You beat Bill on such an important topic, I can't believe it. :lol: :lol:
Roger Ramjet

Re: What lies ahead?

Postby MGV12 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:52 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:
MGV12 wrote:And such 'trivial' matters as:

You beat Bill on such an important topic, I can't believe it. :lol: :lol:

It's been a quiet day :wink:

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby BKKBILL » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:58 pm

Hey! eh
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby MGV12 » Wed May 04, 2016 7:04 pm

Alarmist rhetoric?

My opinion is that we who have left our home country to live in Thailand should simply look to self-sufficiency.

There is little doubt that a lot of shiiite is going to hit a very big fan sometime soon

An opinion of someone who understands and simply goes to where he can make the best profit .. don't blame him for being an obvious parasite ... but a philanthropic one :D ;

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby BKKBILL » Thu May 05, 2016 5:23 pm

MGV12 wrote:Alarmist rhetoric?

For only 38 USD you can be saved so where is the problem? :roll:

You could watch this on YouTube interestingly Charles Anderson joined April 12, 2016
BKKBILL

Postby MGV12 » Thu May 05, 2016 5:41 pm

BKKBILL wrote:
MGV12 wrote:Alarmist rhetoric?

For only 38 USD you can be saved so where is the problem? :roll:

You could watch this on YouTube interestingly Charles Anderson joined April 12, 2016

There are a few Charles Anderson's on YouTube ... is it the one who discovered that dragonflies cross oceans?

MGV12

Postby BKKBILL » Thu May 05, 2016 7:55 pm

MGV12 wrote:There are a few Charles Anderson's on YouTube ... is it the one who discovered that dragonflies cross oceans?

Wish it was that Charles Anderson sounds most interesting would have saved me 42.06 minutes of tedium , but no it was this Charles Anderson.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0utlc ... BB2Dlr9Whw

Oh! and of the dozens and dozens of videos posted on the site all are 42:06 minutes long but his book is only 38.00 USD.
BKKBILL

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu May 05, 2016 10:55 pm

In the old days when people had small savings if any at all, the government would use tax payers money for large projects (macro economics) and leave the smaller projects to companies with large profits and money to invest. Now-a-days governments are relying (too heavily) on funds/banks to raise money for macro projects, then borrowing the money from the funds or banks. The problem is the funds and banks charge higher interest because it wasn't their money in the first place and they have shareholders.
A lot of things have happened like Credit Unions which support the poor down trodden bloke whose car engine blows up and the bank says he's a bad risk, but the credit union has first call on his pay when it is paid, so they loan him the money, which reduces his take home pay. And so it goes around and around in circles, as is currently happening in Australia. Meanwhile the rich never pay their fair share because the government has all the loopholes left open for them. It's the wage earner the government is after, that's their steady income and what they base GDI on.
I've met a few "economists" in my time and each has a different view but it's basically the same as the poor wage earner, his debts can't exceed his income, which the government fails to grasp in most countries (America being the worst).
And now all that money he's been forced to save for his retirement is going to be taxed as well.
My sister, the economist, lawyer, Secretary, Registered nurse and a few more degrees is still at work and she's over 70 and on a huge wage which she pays little tax on. Her husband was also on a huge salary until he died this year, they own a huge house in Canberra and a "country retreat" and the two daughters are estranged. So my sister comes home to a bleak mansion every night and has nothing to spend her retirement on or with, except her maid and gardener and all she looks forwards to are the social gatherings of "her class" of people. What a life. It was; we'll retire next year and do Europe again and the rest of the world and she hasn't seen a 1/4 of Australia yet.
The only thing she has out of all that work is a Peugeot that she doesn't drive because a company car picks her up and takes her home. It's a miserable existence, to be honest..... but she's rich thanks to the government. I have not one bit of sympathy either. The people in the old people's home she ends up in will make sure they get all they can and the rest will be probably given to charity or back to the government.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed May 18, 2016 5:59 pm

This is the reason China was refused permission to buy one of the oldest pastral leases in Australia involving over 1 million acres and bordering the Woomera Rocket Range where the testing is being done.
My warped side of me says the Chinese would have a problem shooting down a scram jet powered plane flying over the Spratly Islands/reefs which may have been what CINPAC was referring to when he suggested Australia might overfly them each week. I don't think they are that developed yet, but when they do get all their ducks lined up, I'm sure Russia and China will have vapours in 2017 when the scram jet becomes a viable concern. A case of catch me if you can I believe.
http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/asia/97 ... -australia
Roger Ramjet

Postby MGV12 » Wed May 18, 2016 6:12 pm

Meanwhile ... in other news:

$7 Billion Large Hadron Collider Shut Down by Weasel

Mankind’s biggest ever platform for scientific discovery was brought to its knees by a weasel.

NPR reports that the Large Hadron Collider (LHC), the famous 17-mile-long particle accelerator in Switzerland, dropped offline yesterday when electrical problems began to present themselves.

Particle Collider Spits Out Tiny Drops of Primordial Goo

The likely cause of the outage was small, furry and, sadly, no longer with us.

“We are pretty sure this was caused by a small animal,” a press officer for the LHC told NPR. “A weasel, probably.”

Indeed, the remains of a fried animal were found on the grounds outside the LHC, close to a cable that had been gnawed through.

http://news.discovery.com/space/7-billi ... 160429.htm

There are worse ways to go:

10 Animals That People Eat Alive

http://listverse.com/2013/03/06/10-anim ... eat-alive/

MGV12

Postby MGV12 » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:31 pm

A consideration which has [understandably] not been at the forefront of the Brexit referendum result:

Brexit: EU referendum was a 2-2 'draw' and UK exit will not happen, LSE professor says

Brexit going ahead would therefore fragment the Union, the scholar said, which has been in existence since 1707.

He added: “There’s no political will in Scotland and Northern Ireland to remain in the UK if it leaves the EU.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 11431.html

MGV12

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:27 pm

Scotland has been looking for an excuse/reason to declare independence.

They are less than 10% the size of England. Should the tail wag the dog?

They may decide to breakup the UK but will not find it so easy to join the EU

For the last week I have been saying I would not put any money on the UK actually leaving the EU, though I think it is the only way there will be true reform of the EU.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby BKKBILL » Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:29 am

Stiff upper lip Eh.

Steady now, just 'keep calm and carry on'

ROGER CRUTCHLEY

For something that sounds a bit like a second-rate breakfast cereal, Brexit has created the most monumental commotion in Britain since David Beckham damaged his precious metatarsal.

It's created family rifts, longtime friends are not talking to one another and the young ones have decided it's all the fault of the wrinklies. "I'm never giving up my seat on the train for an old person ever again," tweeted one young lady. Comments like that prompted comedian Ricky Gervais to remark: "I can't believe it took a referendum for Britain's youth to find out old people hate them."

Summing up the sorry situation nicely was Andy Zaltman's analogy in Newsweek, likening Brexit to "a bored nation sticking its fingers in a tempting-looking electrical socket, just to see what happens".

It was entertaining to observe all the "experts" being wheeled in by the BBC and CNN, attempting to explain what would happen next. They all came to one conclusion -- they had absolutely no idea. But hopefully they had a little more idea than Fox News which briefly announced in a news alert: "UK votes to leave UN."

Adding to the drama was England's football team, under manager Roy Hodgson, crashing out of the Euro 16 tournament. As one observer tweeted: "Hodgson is the only man in England with a coherent plan for leaving Europe."

In the wake of Brexit, one slogan that keeps surfacing is "Keep Calm and Carry On", originally launched in World War II as British citizens prepared for the German bombers. It looks like the British people have taken this slogan to heart, because a common theme in tweets following the vote was "I'm off to the pub" -- that's definitely keeping calm and carrying on. True democracy in action.

Regrets, I've had a few

Adding to the fun are reports that some people who voted for Leave were having second thoughts as the pound plunged and stock markets wobbled. It appears that quite a number were simply making a protest vote and didn't think Leave had a hope of winning, a reaction quickly dubbed "Regrexit". Little did they realise their votes would lead to unprecedented political turmoil, featuring back-stabbings, betrayals and skulduggery of Shakespearean proportions.

It is no secret that the majority of MPs had backed the Remain vote, prompting a wry cartoon in the Daily Telegraph, depicting two MPs outside Parliament. One of them comments gruffly: "Let's never ask the public for their views again."

Stiff upper lip

The "keep calm and carry on" philosophy first surfaced in World War I when the British government's slogan was "Business as Usual", adopted from a Winston Churchill speech. It suggested that whatever the enemy did it would not affect everyday life. Of course it was impossible to carry on as normal when you were involved in "the war to end all wars", but it was good for morale and the expression is still common in everyday speech.

These wartime slogans are a reflection of the "stiff upper lip" culture particularly associated with the British when faced with a potential catastrophe. The expression derives from the belief that the first sign someone is fearful is when the upper lip starts trembling. Britain probably requires a combined 64 million stiff upper lips in the coming months.

Up the Khyber

"Stiff upper lip" always reminds me of the 1968 comedy film, Carry On Up The Khyber. It is set during the British occupation of India in Victorian times, with the 3rd Foot and Mouth Regiment battling Afghan tribesmen. In a wonderful climactic scene, the governor is hosting a formal black-tie dinner when his residence comes under heavy attack from the tribesman. In true British tradition, the governor and guests carry on with their meal as if nothing untoward is happening, despite bullets whistling around, shells crashing into the building and plaster falling into the soup.

Just a scratch

There are countless examples of the "stiff upper lip" in British history.

One of the most famous occurred at the Battle of Waterloo in 1815 when Lord Uxbridge, after being hit in the leg by cannon shot, rode up to the Duke of Wellington and announced: "By God sir, I believe I've lost my leg." To which Wellington replied dispassionately, "By God sir, so you have."

Another oft-cited case is that of explorer Ernest Shackleton whose ship Endurance was trapped in the Antarctic ice in 1915. mAlong with his 30-man crew he had to abandon ship in bitterly cold conditions and could only watch as his vessel lost its fight with the ice. As the ship sunk, Shackleton remarked: "There she goes boys, there she goes."

This is your captain speaking

In 1982, there was the case of British Airways pilot, Capt Eric Moody, whose 747 lost the use of all four engines after they were choked by volcanic ash while flying over Indonesia.

Capt Moody very calmly announced over the intercom to the 247 passengers: "Ladies and gentlemen. We have a small problem. All four engines have stopped. We are doing our damnedest to get them going again. I trust you are not in too much distress."

He proceeded to land safely, despite having to glide the engineless plane for some distance with no visibility, the windshield being covered in ash. Capt Moody later likened it to "negotiating ones way up a badger's backside.”

http://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opin ... d-carry-on
BKKBILL

Postby MGV12 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:36 pm

The day you learnt nothing should be the day after you died.

Maybe today Roger Crutchley's lesson should be ... if you are going to quote someone, that few have ever heard of, at least spell their name correctly:

Andy Zalt[z]man's analogy in Newsweek, likening Brexit to "a bored nation sticking its fingers in a tempting-looking electrical socket, just to see what happens".

Both apparently have little idea the real reasons many voted for Brexit. According to many interviews with Brexit voters ... the [just over] one million voters that swung the vote [and maybe many more] were simply making a protest against the inequality in the country; and never expected their vote would make a difference. They had little else to base their vote on due to the campaigning producing little clarity ... to the contrary it added to the confusion. The current opposition leader [Jeremy Corbyn] did nothing to reassure those in [what should be] Labour heartland ... as the party who should be championing the 'working classes' their campaign was pitiful. Ironically those who appear to have made the difference when the votes were counted will be those who lose the most from Brexit. Nothing new here ... move along.

A suggestion for Andy Zaltzman ........ the modern vernacular of "shooting yourself in the foot" may be more appropriate.

Many are not happy with the result http://petitionmap.unboxedconsulting.co ... ion=131215 ... many are protesting ... some say [according to laws] Brexit will never happen.

Whatever the final outcome ... in ... out ... with/without Scotland ... with/without Gibraltar ... with/without Northern Ireland ... with/without [football legends] Wales ....................

You can't not do what you have already done. .... maybe

MGV12

Postby BKKBILL » Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:04 pm

A look at the week from Huffington Post UK

EU Referendum: A Guide To The Most F*cked Up Week In UK Political History
Time for a bit of reflection.

With a referendum turnout of 72%, the UK decided to leave the EU. 51.9% of the electorate were ecstatic.

While 48.1% were in absolute shock.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/e ... ref=canada
BKKBILL

PreviousNext

Return to general