Apple versus ......

Any expat related issue or comment.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: Apple versus ......

Postby fredlk » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:20 pm

Mike Judd wrote: leave school at 14 yrs like myself

Education is no excuse for stupidity as you no doubt have learnt in your long and presumably successful life.

A contradictory quote, from Bertrand Russell:
"Men are born ignorant, not stupid; they are made stupid by education."
fredlk

Postby BKKBILL » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:45 pm

My goodness Fred you are on a roll.

Try to remember these are smart phones not god phones, might be time to lighten up. :mrgreen:

'Curved. Not bent’: Rivals mock Apple’s iPhone #bendgate

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/samsung-curve ... 29246.html
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby fredlk » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:09 am

From http://www.huffingtonpost.com/alex-ivanovs/3-things-you-should-keep-_b_5886410.html:

"3 Things You Should Keep Your iPhone 6 From

The iPhone 6 is now in full swing, people are buying the phones out faster than ever before, with the two new phones hitting as many as 10 million purchases over the opening weekend. But, record sales won't make up for security issues, battery glitches, and many other problems that the phone is having.

It's no doubt causing problems for many, one of the most talked about bugs of the new iPhone 6 is that the Plus version of the phone can actually be bent with your bare hands, or with the force that you'll find in your pockets. You can actually find people making videos of their phones bending, at first it was only a test for science, but has now escalated to more iPhone 6 owners.

Apple is working hard to get everything back in fully functional order. The stock is down, the speculation of how Steve Jobs did a much better job at managing the company is already a widespread idea, and developers aren't very pleased with the state of iOS 8 either.

Let's take a look at some clips that people have uploaded to YouTube, showing us what we need to keep our iPhone 6 phones away from.

Water
2014-09-26-iPhone6WaterTestYouTube-thumb.png

The iPhone 6 is not water resistant, and although the first couple of seconds of this video showing that nothing happens when you put the phone in water, after a short while -- it becomes evident that the phone will suck-in any water that's around it. Watch where you put your phone!

Air
2014-09-26-iPhone6and6PlusDropTestYouTube-thumb.png

Neither is the iPhone 6 resistant to being dropped on solid concrete, as we see in this video -- the iPhone 6 experienced some serious damage from being dropped on the ground like that. The phone is durable, but it won't be able to take that many hits for you to be freely throwing it around.

Bending
2014-09-26-iPhone6PlusBendTestYouTube-thumb.png

You might be thinking to yourself that you've got this covered, you feel confident in the fact that you won't be bending your iPhone 6, but don't let the feeling fool you. No matter what, don't try and bend your iPhone 6 with your hands. You can do it, but what's the point? This guy has reviewed the bending feature, and it seems to be more realistic that some care to admit.

Conclusion

We now know at least three things to keep our iPhone 6 from, what else is out there? Has anyone seen a video where the new phone is getting blended? I'm sure it blends.
"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fredlk

Postby fredlk » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:06 pm

From http://www.bangkokpost.com/tech/mobile/435295/samsung-hit-by-gapgate-on-note-4:

"Samsung hit by 'Gapgate' on Note 4

Never shy about mocking rival Apple Corp for product defects genuine or imagined, Samsung Electronics now is fighting claims that its new oversized smartphone has a defect after some customers posted pictures of a gap between the frame and display panel.

The South Korean electronics giant, which had poked fun at rival Apple over reports that its new iPhone model was susceptible to bending, said the "Gapgate" complaints concerning the Galaxy Note 4 were groundless.

After the "phablet" went on sale in China and South Korea on Friday, a number of South Korean users posted or tweeted pictures showing how a business card could be inserted between the display panel and the frame.

Some warned the gap would collect dirt and might even allow fluid into the device.

Samsung insisted the gap was a natural part of design that "does not impact the functionality or quality" of the phone.

"We assure our customers that all Galaxy Note 4 units meet our strict manufacturing and quality control standards," it said in a statement.

A company spokesman added that the model had passed rigorous tests for dirt protection and water resistance.

The Galaxy Note 4 is important for Samsung, which brought the launch forward, apparently with the aim of getting it into the China market before the new iPhone 6, and larger iPhone 6 Plus.

Samsung initially pioneered the market for the "phablet" devices sized between a smartphone and a tablet computer when it introduced the Galaxy Note series in 2011.

The two rivals have locked horns for years in their battle to dominate the global smartphone market, suing each other for alleged patent violations and using aggressive advertising.

In a recent ad for Galaxy Note, Samsung showed a bent phone bowing to a straight phone with a line "Bend to those who are worthy".
"
fredlk

Postby fredlk » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:11 pm

By the way for those of you interested, I am now on Yosemite Beta 4 and it seems pretty faultless and is rumuored to be released around the middle of the month.
There are 1 or 2 things I preferred in Mavericks like bits of the new Safari, but answering phone calls on your iMac is novel to say the least.
fredlk

Postby MGV12 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:31 pm

fredlk wrote:By the way for those of you interested, I am now on Yosemite Beta 4

Is Boo Boo aware that Yogi has released Beta 4? :lol:

Copy_of_farley3.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby fredlk » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:01 pm

MGV12 wrote:Is Boo Boo aware that Yogi has released Beta 4?

:lol:

I said ON Yosemite not IN. :D
fredlk

Postby fredlk » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:26 am

From http://www.forbes.com/sites/markrogowsky/2014/10/05/iphone-6-launch-continues-hot-streak/:

"Is Apple Nearing 20 Million iPhone 6 Sales Already? Signs Point To Yes

The opening weekend for the iPhone 6 was Apple’s best ever for a new smartphone, with 10 million sold in just three days. But with those initial totals always benefiting from preorders, it typically takes a while before the company is able to double them. Though Apple hasn’t put out any official numbers yet, using data from third parties that track such things, it appears the “second 10 million” iPhone 6 and 6 Pluses are nearly all in the hands of customers. Apple’s rumored goal of delivering 70-80 million iPhones between the launch and the end of the year is moving from abstract to real as the numbers come into focus.

In that first flurry of sales, Apple didn’t provide a breakdown between the 6 and 6 Plus, but numerous reports confirmed that the latter sold out rather quickly. This was reflected in the numbers from both Fiksu and Mixpanel, which use different methodologies to track usage. After that opening weekend, Fiksu had the iPhone 6 at 1.82% of all iPhones tracked and the Plus at 0.28%. That gives us a ratio of 6.5:1 and implies that roughly 8.7 million of the total were the vanilla 6.

The early data from Mixpanel isn’t too far off. It recorded 3.22% for iPhone 6 and 0.47% for 6 Plus. The ratio of 6.85:1 is very similar to Fiksu’s. As for the absolute percentages, the two firms track usage in different ways and extrapolate from their data who is online. As I write this, Mixpanel has recorded a whopping “42,664,089,308 events.” Yes, that’s 42 billion so it’s not like they’re just guessing what portion of iPhones are the new models.

Over the past two weeks, growth of the 6 and 6 Plus has continued largely unabated. But what appears clear is that Apple still can’t satisfy demand for the Plus. Consider that Fiksu has 3.69% of tracked phones now showing as the iPhone 6 and just 1.01% as the Plus. While the ratio has shrunk to just over 3.5:1, in absolute terms the smaller phone has again outpaced the larger. iPhone 6 picked up an additional 1.87% of the total base while the Plus gained just 0.73%.

The story is similar with Mixpanel. The 6 is now up to 5.86%, a gain of 2.64%. The Plus, on the other hand, has reached just 1.28%, up 0.81%. The ratio there is about 4.5:1. If we average the two, we get an approximate sales total of more than 21 million and a breakdown that suggests a bit over 4 million of those are the Plus.

Incidentally, you can see in both cases that while the share of the 6 Plus has roughly quadrupled since opening weekend, the mere doubling of the iPhone 6 means it continues to significantly outsell its bigger sibling. We still won’t know for some time what the product mix will ultimately look like given that Apple can’t yet satisfy demand for the phablet (and even the iPhone 6 has spot shortages, especially with third-party retailers). Rumors out of Asia suggest Apple is racing to work with suppliers to get more parts for the 6 Plus into the hands of Foxconn, who assembles the device.

No matter whose data you look at, the iPhone 6 has a bigger share of the pie two weeks in than any of its recent predecessors. Given that the pie itself is larger — there are more iPhones already in use than they were a year or two ago — that’s especially impressive. Last year at this time, for example, Fiksu had the 5s and 5c at just 2.43% of all iPhones. This year’s 4.7% is close to twice as much. There are more than 100 million additional iPhones out there to compete with, too. (Mixpanel’s data is similar.)

A couple of things jump out from the chart. The adoption of the 6 Plus is nearly perfectly tracking last year’s 5c. For Apple, that’s good (and maybe not so good) news on two fronts. First, the 6 Plus is $200 more expensive. Second, the 5c was readily available at launch, including at third-party stores. The 6 Plus is sold out everywhere. The one downside of that could be some would-be 6 Plus buyers are substituting the smaller 6 and costing Apple some margin along the way.

Second, you can see that the iPhone 5 and 5s had almost identical uptake but the 6 is far above those. Again, given the larger pool of iPhones that shows just how popular the new model is. Apple waited a while to bring a bigger screen to market, but it appears to have a huge hit on its hands now that it has.
"
fredlk

Postby fredlk » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:04 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29516806:

"Samsung Electronics forecasts 60% fall in quarterly profit
7 October 2014 Last updated at 01:50

Samsung Electronics has forecast a 60% fall in quarterly operating profit, missing estimates, because of slowing Galaxy smartphone sales.

The world's biggest mobile phones and TV maker said it expects an operating income of 4.1tn won ($3.8bn; £2.5bn) for the three months to September.

That is below analysts' expectations for earnings of 5.2tn won.

The company's full financial results will be released later this month.

Samsung's mobile division, its biggest business, has been struggling to maintain its dominance against rivals such as Apple and Chinese smartphone-makers Xiaomi and Lenovo.

Its flagship Galaxy smartphone line has been losing market share to cheaper models that also have large screens and multiple features.

The South Korean company said quarterly sales amounted to 47tn won, which was below analyst estimates for 50.3tn won.

"Smartphone shipments increased marginally amid intense competition," Samsung said in a statement.

"However, the operating margin declined due to increased marketing expenditure and lowered average selling price."

The company also said it is "preparing new smartphone line-ups featuring new materials and innovative designs, as well as a series of new mid-to-low end smartphones".

Samsung shares rose 1% in early trading in Seoul.

Samsung announced on Monday that it would spend about $15bn on a new semiconductor plant in South Korea, to meet the growing demand for memory chips.

It is set to be the biggest single investment in a chip factory, and construction will begin in the first half of next year with operations due to start in 2017.

Samsung is a major chip supplier to other electronics firms, including major rival Apple.

Samsung is also facing some pressure at its consumer electronics division, which makes televisions, air conditioners and other appliances.

Sales and overall profit are forecast to have dropped because currency fluctuations made Japanese-made rival products cheaper to buy.

The Korean won strengthened about 3.5% against the Japanese yen in the third quarter.
"
fredlk

Postby fredlk » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:54 am

I'm not sure if this belongs here or under LED-lighting:

Screen Shot 2014-10-07 at Tuesday - 07 Oct 2014 - 09.52.33 .png

And I have NO IDEA who Oscar might be. :D
fredlk

Postby Andyfteeze » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:23 am

I have a love hate relationship with my ipad.
You see, its a great toy and tool all in one. i discovered how to navigate around the bay in australia thanks to ipad technology. I managed to make many new friends in places i never knew existed. I can roam the internet at will and find what ever I want. I am now a connected guy!
BUT BUT BUT
I hate updates. Everytime, everytime I say not next time.
Every one of those damn updates sees my still good ipad3 get slower and sslloowweerr and ssslllooowwweeerr.
the only option is an ipad update. How much is a new ipad? How much?
I just love the convoluted way i have to move files around. With my pc, its just click, drag and drop. Ipad? I give up. Its like i only live on the otherside of the barricade but i have to take a train past four stations to get to the other side.
Both systems have pluses and minuses. I use both because I like the flexibility of a pc and simpleness of the apple .
The inability to usb anything from the ipad is a down right manufactured monopoly inducing s**t. I understand why but from a users perspective, very limiting.
you should hear the swearing!! :P Then i does something marvellous and all is forgiven.
Andyfteeze

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:58 pm

Andyfteeze wrote:I have a love hate relationship with my ipad.
You see, its a great toy and tool all in one. i discovered how to navigate around the bay in australia thanks to ipad technology. I managed to make many new friends in places i never knew existed. I can roam the internet at will and find what ever I want. I am now a connected guy!
BUT BUT BUT
I hate updates. Everytime, everytime I say not next time.
Every one of those damn updates sees my still good ipad3 get slower and sslloowweerr and ssslllooowwweeerr.
the only option is an ipad update. How much is a new ipad? How much?
I just love the convoluted way i have to move files around. With my pc, its just click, drag and drop. Ipad? I give up. Its like i only live on the otherside of the barricade but i have to take a train past four stations to get to the other side.
Both systems have pluses and minuses. I use both because I like the flexibility of a pc and simpleness of the apple .
The inability to usb anything from the ipad is a down right manufactured monopoly inducing s**t. I understand why but from a users perspective, very limiting.
you should hear the swearing!! :P Then i does something marvellous and all is forgiven.

IOS Goodreader has a USB app for mac so you can USB most files it reads, it also can FTP, WebDAV, SFTP, SMB and AFP among others

I too have an iPad 3 and will be upgrading to an iPad Air 2 early next year when I'm next in Thailand. They range in price from $499.00 16gb wifi to $829.00 128gb cellular.

It is an easy recommendation to upgrade to the iA2 from the 3 (iPad retina) when it is released it will be night and day.
iPad 4 to iA2 probably
iA1 to iA2 only if you have a good home for the iA1 or you just "need" the latest
Sometimewoodworker

Postby fredlk » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:44 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote:iA1 to iA2 only if you have a good home for the iA1 or you just "need" the latest

I am normally an 'immediate adopter' of new iPhones, iMacs and iPads but this time for the life of me can't find a reason to upgrade. The touch-id might even prove irritating when reading because I am so used to just opening the case cover and it being instantly on.
fredlk

Postby Sometimewoodworker » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:53 pm

fredlk wrote:
Sometimewoodworker wrote:iA1 to iA2 only if you have a good home for the iA1 or you just "need" the latest

I am normally an 'immediate adopter' of new iPhones, iMacs and iPads but this time for the life of me can't find a reason to upgrade. The touch-id might even prove irritating when reading because I am so used to just opening the case cover and it being instantly on.

You can still do that. AFIK touch ID is an option not a replacement.

Are you getting a retina iMac?
Sometimewoodworker

Postby fredlk » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:58 pm

Sometimewoodworker wrote:
fredlk wrote:

You can still do that. AFIK touch ID is an option not a replacement.

Are you getting a retina iMac?

No it's not an option, it's always on as with the iPhone's. You can't get to it without your fingerprint or password.
The new all singing all dancing 5k imac is on my desk being filled by Migration Assistant as we speak. :D
fredlk

PreviousNext

Return to general