Apple versus ......

Any expat related issue or comment.

Moderators: Sometimewoodworker, MGV12, BKKBILL

Apple versus ......

Postby fredlk » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:04 am

We've had the Mac versus PC thread, but this is about Apple in general.

As I mentioned previously I used to be an Apple-hater, until I happened to one day touch an iPod Touch. I was hooked. Apple makes amazing products and the reason they have created such a huge and passionate fan-base is because one can't but help falling in love with their products. I will never buy another computer apart from a Mac although my 3 year old desktop is still good for many more years thanks to the innovative software updates.

I'm in love with my iPad. I never thought I'd say that about a product, but it is amazing. My iPhone - this is my second one - is excellent and improves with each new software update. I didn't miss not having panorama photos on my camera, but Apple thought I should have that possibility. Now I have it I think it's great.

My experience since 2009 with Apple the company and the products I've bought for myself - iPod Shuffle, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4S, iPad 2, iPad 3, MacBook, iMac - plus the software they keep giving me which just gets better and better makes me have total confidence in them as a company. This is evident again in the customers who go crazy at every new launch. I don't need a new phone, in fact mine is perfect, but because I love Apple so much I think I must have the new iPhone 5 like the other 10 million people who will buy one in the first 10 days that it's on sale.

For sale: 9 month-old 64 GB black iPhone 4S with free dock and leather case for any reasonable offer. New price: 28,900 Baht (plus about 2,500 Baht for the dock and case).
I can only justify buying myself something new if I can move the old on to a good new home - or get some money for it. :oops:

Disclaimer: I am not employed by Apple nor do I have shares in the company. I'm just a (small) huge fan.
fredlk

Re: Apple versus ......

Postby BKKBILL » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:38 am

I also have an iMac and think the software is superior. Having just replaced the power supply at a very inflated price replacing my key board last year (this could have been caused by cleaning the keys). For me an intense feeling of deep affection would be very over the top.

Since you use GPS think waiting until Apple gets it’s maps right or Google releases an app to replace what was removed in hast by the new os update would be prudent.

From ConsumerReports.org

http://news.consumerreports.org/cars/20 ... oints.html

Think my next phone will be the Samsung S3

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones ... 667/review
It's not who you know, it's whom you know.
BKKBILL

Postby fredlk » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:58 am

BKKBILL wrote:Since you use GPS ...

Sygic Aura since 2009.
fredlk

Postby Maseratimartin » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:12 am

I prefer SAMSUNG!
Myself the Galaxy
My wife the Note
And the daughter the Note tablet 10.1

...and friends who were Apples...change now to SAMSUNG!?!
:wink:
Maseratimartin

Postby BKKBILL » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:29 pm

fredlk wrote:Sygic Aura since 2009.

That's good fredlk as I hear apple maps is a loser with even some fanboys complaining. Doubt this would have happened if Jobs was still with us, hope the wheels are on tight

Maseratimartin you might like this Samsung Galaxy S3 - HDTV/MHL Adapter
video for connecting the to the TV.

I have a Samsung TV and this is supposed to be built in will have to wait for my daughter to come over to be sure as she has this phone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmbqGy3N ... ata_player
BKKBILL

Postby fredlk » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:02 pm

BKKBILL wrote: I hear apple maps is a loser with even some fanboys complaining.

It's usable, but needs work. On the gps-tracker FindMyFriends / FindMyiPhone the Thailand maps are in Thai when zoomed out and in English when zoomed in. The maps are from a later date than Google's because on theirs my house wasn't built and on Apple Maps / Tom Tom / TeleAtlas the house is there and I have moved in. :D There's far too much detail which makes it a bit difficult to use at first, but I'm sure they'll get their act together and I am looking forward to using the turn-by-turn navigation next time I'm out and about. I will however make sure I know where I'm going, just in case.
fredlk

Postby Maseratimartin » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:22 pm

[quote="BKKBILL
Maseratimartin you might like this Samsung Galaxy S3 - HDTV/MHL Adapter
video for connecting the to the TV.

I have a Samsung TV and this is supposed to be built in will have to wait for my daughter to come over to be sure as she has this phone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmbqGy3N ... ata_player[/quote]

I still use the S2 and use the optional adapter to watch movies on TV. Works great and good quality!
Due to the exchangeable memory card it is perfect. My DVD player is retired!

As my company provides the phone and it's just 6 months old I need to wait a few more months before I accidentally drop it... :wink:

My next Samsung device will be the SMART TV. Just have some discussions with my wife as the current TV still performs well...
Maseratimartin

Postby BKKBILL » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:57 pm

It’s not a good week to start an Apple versus ......
They could have kept Google maps on until MAPS was working properly but oh no Apple was going to bury Google, Samsung and a host of others by any means including the US judicial system. One of my reasons for switching to Samsung.

And their response was.......

You try mapping the world.

That's the gist of Apple's response to frustrated users befuddled by the error-prone new Apple Maps app that has replaced Google Maps on the iPhone.
Since Apple released its updated iOS 6 software earlier this week, the web has been buzzing with complaints from users around the world who are pointing out inconsistencies and errors with Apple Maps, which has mislabeled major cities, erased entire towns, shows airports where there are none, and doesn't provide transit directions.

Apple PR's answer to those complaints: Hold tight, we're making it better. Oh, and you'd be doing us a big favor if you could just keep using it a bit more, even if that means getting lost now and then, or having to revert to those foldable paper map things (they're making a comeback!).

The rest at

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/2 ... 03204.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BKKBILL

Postby MGV12 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:54 pm

BKKBILL wrote:And their response was.......

You try mapping the world.
l

Ah but the point is that they haven't had to map the world!

"TomTom agreed a landmark deal in June this year to supply Apple with mapping data for its latest iOS mobile operating system after the tech giant ditched Google Inc.'s maps service. "

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000087 ... lenews_wsj

TomTom always features well in customer reviews but it appears that Apple, in a hurry to get online and boot out Google, didn't do a good enough job in applying the front end.

“Some days I am an optimistic pessimist ... other days I am a pessimistic optimist”
MGV12

Postby fredlk » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:33 am

I couldn't find the article online, but maybe this is legible when you click on it (from yesterday's Guardian):
Screen Shot 2012-09-23 at Sunday - 23 Sep 2012 - 08.30.57 .png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fredlk

Postby BKKBILL » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:26 pm

Has Apple Peaked?
By JOE NOCERA
Published: September 21, 2012

If Steve Jobs were still alive, would the new map application on theiPhone 5 be such an unmitigated disaster? Interesting question, isn’t it?

As Apple’s chief executive, Jobs was a perfectionist. He had no tolerance for corner-cutting or mediocre products. The last time Apple released a truly substandard product — MobileMe, in 2008 — Jobs gathered the team into an auditorium, berated them mercilessly and then got rid of the team leader in front of everybody, according toWalter Isaacson’s biography of Jobs. The three devices that made Apple the most valuable company in America — the iPod, the iPhone and the iPad — were all genuine innovations that forced every other technology company to play catch-up.
No doubt, the iPhone 5, which went on sale on Friday, will be another hit. Apple’s halo remains powerful. But there is nothing about it that is especially innovative. Plus, of course, it has that nasty glitch. In rolling out a new operating system for the iPhone 5, Apple replaced Google’s map application — the mapping gold standard — with its own, vastly inferior, application, which has infuriated its customers. With maps now such a critical feature of smartphones, it seems to be an inexplicable mistake.
And maybe that’s all it is — a mistake, soon to be fixed. Butit is just as likely to turn out to be the canary in the coal mine. Though Apple will remain a highly profitable company for years to come, I would be surprised if it ever gives us another product as transformative as the iPhone or the iPad.
Part of the reason is obvious: Jobs isn’t there anymore. It is rare that a company is so completely an extension of one man’s brain as Apple was an extension of Jobs. While he was alive, that was a strength; now it’s a weakness. Apple’s current executive team is no doubt trying to maintain the same demanding, innovative culture, but it’s just not the same without the man himself looking over everybody’s shoulder. If the map glitch tells us anything, it is that.
But there is also a less obvious — yet possibly more important — reason that Apple’s best days may soon be behind it. When Jobs returned to the company in 1997, after 12 years in exile, Apple was in deep trouble. It could afford to take big risks and, indeed, to search for a new business model, because it had nothing to lose.
Fifteen years later, Apple has a hugely profitable business model to defend — and a lot to lose. Companies change when that happens. “The business model becomes a gilded cage, and management won’t do anything to challenge it, while doing everything they can to protect it,” says Larry Keeley, an innovation strategist at Doblin, a consulting firm.
It happens in every industry, but it is especially easy to see in technology because things move so quickly. It was less than 15 years ago that Microsoft appeared to be invincible. But once its Windows operating system and Office applications became giant moneymakers, Microsoft’s entire strategy became geared toward protecting its two cash cows. It ruthlessly used its Windows platform to promote its own products at the expense of rivals. (The Microsoft antitrust trial took dead aim at that behavior.) Although Microsoft still makes billions, its new products are mainly “me-too” versions of innovations made by other companies.
Now it is Apple’s turn to be king of the hill — and, not surprisingly, it has begun to behave in a very similar fashion. You can see it in the patent litigation against Samsung, a costly and counterproductive exercise that has nothing to do with innovation and everything to do with protecting its turf.
And you can see it in the decision to replace Google’s map application. Once an ally,Google is now a rival, and the thought of allowing Google to promote its maps on Apple’s platform had become anathema. More to the point, Apple wants to force its customers to use its own products, even when they are not as good as those from rivals. Once companies start acting that way, they become vulnerable to newer, nimbler competitors that are trying to create something new, instead of milking the old. Just ask BlackBerry, which once reigned supreme in the smartphone market but is now roadkill for Apple and Samsung.
Even before Jobs died, Apple was becoming a company whose main goal was to defend its business model. Yes, he would never have allowed his minions to ship such an embarrassing application. But despite his genius, it is unlikely he could have kept Apple from eventually lapsing into the ordinary. It is the nature of capitalism that big companies become defensive, while newer rivals emerge with better, smarter ideas.
“Oh my god,” read one Twitter message I saw. “Apple maps is the worst ever. It is like using MapQuest on a BlackBerry.”
MapQuest and BlackBerry.
Exactly

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/22/opini ... l?_r=1&hpw
BKKBILL

Postby Roger Ramjet » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:15 pm

Now this article will be of interest to Samsung owners: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakin ... 91066.html
I find it absolutely hilarious that "the analyst" couldn't figure out why only 5 million were sold and there is now a waiting list of one month for the iPhone 5 to be manufactured and distributed again. Perhaps I can help him out by saying you can't sell more than you manufacture and you can't sell more in a day than are available for sale.
Roger Ramjet

Postby BKKBILL » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:39 pm

Mystery over Google map app as firm says it has NOT submitted new software after being dumped by Apple
• Chairman Eric Schmidt says firm 'has not done anything yet'
• Admits decision would ultimately be made by Apple
By MARK PRIGG

Google has no immediate plans to create an iPhone app to replace its dumped Maps app, the search giant claimed today.
It had been reported that Google has already submitted an app.
However, Google's Executive Chairman Eric Schmidt denied the claim - but refused to rule out launching an app in the future.

Eric Schmidt, executive chairman of Google, launches the Nexus 7 tablet in Japan, telling reporters the firm had not submitted an iPhone maps app.
Apple launched its own mapping service earlier this month when it began providing the highly anticipated update to its mobile software platform iOS 6 and started selling the iPhone 5.
But users have complained that Apple's new map service, based on Dutch navigation equipment and digital map maker TomTom NV's data, contains glaring geographical errors and lacks features that made Google Maps so popular.
'We think it would have been better if they had kept ours,' Schmidt told a small group of reporters in Tokyo.
'But what do I know?'
'What were we going to do, force them not to change their mind? It's their call.'

Schmidt said Google and Apple were in constant communication 'at all kinds of levels.'
But he said any decision on whether Google Maps would be accepted as an application in the Apple App Store would have to be made by Apple.
'We have not done anything yet,' he said.
Google and Apple were close partners with the original iPhone in 2007 and its inclusion of YouTube and Google Maps.
But the ties between the two have been strained by the rise of Google's Android mobile operating system, now the world's leading platform for smartphones.

The Clifton Suspension Bridge in Bristol as it appears in Apple's maps. The firm has come under fire for some of its 3D photography which has distorted buildings.
Schmidt said he hoped Google would remain Apple's search partner on the iPhone but said that question was up to Apple.
'I'm not doing any predictions. We want them to be our partner.
'We welcome that. I'm not going to speculate at all what they're going to do.
'They can answer that question as they see fit,' he said.
Google provides Android free of charge and allows developers to add applications on an open basis, betting that by cultivating a bigger pool of users - now at over 500 million globally - it can make more money by providing search functions and selling advertising.
'Apple is the exception, and the Android system is the common model, which is why our market share is so much higher,' Schmidt said, adding that success was often ignored by the media, which he said was 'obsessed with Apple's marketing events and Apple's branding.
'That's great for Apple but the numbers are on our side," he said.
At one point, Schmidt, who was in Japan to announce the launch of Google's Nexus tablet here, used the device to show off a new function of Google Maps.
The feature allows users to shift their view of an area by moving the device in the air without touching the screen, similar to the effect of looking around.
'Take that Apple,' he said, adding quickly, 'That was a joke by the way.'
BKKBILL

Postby Roger Ramjet » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:55 am

Bill,
You mentioned earlier about Magic Mouse and I totally agree, they are brilliant: I just bought one as my other had stopped scrolling properly.
Roger Ramjet

Postby BKKBILL » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:22 am

Roger Ramjet wrote:Bill,
You mentioned earlier about Magic Mouse and I totally agree, they are brilliant: I just bought one as my other had stopped scrolling properly.

They are nice RR.

Did you happen to check out the Magic Trackpad? It will be my next donation to apple. Think fredlk uses one.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC380 ... d?fnode=56
BKKBILL

Next

Return to general