Apple versus ......

Any expat related issue or comment.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Re: Apple versus ......

Postby fredlk » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:51 pm

The last few months of 2014's smartphone sales in the USA and I read that it's even better (for Apple) in Japan:
681x419xiPhone-Market-Share-US-2014-Q3.jpg.pagespeed.ic.LHtzr-l_b_dXbO2Az1rq.jpg

So I guess the iPhone 6 isn't as bad as some have made it out to be. :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fredlk

Postby MGV12 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:29 pm

Intel to Apple: we’re so far ahead in terms of CPU performance

Intel says that they are so far ahead of the competition when it comes to PC processors that Apple (and pretty much every other PC maker) has little choice but to use Intel chips.

It was back in 2005 that Steve Jobs made a surprising announcement – that Apple would start to use Intel processors in its Mac lineup. It was shocking news at the time because Intel was the largest chip maker for PCs running Windows, and Microsoft at the time was Apple’s biggest enemy (today, it could be said that Google and Apple are huge rivals). :oops:

In those days, Apple was finding it hard to design chips that could keep up with the lofty plans it had for its Mac computers, so it chose Intel – and they have used Intel chips ever since. But now, after almost a decade of the Intel / Apple relationship, there are increasing rumours that in a few years, Apple will start to make its own chips for its desktop and laptop computers. This is partly because Apple already makes the hugely successful A-series chips which power the iPhone and iPad, based on chip designs from ARM, and then has partners such as Samsung and TMSC to build them. :( :)

http://www.streetwisejournal.com/intel- ... paign=news

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby MGV12 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:57 am

I am one of the few :) who don't buy their products but I wish I had bought some shares a while back .... $25 to $125 in less than seven years!!!!!

Apple: $710 Billion and Counting

http://www.wsj.com/articles/apple-the-7 ... 1423602877

Helps when you don't pay any tax on your profits of course :roll: :P

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby BKKBILL » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:45 pm

Coming soon!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:56 pm

MGV12 wrote:Apple: $710 Billion and Counting

Shortly they will need every single penny of that money to buy the latest breakthrough in batteries; http://blogs.wsj.com/briefly/2015/04/07 ... rt-answer/
They will be in competition with electric companies, car makers and any manufacturers which need batteries for storage. The good part is that the new technology comes from a university team and the university will hold the patent, along with the discoverers/researchers. Let's just hope the whole of the research was not privately funded by a large corporation.
Roger Ramjet

Postby MGV12 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:58 pm

Roger Ramjet wrote:
MGV12 wrote:Apple: $710 Billion and Counting

Shortly they will need every single penny of that money to buy the latest breakthrough in batteries; http://blogs.wsj.com/briefly/2015/04/07 ... rt-answer/
They will be in competition with electric companies, car makers and any manufacturers which need batteries for storage. The good part is that the new technology comes from a university team and the university will hold the patent, along with the discoverers/researchers. Let's just hope the whole of the research was not privately funded by a large corporation.

It's always good to see 'new' technology and there is much frenzied activity surrounding this concept ... hopefully not all being at the behest of those who have 'given so generously' to assist the development process. Not as new as it will appear to the many. Guarantee some share prices [hidden in shell-companies of course] are spiking as I write this ... cynical maybe ... but the development of batteries [like most other 'things' that we all 'need'] have always been controlled by vested interests. Why make do with a Billion Dollars when you can have .........

MGV12

Postby MGV12 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:12 pm

BKKBILL wrote:Coming soon!

As always there are some who are happy to pay the money [$650!!!!] to move with the times/Times:

Apple watch.jpg

"It was only on Day 4 that I began appreciating the ways in which the elegant $650 computer on my wrist was more than just another screen."

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/09/techn ... 31730&_r=0

MGV12

Postby Roger Ramjet » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:16 pm

MGV12 wrote:As always there are some who are happy to pay the money [$650!!!!] to move with the times/Times:

Dick Tracy would be impressed.
Roger Ramjet

Postby fredlk » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:00 pm

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/13/apple-watch-sales_n_7054492.html:

"Sorry, Cynics: Apple Watch Might Be Company's Biggest Launch Ever

People really, really want the Apple Watch.

Nearly 1 million U.S. consumers preordered the tech giant's first smartwatch when it went on sale last Friday. The estimate comes from Slice Intelligence, a firm that uses e-receipts to measure digital commerce. Apple's latest offering was preordered by 957,000 people, who spent an average of $503.83 on the device, putting the watch on track to be the company's biggest new product release ever.

When the original iPhone launched in 2007, it took 74 days to reach 1 million sales. In 2010, the original iPad took 28 days. (Both products were initially only made available in the United States, which is not the case with the Apple Watch.)

Neil Cybart, a finance expert who tracks Apple on the Above Avalon blog, minced no words about the significance of the watch's release.

"It's pretty clear that with the Apple Watch, Apple will have its largest product launch," Cybart said in an interview with The Huffington Post.

That said, while the demand for the device is clearly there, it's unclear whether Apple will actually be able to ship enough watches to outpace sales of the original iPad and iPhone. When Apple released numbers for those devices, it counted units that were shipped, not just reserved via preorder. Angela Ahrendts, Apple's senior vice president of retail and online stores, warned that demand for the Apple Watch may outstrip supply, and customers who placed orders on Friday were already being informed that their orders may not ship until this summer -- months after the product's official April 24 release.

Cybart also noted the importance of global sales of the Apple Watch.

"The big thing here is the country rollout," he said, pointing out that the watch was available for preorder in eight countries beyond the United States. "It says a lot for how many units Apple can actually sell."

Apple announced in March that in addition to the U.S., the watch would be available in Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan and the United Kingdom. The ability to go global is huge for the company: When the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus went on sale last September, their global preorder numbers rocketed past 4 million in the first 24 hours.

Cybart said he expected that the overall weekend preorders for the Apple Watch could potentially reach 3 million units globally. While that would put it below the iPhone 6's first-day preorder numbers, he said it would make the Apple Watch the most successful "new product category" launch.

Of course, high sales aren't necessarily surprising. The Apple Watch connects directly to an iPhone, which enjoyed record sales last year. And Apple's reach across the globe is greater than it's ever been: The company signed a deal with a massive Chinese network just before the launch of the iPhone 6.

Critics have had a mixed response to the Apple Watch. Many call it unnecessary. But consumers, it seems, are ready to spend some cash on a little luxury."
fredlk

Postby MGV12 » Fri May 01, 2015 2:38 pm

Apple says tattoos can cause watch problems

Apple has said some of the functions on its new smartwatch may not work properly when it is worn over tattoos.

Darker-coloured artwork and even changes in darker coloured skin types can fool the light sensors on the back of the watch.

The problem is not exclusive to the Apple Watch, which performed well in independent tests.

But it does show the manufacturer has not solved the sensor problem.

Sensitive sensors

"Permanent or temporary changes to your skin, such as some tattoos, can... impact heart rate sensor performance," Apple said on a support page on its website.

"The ink, pattern, and saturation of some tattoos can block light from the sensor, making it difficult to get reliable readings.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-32537030

MGV12

Postby MGV12 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:00 pm

Not just Apple of course:

Apple's recent explanation of iPhone 4 reception issues--that they're linked to Apple's miscalculation of how it measures signal strength on iPhones--has left many people wondering what that five-bar icon displayed on the phone really means.

Earlier on Friday, Apple issued a statement blaming iPhone reception issues on a software miscalculation rather than on hardware design. Since the iPhone 4 launched last week, thousands of consumers have complained that when gripping the phone around the lower left-hand corner of the device, the signal degrades or calls are dropped.

Apple acknowledged the problem, and explained that customers were simply covering up the antenna with their hand. Now the company says its engineers have made a "stunning" discovery.

People may be finding that their reception is poor and that calls are being dropped not only because they're holding the phone wrong, but also because they think they have a better signal than they actually do. In the statement, Apple says that it had made a mistake in the formula that calculates the number of bars that display the signal strength on all of its iPhones.

http://www.cnet.com/news/5-bar-phone-si ... t-you-faq/

MGV12

Previous

Return to general