit, in the UK, used the "real possibility" of Turkey soon becoming part of the European Union. The result they claimed was a "very-likely" influx of many millions of Turks into the UK. Why so may Turks would want/need to leave Turkey was not discussed to any great extent. I wonder, if recent events had happened earlier would the unrealistic imminence of Turkey joining the EU have been exposed as farcical; as it should have been.

You thought Erdogan was bad before? The worst of Turkey's leader is yet to come

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/2016 ... t-to-come/

MGV12

Postby Andyfteeze » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:35 am

cHECK THIS OUT.
http://liquidpiston.com/wp-content/uplo ... ations.pdf.

Is this the future or another step towards the future?
You would have to think 3D printing of everything to be the future. From cement blocks to heart and lungs.
Andyfteeze

Postby BKKBILL » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:57 am

How thing change in a short time with those who a supposed to know.

IMF ‘clowns’ admit they got it wrong with Brexit doom and gloom warnings after saying the British economy will grow faster than Germany and France
International Monetary Fund originally predicted post-Brexit recession
But has now announced that economy set to grow by 1.7% this year
Ukip MP Douglas Carswell has now labelled IMF officials as 'clowns'

IMF officials were labelled ‘clowns’ with ‘serious credibility problems’ last night after saying the British economy will grow faster than Germany and France in the next two years – only weeks after its doom-laden warnings about Brexit.
After saying that leaving the European Union could trigger a UK recession, the International Monetary Fund now expects the British economy to grow by 1.7 per cent this year and 1.3 per cent next year.
That is weaker than the 1.9 and 2.2 per cent growth forecasts before the referendum, but the UK is still set to be the second-fastest growing economy in the Group of Seven industrialised nations this year – behind the United States – and third-fastest next year, behind the US and Canada.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... rance.html
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby MGV12 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:07 pm

Andyfteeze wrote:cHECK THIS OUT.
http://liquidpiston.com/wp-content/uplo ... ations.pdf.

Is this the future or another step towards the future?
You would have to think 3D printing of everything to be the future. From cement blocks to heart and lungs.

Like the concept but it will need to be adopted by one of the 'big boys' for it not to go the same way as other good concepts of the past. Combustion chamber tip sealing was always the Achilles Heel of the Wankel. I find it to be quite amazing that 'modern' engines are still based upon the the Otto-cycle concept ... were it not for vested interests this would/should have been superseded fifty years ago.

The "quiet and doesn't need an exhaust system" claim needs working on by the sound of the go kart in this link.

http://liquidpiston.com/

http://liquidpiston.com/technology/how-it-works/

Maybe they should get together with this guy:

https://www.ted.com/talks/joe_desimone_ ... 25x_faster

MGV12

Postby MGV12 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:24 pm

"It's called diplomacy, Boris"

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-36839721

MGV12

Postby Andyfteeze » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:21 pm

The implications of Brexit won't be known for a while. No matter if you were for or against, its not over yet. I wouldn't be claiming any moral victory yet. from what little I know, there are good bits to stay and there are good bits to go. Economies don't just sink over night. But without an economic plan, it isn't the panacea to England's economic woes. Without a plan its just lurching from one s**t hole to another.
Australia is also lurching from one s**t hole to another. You guys closed the mines so you have experienced it first hand, we are about to close car manufacturing. It will have the same consequences for lots of people. This plan was hatched by our brain surgeon politicians in a moment of hubris. The two architects of which are busy counting their mistakes, one in America as a diplomat and the other on the back bench. both Should have been tarred and feathered. For the sake of $800m over 5 years, we are now going to spend $150B on defence just to shore up the votes in Adelaide. This will create 3000 full time jobs! To hell with the 200,000 who will be affected by the car closure. Mate, we need to send a few crims back to the mother land, we don't want them, lol.
Andyfteeze

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:31 pm

Andyfteeze wrote:Australia is also lurching from one s**t hole to another. You guys closed the mines so you have experienced it first hand, we are about to close car manufacturing. It will have the same consequences for lots of people. This plan was hatched by our brain surgeon politicians in a moment of hubris. The two architects of which are busy counting their mistakes, one in America as a diplomat and the other on the back bench.

What annoyed the Australian people was the tax they wanted to impose on the Super you saved. What dolt thought that was a grand plan. The other thing I picked up when I voted at the embassy was both parties are hated, which is why they have the Senate full of odd-bods. And they keep changing their mind. They could have had fibre optics now, but instead it's copper at twice the price and now they're stopping people feeding into the grid with their solar power. Big Business has managed to have their say in the pollies ears and mind you big business comes out very well on tax, thank you, because even the PM banks overseas so he doesn't have to pay Australian Taxes.
The only good thing that happened was the Chinese got blocked from taking the best farming land and turning it into a dust bowl so they could get at the coal and that was done by the Supreme Court, and the pollies screamed loud and long until it was pointed out the Chinese Company was in fact the Chinese Government.
Why do we always elect the idiots.
The iron ore can stay in the ground another 40 years, it will always be needed, but the pollies approved all those tinpot companies to start mining when they knew China was broke. Even the public servants are disgusted with them, which means they'll leak all the stupid things, like a sieve. Too many Gina Rhineharts telling the pollies what to do and not enough commonsense being added.
The car industry is a shame, but caused by the ban on exports. That comes from the Yanks, a bit like the F35 that we're paying for but not using. Now that can save 36 billion and go into the shipping industry. Why build a ship in Korea when it can be built in Australia for the same price. Strange as it may seem the cost is the same, but the pollies cause the cost over-runs by changing the specs half way through. If it's build in SK they don't worry the people at home don't hear about the cost over-runs and if it happens in Australia they can always blame the unions with their 4% of wages for the total project.
I can't afford to live in Australia. I can't afford to smoke there. I can't afford the rent there and the only thing I get free takes three years to happen, if they remember I was once a soldier and wounded and need surgery and medicine.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Andyfteeze » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:01 pm

Some things you say make sense but some are out there too, lol. People don't hate the major parties. over 30% voted labor, over 30% voted liberal, 20% voted country party or greens which are really aligned with the majors. That leaves 20% who voted for what ever. You can say the swingers have increased from 5% to 20%, but the majors still have a hold. I don't think the super was a big issue although its a bit of s**t hole policy anyway. NBN was labor policy which one Tony Abbot told Malcolm to destroy. The swing against the Liberals was because Malcolm turned into another s**t politician when people expected so much more. Its a pity really, the Liberals needed a few years in the wilderness developing policies. Since Whittlam days, Labor has new ideas and Liberals always want to curtail them. I don't buy this neo con mantra " we can't aford it" because then we make excuses for doing nothing. When clearly we need good broadband, good roads, good public transport, cheap housing and more jobs. Privatisation is on the nose because everything is so fractured and expensive. Allan Stockdale and Jeff Kennet have a lot to answer to on that one. How has the train privatisation gone guys? In a time of prosperity, the electorate forgives humongous disasters, but when the chickens come home to roost, they better watch out.
America hasn't gone to war with anyone lately. Whats going on? Isn't that the tried and true method of getting the economy going?
Talk about truth, Some Court has ruled that Australia and America were complicit in the anti communist purge in Indonesia all those years ago. It says it was a pretext for total carnage in which 500,000 people were killed. I have a sense of deja vue with Turkey. I am starting to think Ergoden set the whole thing up. Two days after the coup stopped, 6,000 people have been identified as terrorists, 20,000 teachers lost their licence to teach and the list goes on. It smacks purely of a setup. Watch that economy go Kaput. I wonder how many people will keep supporting that hitler wannabe. Which is good for Thailand, it gets more tourists. And with the end of the sex trade,( yea I believe it too , NOT) good for everyone.
All in all, its great to be alive in interesting times. Can't wait to retire and hide away in Thailand. :lol:
Andyfteeze

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:47 pm

I could argue with some of the things you say, especially lumping the National party with the Greens, now that's a bit steep even for me. :lol: :lol:
But we do agree on some points, which is more than the pollies do. If ever there was a reason to bring back the death penalty it is the pollies. I recall Turnbull when he was a firebrand QC who demanded Australia become a Republic and now look at him, cadging votes in outback pubs to the party faithful.
You're right the LIB/nats need another few years in the wilderness to think about what they are going to do next besides hire choppers for fundraisers with tax payers money.
I think they should all be deported to Europe, no better still Indonesia or even New Guinea. At least in Australia the army would never consider a coup because of the pollies in power, even during Whitlam when I had him as my local member and had two Ministerials written against me.
At least they're a good talking point down the pub and I've never seen a fight out the back over a pollie. :lol: :lol:
Roger Ramjet

Postby MGV12 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:57 pm

The thin edge of the wedge:

Sheffield to get £1bn Sichuan Guodong Construction Group investment

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-sout ... e-36846472

MGV12

PreviousNext

Return to general