bitchin' anna complainin'

Any expat related issue or comment.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: bitchin' anna complainin'

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:10 pm

The "technician" has been. It's a gas oven, right, so why must the electricity be on and the timer set for something I don't want? The light inside the oven (electric) must also be on before ignition of the gas and you have to light the grill first, even if you don't want to grill anything. And the light (electric) that shows the grill must be on grill or it won't light the gas oven at all. You can turn the knob to grill but it won't light until you have lifted the glass top, pressed the ignition button 20 times, then opened the oven door, closed the grill and turned the oven gas nob to 270, even though you only want 170, or even 200, then held down the ignition switch for another 20 seconds, but then you must lift the glass top or otherwise it will turn itself off. However, if you wish to start the oven with the lid down to clear 20 seconds of gas not igniting then you have to start the grill, if you remember the procedure in step two. If you even forget one step of pressing buttons in sequence and holding in knobs then the oven will not light and neither will the grill, which you don't want to light anyway. And then if you calculate wrongly on the amount of time you want to cook something, say 120 minutes for a chook, it will refuse to let you cancel the time when the chook is cooked and you must take the chook out before it is burnt to a cinder and repeat steps five and six..... which I have no idea about, or otherwise it will beep and beep and drive everyone crazy for the remaining time. Sigh. Sigh. German technology at it's finest. And all those little electric things like arrows and numbers that show in the electric panel are too small for me to see or even understand after 10 of them light up, or go out, or don't move. And you must wait for lights to go on and off and turn knobs in sequence and press buttons or you must start all over again because the damned thing won't light.
I'll give the "technician" this though, it only took him 20 minutes to get the oven working. Sigh Sigh Sigh. Another 900+ baht wasted on "New technology". No wonder the Germans lost WW2. :D :D :D
Roger Ramjet

Postby Mike Judd » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:21 pm

i know I am repeating myself here a bit, but why here in Oz where the Min wage per week has to be around the B180,000 mark and the average a whole lot more, Bunning's can import an Australian Victa design built in China and sell it marked up for only B60,000.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike Judd

Postby Roger Ramjet » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:40 pm

Mike Judd wrote:but why here in Oz where the Min wage per week has to be around the B180,000 mark and the average a whole lot more,

Mike I think you need to correct what you wrote.
Roger Ramjet

Postby Mike Judd » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:46 am

R.R. I don't think I am that much out of touch, I am talking about Adult wages here, my Step son fresh from Thailand where he was a machinist in Bangkok working 6 days for about B5,000 per month, now works in a door making factory 4 and a half days a week for B240,000 per week before tax. His wife my Step daughter, worked for B3,500 per month in a Nile type shoe factory near Khon Kaen , here before having their first baby (Now 8 weeks old ) she worked in a local packing warehouse also 4 and a half days per week for B 180,000 Plus 4 weeks annual leave / 10 P/H/10 days sickies / Super and of course maternity leave at present. (No wonder they are finding it hard to stop the boats) They never had all that when I came the second time as a $20 Pom in 1960. By the way I am calculating it at B30 to the dollar to simplify it. Where am I wrong ?
Mike Judd

Postby geordie » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:26 am

RR thanks I needed a laugh We have something in common a hate of new technology but buy it anyway I have yet to unpack the range cooker shipped from uk and bought specifically for here so do not know what the hell will happen when it comes tolight that up hopefully the instructions are better as an interim we paid 1100 Bht for a simple electric oven three knobs only
The same goes for microwaves I always by one with knobs rather than digital easy to understand
my comments may be wrong but never deliberately
If it aint broke, dont fix it
geordie

Postby geordie » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:53 am

Mike Judd wrote:i know I am repeating myself here a bit, but why here in Oz where the Min wage per week has to be around the B180,000 mark and the average a whole lot more, Bunning's can import an Australian Victa design built in China and sell it marked up for only B60,000.

Mike currently importing some plant machinery into Thailand the Duty rate is 10% unfortunately they then add all costs for purchase price shipping storage duty then add Vat on my shipment it is 52000 (aprox) duty vat is 46000

the vat addition is on any costs involved in the arrival of the goods including transport insurance preparation of paperwork and at the moment I am being told that its not reclaimable ?? even though its imported by a registered company

Maybe explains the high costs of quality tools here
geordie

Postby Mike Judd » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:06 pm

My sincere apologies R.R. You were so right, a little matter of one too many zero's in all my calculations for the Oz wages ,which were $800 per week for my Step son and $600 for my Step daughter. Sorry!
Mike Judd

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:29 pm

Mike Judd wrote:My sincere apologies R.R. You were so right, a little matter of one too many zero's in all my calculations for the Oz wages ,which were $800 per week for my Step son and $600 for my Step daughter. Sorry!

The amount they were earning was more than a current Major in the Australian Army earns, which might have peeved a few friends when I sent them your calculations. It was also twice as much as my pension, which also peeved me a little at the time, but hey, what the heck, what's a few 0's amongst friends. A certain Chief Superintendent (Prison Officer) who is also about to retire wanted both their jobs as well, but I told him he was too old to be retrained, so now's he's not talking to me. Anyway it was good for a laugh because I told them it was written by a pommie bastard who barracked for the Rabitthos and they seemed to accept that for what it was; a bit of a porkie.Perhaps I should protest to the new Minister in charge of "conversions", but I think he has his plate full of immigrants?
I am laughing a lot.... and you said it all with such a straight face.... we could make a comedy duo, you being the straight man of course. :D :D :D :D :D :D
Roger Ramjet

Postby MGV12 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:16 pm

Mike Judd wrote: now works in a door making factory 4 and a half days a week for B240,000 per week before tax.

Roger Ramjet wrote:Mike I think you need to correct what you wrote.

Roger Ramjet wrote:It was also twice as much as my pension, which also peeved me a little at the time

If a correction is not due the other way then with a B120,000 per week pension you really should not force your poor wife to slog it out at the office every day! :P :)

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Mike Judd » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:20 am

I think we all mix it up a bit doing the conversion bit sometimes, it's about time they brought their currency more inline with it's worth. It's a bit like quoting your income in cents, what can you buy with B1 ? I wouldn't like to be trying to live on the pay that I got when doing my thankfully brief stint in the British army in 1950, 28 shillings per week ,or 40cents per day. Hope I got that right R.R. ?
Mike Judd

Postby BKKBILL » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:34 am

Mike Judd wrote:I think we all mix it up a bit doing the conversion bit sometimes, it's about time they brought their currency more inline with it's worth. It's a bit like quoting your income in cents, what can you buy with B1 ? I wouldn't like to be trying to live on the pay that I got when doing my thankfully brief stint in the British army in 1950, 28 shillings per week ,or 40cents per day. Hope I got that right R.R. ?

Count your blessings Mike the conversion rate of the Indonesian Rupiah (IPR) is 1,078.288 to one AUS. :mrgreen:
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby MGV12 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:15 am

Might be worth counting those cents in Vietnam

Three cents will buy you

500_dong.jpg

And A$25 a princely

Dong.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:19 pm

MGV12 wrote:If a correction is not due the other way then with a B120,000 per week pension you really should not force your poor wife to slog it out at the office every day!

So what's a week or fortnight or month being fudged got to do with anything, other than making me look rich or poor? My wife works to steer clear of me I think. :D
No wonder we call them whinging poms.
Roger Ramjet

Postby MGV12 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:20 pm

Australians unhappier than 'whingeing Pom' Brits

Australians have been forced to abandon their traditional taunting of Britons as “whingeing Poms”
after a survey found they were less happy despite enjoying growing wealth and a much stronger economy.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... Brits.html

MGV12

Postby geordie » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:31 pm

MGV12 wrote:Australians unhappier than 'whingeing Pom' Brits

Australians have been forced to abandon their traditional taunting of Britons as “whingeing Poms”
after a survey found they were less happy despite enjoying growing wealth and a much stronger economy.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... Brits.html

Like that's going to change anything I think we all pretty much have formed our opinions on life in general and will go to the grave with them :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
What was that prhase You can,t teach an old dog new tricks ??
geordie

PreviousNext

Return to general