What lies ahead?

Any expat related issue or comment.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

What lies ahead?

Postby MGV12 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:59 am

Virtually possible:

Literally possible:

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Re: What lies ahead?

Postby MGV12 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:13 pm

Shot to Death by Police for Betting on a Football Game? The Rise of Paramilitary Force in America

Heavily armed SWAT teams are increasingly used for such small tasks as raiding poker games and trying to stop underage drinking. How did we get here?

Sal Culosi is dead because he bet on a football game — but it wasn’t a bookie or a loan shark who killed him. His local government killed him, ostensibly to protect him from his gambling habit.

Several months earlier at a local bar, Fairfax County, Virginia, detective David Baucum overheard the thirty-eight-year-old optometrist and some friends wagering on a college football game. “To Sal, betting a few bills on the Redskins was a stress reliever, done among friends,” a friend of Culosi’s told me shortly after his death. “None of us single, successful professionals ever thought that betting fifty bucks or so on the Virginia–Virginia Tech football game was a crime worthy of investigation.” Baucum apparently did. After overhearing the men wagering, Baucum befriended Culosi as a cover to begin investigating him. During the next several months, he talked Culosi into raising the stakes of what Culosi thought were just more fun wagers between friends to make watching sports more interesting. Eventually Culosi and Baucum bet more than $2,000 in a single day. Under Virginia law, that was enough for police to charge Culosi with running a gambling operation. And that’s when they brought in the SWAT team.

Excerpted from "Rise of the Warrior Cop: The Militarization of America's Police Forces" http://www.guns.com/2013/08/15/rise-of- ... ces-video/

http://www.alternet.org/shot-death-poli ... paging=off

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby MGV12 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:10 am

Unlikely to be the future moderate-speed train hub in Bangkok anytime soon ... if ever:

High speed trains.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MGV12

Postby MGV12 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:24 pm

MGV12

Postby Ians » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:55 pm

MGV12 wrote:Unlikely to be the future moderate-speed train hub in Bangkok anytime soon ... if ever:

High speed trains.jpg

They probably could have modern high speed trains waiting in the railway yard necessary to save the embarrassment of running off the track on a regular basis.
Ians

Postby MGV12 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:16 am

MGV12

Postby MGV12 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:47 am

Does this involve you RR? 8) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> :lol: :lol: :lol:

Spies Infiltrate a Fantasy Realm of Online Games

WoW.jpg

Not limiting their activities to the earthly realm, American and British spies have infiltrated the fantasy worlds of World of Warcraft and Second Life, conducting surveillance and scooping up data in the online games played by millions of people across the globe, according to newly disclosed classified documents.

Fearing that terrorist or criminal networks could use the games to communicate secretly, move money or plot attacks, the documents show, intelligence operatives have entered terrain populated by digital avatars that include elves, gnomes and supermodels.

The spies have created make-believe characters to snoop and to try to recruit informers, while also collecting data and contents of communications between players, according to the documents, disclosed by the former National Security Agency contractor Edward J. Snowden. Because militants often rely on features common to video games — fake identities, voice and text chats, a way to conduct financial transactions — American and British intelligence agencies worried that they might be operating there, according to the papers.

Online games might seem innocuous, a top-secret 2008 N.S.A. document warned, but they had the potential to be a “target-rich communication network” allowing intelligence suspects “a way to hide in plain sight.” Virtual games “are an opportunity!” another 2008 N.S.A. document declared.

But for all their enthusiasm — so many C.I.A., F.B.I. and Pentagon spies were hunting around in Second Life, the document noted, that a “deconfliction” group was needed to avoid collisions — the intelligence agencies may have inflated the threat. :roll: :roll: :roll:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/10/world ... 31210&_r=0
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MGV12

Postby Mike Judd » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:26 am

If anyone is interested in the skulduggery of the C.I.A try looking up a Colonel L Fletcher Prouty who worked for them at the end of the war and when he left wrote several books on them and other individuals involved in shaping events after W.W.2 His books upset quite a lot of people in high places and although his books were best sellers at the time, copies are very hard to come by in this day and age, but not impossible. As an aside I did have a copy of his first and main book,"J.F.K. The C.I.A.,Vietnam and the Plot to Assassinate John F Kennedy" it certainly made one think but unfortunately I lent it to a friend who somehow said that he had lost it on his travels.? Just recently I spent an hour in the main Sydney Library where 2 Librarians searched high and low on their computers and could only find one copy in a South Australian library that was not available to the public.? The Internet seems to be the only source left that mentions him. He was a very experienced guy who personally flew many members of American and Chinese delegates to Potsdam and other conferences in the war as a young pilot before moving up the ranks and being involved as well observing all the main events of the post war era.
Mike Judd

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:34 am

Mike Judd wrote:If anyone is interested in the skulduggery of the C.I.A try looking up a Colonel L Fletcher Prouty who worked for them at the end of the war and when he left wrote several books on them and other individuals involved in shaping events after W.W.2 His books upset quite a lot of people in high places and although his books were best sellers at the time, copies are very hard to come by in this day and age, but not impossible.

Mike,
You really know how to open cans of worms. If you're really interested in such things you should look at the lawsuit bought by CIA agents against other out of hand agents. Just feed in Clines, Shackley, Poindexter into Google and you'll get little snippets like this: http://www.americanfreepress.net/html/p ... error.html
And when you get through with Shackley and company feed in Armitage, US Special Forces, Mafia, Phoenix Program and then when you're bored with that try CIA Mafia, Prado and then CIA Mafia The Vatican, and then CIA Mafia Trafficantte, but be warned, you are being watched and I didn't post this. Lol. :lol: :lol:
Roger Ramjet

Postby Mike Judd » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:52 am

Thanks R.R. That will give me something to read up on when I have nothing better to do,which is quite often now days.
Mike Judd

Postby Mike Judd » Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:41 am

I know some of you,R.R. in particular think I am a whinging Pom, but one aspect of Australia letting just about anyone into the country is having it's repercussions.
Most of the so called Bikey gangs here now have been taken over by Middle East low life, they are into drugs or any other activity where there is easy money.
Although I am of the opinion that there are good and bad in all nationalities, the inescapable fact seems to be that some bring more of the negatives from their home countries, than positives.Back In their home land the police would probably just shoot them if they got out of hand, but here in Oz the police have to take them to court where their high paid lawyers soon get them off on some technicalities. Here at the moment they are into a spree of shooting up rivals where ever they are, in their homes or as happened N.Years Eve, spraying my Ex skippers luxury charter boat with 20 bullets to get at some of their rivals who had paid $2,500 each for the night , (Google Daily Telegraph today ) I don't know if they paid extra for the excitement .
I'am a firm believer that if anyone breaks their oath to up hold the laws of Australia when becoming a citizen (Serious offences) they should automatically be deported, you wouldn't get a second chance in Japan (Thats if you were allowed in, in the first place) What a great way to cut the crime rate.?
Mike Judd

Postby thailazer » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:01 am

What lies ahead for Thailand? The past has had lots of coups and problems, but the current situation has no sensible exit strategy. Every day the news just causes the jaw to drop some more..... Is there a "best if used by date" for "Mai Pen Rai?
thailazer

Postby sirineou » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:00 am

Mike Judd wrote:I'am a firm believer that if anyone breaks their oath to up hold the laws of Australia when becoming a citizen (Serious offences) they should automatically be deported, you wouldn't get a second chance in Japan (Thats if you were allowed in, in the first place) What a great way to cut the crime rate.?

wouldn't that be creating a second class citizen ?
I talk to my self because I am the only one who will listen
sirineou

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:57 am

Mike Judd wrote:but here in Oz the police have to take them to court where their high paid lawyers soon get them off on some technicalities.
Mike,
Shouldn't we be looking at our police training?
Mike Judd wrote: one aspect of Australia letting just about anyone into the country is having it's repercussions.

Are you saying ASIS (International spies) and ASIO (Domestic spies) (the two intelligence services that vet applications) are incompetent? Half of Australia has been saying that for years, and the reason the Office of National Assessments was created and made the "superior" intelligence service and why the Army has the Defence Intelligence Organisation.
I'm a firm believer in giving everyone a fair chance in life, whether they are black, white, pink, yellow or red and no matter what religion and traits other people/countries have instilled in them. If they break the law they go before the courts, simple. No matter how good your lawyer is, he/she is only a mouthpiece to the courts, it's evidence that counts.

thailazer:
thailazer wrote:What lies ahead for Thailand? The past has had lots of coups and problems, but the current situation has no sensible exit strategy. Every day the news just causes the jaw to drop some more.

That pretty well sums it up, now watch people and organisations dither and flip flop, follow the leader, then change sides. Perhaps we should start with the education system and teach people to think, or should we start with the caste system, the fiefdoms, the .... where do you start? Just where do you start? The problem lies ..... well you can't talk about the problems....
Roger Ramjet

Postby MGV12 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:27 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:I'm a firm believer in giving everyone a fair chance in life, whether they are black, white, pink, yellow or red and no matter what religion and traits other people/countries have instilled in them.

With the exception of English cricketers of course :lol: :lol: :lol:

Roger Ramjet wrote:
thailazer wrote:What lies ahead for Thailand? The past has had lots of coups and problems, but the current situation has no sensible exit strategy. Every day the news just causes the jaw to drop some more.

That pretty well sums it up, now watch people and organisations dither and flip flop, follow the leader, then change sides. Perhaps we should start with the education system and teach people to think, or should we start with the caste system, the fiefdoms, the .... where do you start? Just where do you start? The problem lies ..... well you can't talk about the problems....

Thailand has many inherent problems that will keep it in the category of Developing Country for the foreseeable future ... without some revolutionary evolution in thinking and action that is not on the visible horizon. Recent history will just keep repeating itself ... like 'Groundhog Day'. There may be some progress but I would suggest that this is more a function of the global swing towards S.E.Asia than anything Thailand is doing. There is no incentive for those who are in Government [whatever colour] to change demonstrably from a position of placing personal gain before that of the less-privileged population. Absolutely agree that the education system should be first on the list but it might be less challenging to solve poverty in the Third-World. My 'lovely' is about to graduate after a return to uni and says she would like to continue straight on to a master's but her university is unsure when the next semester will start ... really? "They may be closing for five months to bring the academic calendar in line before ACE in 2015". They 'might' be? They don't actually know? It's privately-funded and therefore if they are instructed to take five months out who pays their bills? Not the Government for sure! The point is ... like improving English skills and technical skills ... there appears to be little or no coordination by those who are charged with the responsibility to make these things happen. With ineptitude at the [so-called] top how are today's kids ever going to develop into a better and more proficient top for the future?

MGV12

Next

Return to general