Apple versus ......

Any expat related issue or comment.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: Apple versus ......

Postby Andyfteeze » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:26 pm

Soon as you mentioned FTP, WebDAVE, sftp and others, i turned off. I am over technology being my master. Its meant to make life easy, not chase after your tail trying to make it work :evil:
Some guys just love to tinker with software, i dont anymore. I got a life, :lol:
I hear what your saying , there are work arounds, but i dont need to reinvent the wheel!
As I said , love hate.
Andyfteeze

Postby fredlk » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:09 pm

From http://www.businessinsider.com/iphone-6-sales-boost-economy-in-japan-australia-2014-11":

iPhone 6 Sales Are Boosting The Economies Of Entire Countries

A few days ago, a Credit Suisse analyst put out an astonishing report that said Apple's iPhone 6 sales had "pushed up industrial production in September" by 2.7%. The tech sector in Japan rose 12.4% in large part due to the massive sales of the expensive Apple device (it costs about $700/£550, depending where you get it), according analyst Hiromichi Shirakawam.

Do iPhone sales really move the economies of entire countries simply by unleashing massive demand in the tech retail sector? It seems improbable.

Yet today, the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) reports that the country's retail sector ticked up 1.2% in September, boosted by a 9.2% rise in electronic goods sales — due to iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus. ZDNet reports:

September saw a significant 1.2 percent boost, seasonally adjusted, to Australia's retail trade volume, with the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus release playing a large part in the sector's monthly growth, according to the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS).

... "In seasonally adjusted terms, the largest contributor to the rise was household goods retailing (4.1 percent), where electrical and electronic goods retailing recorded growth (9.2 per cent)," the ABS said in a statement. "This figure was influenced by the release of the iPhone 6 during the month.

This seems staggering. And yet, some analysts think Apple may sell 80 million iPhone 6's in the next few months. That's a lot of spending unleashed globally — and think of all the peripherals and app purchases it will generate as a corollary. The iPhone may indeed be a macroeconomic effect all on its own.

Here's the relevant text of the Credit Suisse note from a few days ago:

Japan: Mobile phone related sectors pushed up industrial production in September

Industrial production rebounded and gained 2.7% mom after falling 1.9% mom in August (Exhibit 1). The result was stronger than the expectations (BBG: +2.2%, CS: +1.0%), but continued to underperform the METI's projection (+6.0% mom) in the August survey. Production expanded sharply for ITC equipment (+12.4% mom), benefiting from a surge in the shipments of the newly launched mobile phone (iPhone 6). A positive spillover was observed for production of electronic parts & devices (+5.8% mom).
"
fredlk

Postby fredlk » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:30 am

"Android Lollipop update causes problems"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-30116319

"Users have reported Adobe Air-based apps being wiped from their handsets.

Early adopters of Google's latest Android operating system are warning others of problems with the software.

Issues include the update causing Nexus 7 tablets to run slowly and repeatedly crash, with several users complaining they had become "unusable".

The code also appears to remove apps built with Adobe Air and then prevent them from being reinstalled.

Adobe said it had not been aware of this "critical" bug before Tuesday and had escalated it with Google.

A spokesman for the search firm was unable to comment at this time.

Android 5.0 - also known as Lollipop - is described as a "quantum leap forward" by Google and has attracted several positive reviews, fuelling desire for the software.

It revamps the system's user interface, offers greater control over notifications, and makes changes to the way the OS executes code, which Google said should mean fewer "temporary glitches" than before.

At the moment, it is only available to a limited number of machines, because many network operators and device manufacturers have yet to complete their own tests.

However, owners of Nexus-branded machines - which are sold by Google itself - can install the software by downloading it from the firm's website or, in the case of the Asus-made Nexus 7, accepting an over-the-air update.

Android Lollipop adapts its look to suit smartwatches, smartphones and tablets
Nvidia, LG and Motorola have also released Android Lollipop updates for some of their handsets and tablets.

Dozens of messages posted to Google's own forums suggest that owners of the 2012 version of the Nexus 7, in particular, are experiencing headaches.

"Some apps won't work and some crash. I wish I didn't install the update," wrote Kristen Sawyer.

Another user, nicknamed StretchToo said: "Chrome is dead, unusable, Firefox just about works, the keyboard takes over a minute to load, nearly works if you hunt and peck but dies if you try to swipe."

Android 5.0 was released to the public earlier this month
Some tablet owners have, however, suggested potential solutions to such problems.

"Updated and the Nexus is [so] shockingly bad it is basically unusable, lags just rotating the screen, every task takes 10 seconds to perform if it does it [at all]," wrote Gary Looker.

"I've turned off Google Now, changed transitions to zero and limited it to two background apps maximum like the good people here suggested.

"I shouldn't have to do that, and many people won't know where to turn or who to listen to."

Several Android Lollipop users have also highlighted compatibility problems with Air-based apps.

Users say Android Lollipop refuses to reinstall some wiped Adobe Air-based apps
Air allows developers to use Adobe's Flash and Dreamweaver tools to create software, and is particularly popular with indie video game makers.

Examples of titles that use the tech include Machinarium, Hero Mages and Empire Four Kingdoms, while non-gaming examples include Instaweather Pro and Conqu.

"We were previously unaware of this bug and contrary to other reports, were not working with Google on a fix," wrote Adobe product manager Chris Campbell in response.

"However, we are working with Google on another self-signed certificate issue that is impacting in-app purchases. It's possible the two are related, but we do not have enough information at this time to determine one way or the other.

"That said, we'll be escalating this issue with Google immediately."

Reports elsewhere suggest some users are experiencing problems with text messages, the way contacts are managed, and wi-fi connectivity.

Bugs in major software updates are not uncommon.

Apple apologised in September after faults with iOS 8 caused some of its new iPhones to be unable to make and receive calls, and also restricted their Touch ID functionality.

Apple experienced problems of its own following the release of iOS 8
One expert said in general, there were benefits to waiting a few days after a release date before installing upgrades.

"With any software update it makes sense to watch and see if there are any teething problems," said Ian Fogg, from the IHS Technology consultancy.

"Consumers like it and benefit when their devices gain a new lease of life with new features - but they expect what they used to use to continue to work, and that can be tricky.

"What's striking about Android Lollipop is that it's reaching devices from more manufacturers, more more quickly than previous versions of Android.

"Motorola, LG and Nvidia have devices receiving Lollipop almost at the same time as Nexus devices.

"That has benefits to consumers who get it quicker... but of course makes it more complex for Google, which has to manage problems across a wider range of phones and tablets early on."
"
fredlk

Postby Mike Judd » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:30 am

Well I have my first complaint with Apple, brought my 2 year old I -Pad over with me to Thailand to get on the internet with Whi-fi and over night the battery went Kuput, !
Took it into Apple store in Khon Kaen and they said Bt 10,000 to put new one in ? is that right,? I won't be getting another one in a hurry, maybe an I-Book.
Mike Judd

Postby fredlk » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:46 am

Mike Judd wrote:they said Bt 10,000 to put new one in

A bit of a rip-off. A replacement battery is $99 (3,250 Baht) from Apple and $29.95 (985 Baht) from Amazon.
fredlk

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:00 pm

Just a heads up for those with iPads (may be and iPhones) "Photo Editor by Avery" a free app (with in app purchases) that has just been bought by Adobe, from now until the 31st has all in app purchases free. That would be a total of $200 original prices.

You do need an Adobe account but that is also free.

It looks to be a full featured photo editor, virtually photoshop for the iPad 8)

Check it out here: http://avry.co/getaviary
Sometimewoodworker

Postby fredlk » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:57 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote:from now until the 31st has all in app purchases free.

It says that the in-app purchases are free, but when I wanted to download some it needed my credit card number for a purchase and when I didn't supply it, it wouldn't download. I don't quite trust Adobe, never have.
fredlk

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:55 pm

fredlk wrote:
Sometimewoodworker wrote:from now until the 31st has all in app purchases free.

It says that the in-app purchases are free, but when I wanted to download some it needed my credit card number for a purchase and when I didn't supply it, it wouldn't download. I don't quite trust Adobe, never have.

You need an adobe ID (it's free) I didn't give a credit card number.
Then sign in inside the app
Then go to the store inside the app and you will find that the downloads are free no credit card number asked for

If you don't sign in then there is a price for each item.

The app isn't as good as Photoshop but it's not bad.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:30 pm

Just a quick example

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sometimewoodworker

Postby MGV12 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:32 pm

I-Phone 6 is turning heads huh ... so is this Nokia :lol:

Nokia.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:06 pm

MGV12 wrote:so is this Nokia

I can see it now, just fronted the bank teller and the wife rings. "Where are you"? "I'm at the bank and the nice lady just keeps giving me money". :lol: :lol:
Roger Ramjet

iMac 21.5-inch for sale. 20,000 Baht or nearest offer

Postby fredlk » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:06 am

iMac 21.5-inch for sale. 20,000 Baht or nearest offer.
Because Buy and Sell doesn't appear in the list of unread posts, here a link to my post: http://www.coolthaihouse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4880.
fredlk

Re: iMac 21.5-inch for sale. 20,000 Baht or nearest offer

Postby fredlk » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:29 pm

fredlk wrote:iMac 21.5-inch for sale. 20,000 Baht or nearest offer.
Because Buy and Sell doesn't appear in the list of unread posts, here a link to my post: http://www.coolthaihouse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4880.

SOLD.
fredlk

Re: iMac 21.5-inch for sale. 20,000 Baht or nearest offer

Postby BKKBILL » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:46 pm

fredlk wrote:iMac 21.5-inch for sale. 20,000 Baht or nearest offer.

Fred think the add didn't show up because you posted it. Showed in both locations for me. That was a quick sale.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby Roger Ramjet » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:44 pm

BKKBILL wrote:That was a quick sale.

It was a bargain. :D
Roger Ramjet

PreviousNext

Return to general